Seth Greenburg said it best | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seth Greenburg said it best

Full_Rebar said:
His goal was to make a career playing basketball. I'm sure it is in the NBA, but to say he'd be a failure if he played in Europe or China, or England is crazy. He's two months into his college career and he's a future bust?

Who said he was a bust?

But so many have him leaving after one year...when he clearly isn't ready.

Would it kill the kid to stay for 2 years? Would it?

TBCuse11 said:
yep. but not as harsh as Chris. And again, you cant use the same exact approach with every player.

Difference was he was comparing Chris to the draft analysis that he disagreed with. If someone brought had Mike G or TC in their mock lottery - he'd probably be just as harsh.

The primary victim in these comments is not Chris - it's the draft gurus. I have no doubt that he's heard it all from JB 1st hand at practice...

Difference was he was comparing Chris to the draft analysis that he disagreed with. If someone brought had Mike G or TC in their mock lottery - he'd probably be just as harsh.

The primary victim in these comments is not Chris - it's the draft gurus. I have no doubt that he's heard it all from JB 1st hand at practice...

A coach who had his two most talented "returning" players poached a year before they were supposed to leave is not going to sit around and be silent while history starts to repeat itself, especially if he thinks the kid will lose out. JB has always been straight up with his guys about when it's time to go. I still say he has his players' backs more than any draftnik, agent runner sleaze.

what other sport besides college BB has players that leave the instant they do well? This is hurting the product that is put out on the floor. Modern teams cannot score. College and pro football teams do not compete with each other but college basketball competes with pro basketball. Since football teams play so few games they are sold out every game. The NBA plays so many games that many teams do not sell out. The NBA has no reason to increase the min age or college years as they would just as soon see the college game stagnate.

I don't get it why you guys put so much on his name coming in? He was supposed to be a stud! I get that, but when push comes to shove he has not produced. He can't make layups so how is he a lottery pick? You guys must know something about basketball that I don't.
My question is why is he trying to make layups? Dunk the damn ball, Chris, you are 6-10 and by all accounts a very good athlete. If I had the basketball skills I have now and his height I would be in the NBA. I am one hell of a 5-11 power forward in pick up games (even during the tough games at the at Y when people are playing hard), I'd be an even better 6-10 power forward!

Who said he was a bust?

But so many have him leaving after one year...when he clearly isn't ready.

Would it kill the kid to stay for 2 years? Would it?

It might. Maybe he doesn't have the killer instinct, or the desire to gain 25 pounds of muscle...who knows? The NBA Draft has nothing to do with being ready, it's about when does a NBA team think you are worth the investment.

Every college player these days has to decide more than just being ready. They have to decide if they want to do the work to stay eligible to play college ball, do they trust that returning will help them personally and/ or professionally, they have to decide if the draft class the following year is deeper. McAdoo is the poster boy for the argument that says go when you can- he went from a likely top 10 pick as a Fr. bench player to ending up undrafted, and that's millions of dollars lost.

I agree that these players should get until June to decide, but it's on the NCAA to make the adjustment because the NBA doesn't care.

My question is why is he trying to make layups? Dunk the damn ball, Chris, you are 6-10 and by all accounts a very good athlete. If I had the basketball skills I have now and his height I would be in the NBA. I am one hell of a 5-11 power forward in pick up games (even during the tough games at the at Y when people are playing hard), I'd be an even better 6-10 power forward!

He's not strong enough to dunk unless he gets a running start. He has no vertical.

3-19 in his last 4 games. Getting your shots blocked by the rim will do that.

If he's smart, he'll spend the next 3-4 months in the weight room.

If he buys into the hype that he's already a guaranteed lottery pick, and he doesn't need to put in the extra work, he'll be on a lot of late night bus rides to and from Bakersfield.

He's not strong enough to dunk unless he gets a running start. He has no vertical.

3-19 in his last 4 games. Getting your shots blocked by the rim will do that.

If he's smart, he'll spend the next 3-4 months in the weight room.

If he buys into the hype that he's already a guaranteed lottery pick, and he doesn't need to put in the extra work, he'll be on a lot of late night bus rides to and from Bakersfield.
He is already thinking NBA ... Kid is gone

OrangeXtreme said:

Huh? His vertical and athleticism are fine.

orangenauburn said:
He is already thinking NBA ... Kid is gone

He's been thinking about the NBA for a few years now, and his game reflects that.

Soon to be known as the most unmemorable early SU draft pick in history...easily surpassing Donte Greene.

cuseguy said:
He's been thinking about the NBA for a few years now, and his game reflects that. Soon to be known as the most unmemorable early SU draft pick in history...easily surpassing Donte Greene.

I'm curious how his game reflects that.

two3zone said:
I'm curious how his game reflects that.

He's the same player he was 2-3 years ago when SU first spotted him and JB declared him our best recruit since Carmelo.

He's been resting on his laurels.

I've been crucified on this board for saying the kid was a tad overrated and needed to improve to live up to the hype.

Now, maybe, some are seeing that.

didn't sound too keen on ennis's decision either.

edit :
(i believe lottery picks are only the first 14 selections and vonleh and warren are both coming off injuries.)

imo though, ennis made the best decision.

I dont think he is an nba point guard. Yesterday, now, tomorrow or in 2023. He is nonathletic and incredibly weak. Which is the opposite of every NBA PG these days. Dont give me Andre Miller or Steve Nash. Different time, different place.

Ennis at least got himself a few million bucks. Maybe he get a 3rd or a 4th yr deal. And then he will go to Europe.

3 more years of college may have made Ennis more stronger - but he will be significantly stronger in the nba. And he def wasnt getting that much faster or quicker or more athletic. So in essence he was basically a boat or a woman (i kid :rolling:) a depreciating asset.

Look, when you enter the NBA draft before you are ready, sure you might get picked on potential. However, once in the league, you are on your own. You are going to have to find it within yourself to improve and expand your game. There isnt going to be this hand holding that you get in college. Nobody is going to look over your shoulder and tell you to make sure you get your work in. Alot of guys have a problem with this, having been coddled since their AAU days given their talent and potential.

From the outside looking in, and I could be wrong about this, but it APPEARS to me that Chris is not the type of guy that is self motivated. He looks like he needs constant pushing. I think he would be far better served staying in school and improving his game. Many make HUGE leaps between their first and second years.

Its just a bad business decision to go if he continues to play like this. Bad, bad decision. He will lose money on it.