Seth Greenberg - Best Freshman Ever | Syracusefan.com

Seth Greenberg - Best Freshman Ever

Easiest choice ever

Not according to the other 3 guys on game day

Hard to argue against that. I randomly rewatched the 2003 final four game against Texas last night on YouTube. One of his best games in Orange. He was on another level, and as Seth said, he didn’t have other 1st rounders on that team just yet. Warrick was just starting to sniff his potential. Zion has 3 other 1st rounders on this Duke team.

Carmelo’s skill level, footwork, and poise were off the charts. He was obviously a very good athlete with a good combination of size, strength, and quickness for his position. But he wasn’t some athletic freak. He was the total package.

And he once and for all blew the doors off of a very stupid and outdated mentality that was still hanging on after Chris Webber gave the intitial kick that weakened the frame.

To me it's either Anthony or Durant.

Durant stats were a bit better and he got them to a similar 3 seed. Durant was better in the regular season, especially early on, but Melo was a stud by the time the tournament rolled around.

Melo's peak was better when your peak matters most. Decision - clear Melo.

To me it's either Anthony or Durant.

Durant stats were a bit better and he got them to a similar 3 seed. Durant was better in the regular season, especially early on, but Melo was a stud by the time the tournament rolled around.

Melo's peak was better when your peak matters most. Decision - clear Melo.
Agree on Durant. He’s definitely #2 in my opinion. But Melo won a championship, so that’s the clear advantage.

Hard to argue against that. I randomly rewatched the 2003 final four game against Texas last night on YouTube. One of his best games in Orange. He was on another level, and as Seth said, he didn’t have other 1st rounders on that team just yet. Warrick was just starting to sniff his potential. Zion has 3 other 1st rounders on this Duke team.

Probably his best game. Ran into a Texas fan with his kid after the game at a gas station. He just said, “Was he doing that all year?!?!” Yep. He put on a show that night.

Still the most “egg on face” POY voting in recent CBB history. TJ Ford wasn’t even close to Melo.
TJ Ford lit us up with a bunch of assists, but the guys who did the most damage against us were Brandon Mouton and Brad Buckman. But the main storyline was that nobody could guard Melo - we moved the ball around so well that game to find the perfect matchup to exploit. Forgot how great this game actually was. YouTube is a black hole - so many great old games to watch for free.

TJ Ford lit us up with a bunch of assists, but the guys who did the most damage against us were Brandon Mouton and Brad Buckman. But the main storyline was that nobody could guard Melo - we moved the ball around so well that game to find the perfect matchup to exploit. Forgot how great this game actually was. YouTube is a black hole - so many great old games to watch for free.

McNamara also played very well that game. We scored so easy. Just clicking on all cylinders.

I recall Schenectady native James Thomas having a solid game for Texas too.

Anthony Davis comes to mind. Like Melo, he led his team to a championship. Dominated the game defensively, averaging 5 blocks per game to go with 15 pts and 10 boards. But Melo was a maestro on offense, equal on the boards and carried more of the load for his team. Melo FTW.

Anthony Davis comes to mind. Like Melo, he led his team to a championship. Dominated the game defensively, averaging 5 blocks per game to go with 15 pts and 10 boards. But Melo was a maestro on offense, equal on the boards and carried more of the load for his team. Melo FTW.
Davis was obviously great too, but also had a ton of 1st rounders around him (Terence Jones, MKG, Marquise Teague). Still giving the edge to Melo, given his supporting cast.

I hated Seth up until today

Carmelo played like a senior. Teams couldn't go on a run on us because he would do something on offense all by himself to stop it.

The natty sealed it.

He was the best.

Michael Beasley also had a ridiculous freshman year, clearly not better then Carmelo but he was great.

Maybe best freshman ever but if Lew Alcindor and Peter Maravich had been allowed to play as freshman it might be a different conversation.
Every "best ever" list is dominated by players in the last 20 or 25 years. Basically the guys making the list aren't old enough to remember the greats. Plus the general lack of "film" from then. The guys on the SU game said somebody mentioned that Battle (?) having touchs of Magic in his game and the response was where would he have seen Magic play.

Derrick Rose also had a very good freshmen season.

Every "best ever" list is dominated by players in the last 20 or 25 years. Basically the guys making the list aren't old enough to remember the greats. Plus the general lack of "film" from then. The guys on the SU game said somebody mentioned that Battle (?) having touchs of Magic in his game and the response was where would he have seen Magic play.
Anyone believing Battle has touches of Magic in his game never saw Magic play either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom