Setting a high ball screen with Chukwu | Syracusefan.com

Setting a high ball screen with Chukwu

We can't let this thread fall wayside.

People have tried to actually justify this screen so we need to have them chime in.
We have one game left. I have been counting it down all season. Quite frankly, and this is sad, the season has been better than I thought it would be. I don't want to see, and I don't think we will, a team this limited on offense again in my lifetime. Playing 3 on 5 is no fun to watch.

Just brings another defender up. Have they ever even passed to PC on the roll? I doubt it.

Using Chukwu consistently as a high ball screener is honestly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in my 30+ years of watching basketball.

1.) He is zero threat to roll off the screen for a shot or dunk
2.) The defense completely ignores him and doubles the ball
3.) Battle and/or Howard never even attempt to get around the generic slow big guy hedging out to double. They literally just slowly dribble backwards.
4.) Chukwu doesn't even set good screens to begin with

For an offensively-challenged team, the only thing the high ball screen with Chukwu accomplishes is taking 8-10 seconds off the shot clock, forcing us into a bad, rushed shot as the shot clock runs down. It's a complete joke.

Using Chukwu consistently as a high ball screener is honestly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in my 30+ years of watching basketball.

3.) Battle and/or Howard never even attempt to get around the generic slow big guy hedging out to double. They literally just slowly dribble backwards.

For an offensively-challenged team, the only thing the high ball screen with Chukwu accomplishes is taking 8-10 seconds off the shot clock, forcing us into a bad, rushed shot as the shot clock runs down. It's a complete joke.

And anybody who knows any sort of strategy about this game can state exactly what you just said.

And yet... Here we are.

It is mind-boggling that we continue to do it. We should have Chukwu positioned on the opposite block from the side where the ball is on every possession. Normally, I'd say: post up the center but he's useless in the post. Therefore, put him on the opposite side so he doesn't clog the ball-side of the lane and is available for lobs, the only way he scores anyway.

The fact that JB hasn't ditched the high ball screen really makes me question what he's thinking in other areas. Some of us have been railing about it all year. Ridiculous.

No. Cant remember who. But someone has tried to wrap logic around why it's done.

I'm convinced townie doesn't even watch the games or know what basketball is. He just has photos of Jimmy all over his mantle.

I literally laughed out loud at your last paragraph. And I don't think the first sentence is innacurate. If you notice, he never mentions specifics about our team or strategy. Not sure he's ever mentioned a player by name.

It doesn’t matter who is setting the screen, the screener isn’t getting the ball. It’s being set only to give room for a 3 point shot or a drive to the basket for a Tyus or Frank.

It doesn’t matter who is setting the screen, the screener isn’t getting the ball. It’s being set only to give room for a 3 point shot or a drive to the basket for a Tyus or Frank.

Cherie, you know basketball. Now come on. First off, Chukwu hasn't set an actual screen all year. He wanders into the area of the defender and then wanders out of the area toward the basket. Why hasn't he been taught how to set the screen. If he has, why isn't he benched the second he doesn't set it correctly. It never gives room for a 3-pt shot or a drive. It creates a double team every time. Literally. It hasn't worked all year. Yet we still do it 10-20 times a game at the very least.

The one time Bourama set a ball screen, he did it just above the elbow, leading to a Tyus drive, when he was fouled and went to the line. Bourama set it correctly. In fact, the defender ran into him. It was a hard but clean screen.

Which it doesn't. So... now what?

I think a reporter has to ask JB what his logic is with this. Or has someone already asked on his call-in show?

We set the same eph’n screens with Keita too and Coleman as well. Worked about as much then. Dumbest play ever.

I think a reporter has to ask JB what his logic is with this. Or has someone already asked on his call-in show?

You know he wouldn't give a real answer. He'd just say that he's the coach and he's been doing it for a long time and he knows what's best for the team.