Setting a high ball screen with Chukwu | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Setting a high ball screen with Chukwu

Another thing. Most embarrassing game I've seen from our bigs.
At one point we had both 4/5 setting high ball screens on the same play! Chukwu and Marek 30 feet away. I’m convinced JB is just trying to unclog the lane and relying on guards to beat two defenders

You know he wouldn't give a real answer. He'd just say that he's the coach and he's been doing it for a long time and he knows what's best for the team.
Even more accurate I think he would try to defend it saying we like to do that to give the guards a choice to drive, shoot or pass to the roller. Knowing full well they are never going to pass that ball. Its just sad.

Not a single person can say that JB doesn't just roll the ball out. Hes done it for an entire career. The difference is that hes had players that could make him look good by winning most times until our 5 years skid here. Hes a HOF coach for recruiting players and letting them play...and the zone

I literally laughed out loud at your last paragraph. And I don't think the first sentence is innacurate. If you notice, he never mentions specifics about our team or strategy. Not sure he's ever mentioned a player by name.

Roberson. He had plenty of rude things to say about Roberson. (But I agree, never any basketball talk from that guy. Not sure why he posts on a basketball board.)

Even more accurate I think he would try to defend it saying we like to do that to give the guards a choice to drive, shoot or pass to the roller. Knowing full well they are never going to pass that ball. Its just sad.

Not a single person can say that JB doesn't just roll the ball out. Hes done it for an entire career. The difference is that hes had players that could make him look good by winning most times until our 5 years skid here. Hes a HOF coach for recruiting players and letting them play...and the zone

The line of thinking that if you’re not running some highly structured, rigid, pattern offense, then you’re just rolling the balls out is so wrong.

Jim Calhoun praised Boeheim as an offensive coach. I’ll take his word.

Roberson. He had plenty of rude things to say about Roberson. (But I agree, never any basketball talk from that guy. Not sure why he posts on a basketball board.)

Don't remember the Roberson stuff but since JB trashed him, it makes sense.

We set the same eph’n screens with Keita too and Coleman as well. Worked about as much then. Dumbest play ever.

I GOT IT!!

Chucky actually has a killer crossover from there, but he's afraid to show it off, because then NBA scouts would come calling, and he's pledged full allegiance to JB and will never leave him!

It is mind-boggling that we continue to do it. We should have Chukwu positioned on the opposite block from the side where the ball is on every possession. Normally, I'd say: post up the center but he's useless in the post. Therefore, put him on the opposite side so he doesn't clog the ball-side of the lane and is available for lobs, the only way he scores anyway.

The fact that JB hasn't ditched the high ball screen really makes me question what he's thinking in other areas. Some of us have been railing about it all year. Ridiculous.

Finally! This game we largely stopped doing the Chukwu high ball screen (except for a few times down the stretch) and positioned Chukwu on the weak side block. And it worked. Also, involving Marek as a trigger man worked to perfection. Better late than never.

Marek is such a solid passer and now that he's making plays when he gets the ball, it should open up shots for our big 3.