Seth Davis Freudian slip... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seth Davis Freudian slip...

Wait! As enlightening as all these discussions are, I thought the point of the post was the Freudian slip, and whether Davis meant to type that or not. I think the slip was real and may reveal an anti-Cuse bias, but was unaware he had any bias. I hate to be of the mind that "everyone hates us." There's not a lot of finesse with that.

Understandable, since he doesn't have any negative bias. As you note, one of the more irritating memes on here.

He's arguing that SU might go into a slide. In furtherance of that argument, he likes that we're getting reduced contributions from the freshman. Language makes sense to me.

I'd bet a lot it was a typo. Though it hasn't been fixed yet...

I think Davis' comments, and some of the faint praise we've heard from ESPN, have been justified to an extent.

Before the Providence game, we were playing like a tall mid-major team. Lots of outside jumpers. MCW driving but not finishing. And almost no balance inside with underperforming DC2 and Rak and offensively limited Keita. Outside, aside from JS, who's streaky, MCW has not shot the ball well and TC hasn't contributed offensively. So I think DC2, MCW and TC are the inexperienced players Davis is talking about. For a while, our length in the zone covered this inexperience up. Temple exposed us as young team with too many question marks inside.

I'm not sure when Davis wrote that article, but obviously he didn't see the Providence game. Last night, our best players were a sophomore and a junior inside and a sophomore on the perimeter. It was the seniors who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. MCW not only drove .. he finished. His 17 pts, 5 steels, 6 rbs and 6 assists (actually 8, but who's counting) and 1 TO in 38 minutes, carried the veterans. In the future as his shooting and finishing improve, teams are not going to be able to stick on their men .. they'll have to collapse on Michael. His assist numbers will go back through the roof (my prediction) and Davis will get back on his bandwagon.

Even more importantly, from a front line that had given us very limited production (mostly glue points from CJ), against PC we got 28 points, 19 rbs and 7 blocks out of the 4 and 5 (CJ and Rak). It's not like the Friars didn't have any size. Cooley started 6'9" Kadeem Batts and 6'10" Sidiki Johnson to counter our size. Johnson played hard, pulling down 7 boards. But he only scored twice, and Rak erased Kadeem Batts, who had 1 basket and 5 boards in 37 minutes.

Do I think our bigs have arrived? No. Rak is not yet a consistent post player. DC2 is turning into a bit of an enigma on defense. But our rebounding numbers are starting to look pretty good. And that was a helluva performance from Rak last night ... a "flash" of what he's capable of.

The game was ugly, another BE half-court grinder. And 2 of the 3 newer players didn't do much. But at least we had enough inside offense to beat a pretty hot-shooting providence team on the road, while BT, TC and JS were a combined 1 for 13 from 3.

If our bigs keep producing at anywhere near their level at PC, Seth will forget about the "freshmen" problem. Trust me.

Make the free throws and we win the Temple game on a night when MCW had a poor game.
or
SU is a few free throws away from being undefeated.

I agree for all the vision and assists MCW racks up he struggles to hit dirty and especially Cooney in rhythm. Its almost like he freezes Cooney out when they are on the court, and its not because Cooney has been cold, just a flaw in his game I think is overlooked because he gets the ball inside so well

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I dont think Gottlieb or Davis hate SU, per se. It's the SU fans they hate.

Make the free throws and we win the Temple game on a night when MCW had a poor game.
or
SU is a few free throws away from being undefeated.
Sure ... we missed lots of free throws. But the same things I posted were still true -- we are not yet a balanced team and we got run inside against Temple. Our reliance on streaky outside shooting is the reason Temple was a close game in the first place.

Here is Davis' 2nd half flop team from a cnnsi.com article

Second-Half Flop Team
syracu_50.gif
Davis
Syracuse: I think the Cuse is good, but based on their record and ranking, they have nowhere to go but down. The zone is tough to score on as always, but the backcourt combo of Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche has trouble converting three-pointers and free throws. I also like that the Orange is getting fewer contributions from its freshmen as the season goes on. That has all but eliminated its depth.

If you read a lot of his articles, you know he constantly hates on Syracuse. Now look at his line above that reads "I also like that the Orange is getting fewer contributions from its freshmen as the season goes on."

What he meant to say is "I also DON'T like that the Orange is getting fewer contributions from its freshmen as the season goes on."

Saying he doesn't like it furthers his point that we might be a flop team...blah blah blah. But since he hates Syracuse and wants us to fail, he accidently wrote that he likes that we are getting less contribution from our freshman.

Or it was just a typo.

Wait! As enlightening as all these discussions are, I thought the point of the post was the Freudian slip, and whether Davis meant to type that or not. I think the slip was real and may reveal an anti-Cuse bias, but was unaware he had any bias. I hate to be of the mind that "everyone hates us." There's not a lot of finesse with that.

Davis has picked us for the Final Four in the past. Everyone needs to chill.

I'd bet a lot it was a typo. Though it hasn't been fixed yet...

Which is just as common as the typo itself. The column already cleared the editors. They're not going to change it unless Davis (or a reader) points it out.

We can hate it all we want, but his points aren't wrong.

We have no real depth right now, Baye is the only sub JB trusts. Our 3 pt shooting is streaky, and Triche and MCW are not lights out threats by any stretch.

I don't know that means we'll falter down the stretch, but it does mean we're not clearly getting better as a team. Our freshman have all stood still or regressed, and MCW is playing better right now, but is not matching his early season play.

As an orange homer, I'm optimistic. If my career depended on making reasonable projections about college bball, I'd be a little bearish on SU.
Did you watch Grant today?

Davis has picked us for the Final Four in the past. Everyone needs to chill.

Was watching two different channels with analysts talking BB favorites, including Bilas (whom we all respect), and Cuse was not mentioned ONCE -- even to say why they weren't being mentioned! Looks like Michigan, Louisville, Kansas, Indiana, Gonzaga, Butler, Duke and even Minnesota have better cred than SU at the moment for Final Four capability. That's OK for now (January) because the Orange has a lot of development to do, and today's game forced a lot of that -- thank you, James Southerland! Let's hope the Villanova game opens a can of Whoop A$$ for this season.-VBOF