Seven seed not out of the question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seven seed not out of the question

Either way, I hope we don’t play Thursday night, unless it’s late. I’m teaching class until 8pm.

I actually think Washington ends up a 7 seed.

Always prefer a Friday/Sunday bracket. Allows you to enjoy the madness Thursday stress free

exactly. if we lose thurs then it ruins the rest of the weekend. plus with the tyus injury we could just the extra day.

Entering the week (based on the matrix)

Syracuse was 13th last in, 9.2 avg seed.
Minnesota was 10th last in, 10.2 avg seed (full avg seed behind)

I would say with a Purdue win it's probably a toss up right now. And while they had a sub 500 BIG record, the metrics love the BIG this year and think they are the best conference in America.

I think the 20 game schedule was a big advantage for the BIG metrics wise. They had very good pre-conference results, and were going to be near the top or at the top, but just having 2 extra quality games because of the 20 game schedule (and the multiplier effect caused by that) made their numbers pop even more.
It’ll be intriguing to see what the committee looks at most closely for seeding. Our efficiency numbers, especially on offense, have been trending upwards for several weeks now—and it’s been apparent from our improved play on the court (despite taking 4 losses to top 5 teams). We’re now at 33 in the BPI and 35 on KenPom. But our NET rating continues to lag stubbornly in the low 40s. I think the NET has some real flaws to it—which have been enumerated elsewhere. So I hope the committee recognizes that fact (that it’s a new metric they just developed) and they instead take a more holistic approach to giving out bids and seeding—using the NET but also the established efficiency metrics and overall resumes and quality wins.

Side note: i can’t believe I’m saying this but I feel bad for Clemson. Their efficiency numbers are now in the top 30, with a NET in the mid 30s, with basically a top 10 defense. But they’re outside the field on the BracketMatrix, despite rating significant higher than lots of teams seen as being in the field like Arizona State, Minnesota, Washington, Seton Hall, TCU, Oklahoma, Baylor, Central Florida. The reason? Because they only have one quad 1 win and 10 Q1 losses. They just couldn’t pull out Ws in some of their close games against Q1 teams, and that’s going to keep them home.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom