Class of 2025 - SF Aaron Womack (WI) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (9/30/24) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 SF Aaron Womack (WI) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (9/30/24)

We'll see! Who knows, maybe by next summer we won't have a spot for him or he'll want to go somewhere he can play more.

Okay, there is no connection to us not getting anyone with us taking this kid. We have had our eye on him for a while. Thought Marq might offer and if they did, we didn't want to spend the effort recruiting him because he would go there. They didn't. We pounced. Now, the good news is that he can shoot. And that he is probably still growing. His dad is 6'8. And he has grown 3 inches in the last year. He needs to get stronger but he could see some time next year because he can shoot. He isn't a 5 star recruit. But, he didn't cost a lot either. This has nothing to do with Anthony. I expect us to sign him. Guys, it's okay to get guys like this.

Wait, he doesn't have 4 stars? He must be trash. People are pretty hilarious with their reactions on here. Take a breath y'all.

Welcome to cuse Aaron...happy to have you. The class of 2025 has turned into the class that almost was. Love Sidiq and Kiyan, but we pushed for some serious talent outside of those 2 (Cenac, Jamison, Frost, Abaev, Lewis, Tillery, ect) and fell short. I'm assuming Red will push for high level transfers next year and hoping for an even stronger class of 2026 (Rippey, Smith Jr Hopefully). Excited for this year and I'm expecting to make the big dance with Donny Freebird and Big Lamp! CUSEEEEEEEE

Okay, there is no connection to us not getting anyone with us taking this kid. We have had our eye on him for a while. Thought Marq might offer and if they did, we didn't want to spend the effort recruiting him because he would go there. They didn't. We pounced. Now, the good news is that he can shoot. And that he is probably still growing. His dad is 6'8. And he has grown 3 inches in the last year. He needs to get stronger but he could see some time next year because he can shoot. He isn't a 5 star recruit. But, he didn't cost a lot either. This has nothing to do with Anthony. I expect us to sign him. Guys, it's okay to get guys like this.

That type of growth spurt might explain the level / caliber of offers.

A 6-2 shooting guard is different than a 6-5 guy who might still be growing.

That type of growth spurt might explain the level / caliber of offers.

A 6-2 shooting guard is different than a 6-5 guy who might still be growing.
Guys often get clumsy for a while after growing three inches so quickly. It can make guys look less athletic while they are figuring things out.

At this point, when your first 3 options go elsewhere, you take your fourth option if you like him.

I'm curious to see if we still can get Abaev or if we're actually out.

It's starting to feel like rooting for the Kansas City Royals, when we're constantly hearing we can't compete in NIL.

For a comparison, this kid plays very similar to Bell. Bell is a couple inches taller. But their games are very similar. Strong shooters, athletic, needed time in weight room, rebounding is not a strong suit. Womack will be playing the 2-3. Bell is a 3-4 but style of play, strengths and weaknesses are VERY similar

I'm wondering if our thinking is...
1. We can develop him, he'll stick around, he won't leave after one year, -OR-
2. He'll develop in 1-2 years, then bolt for more NIL cash elsewhere (see: Maliq)

First, all for taking a flyer with a kid that may need time to develop if he has some upside and some core skills. Have the schollies, use them.

But let's all be very real - even if this kid was a take, having him be the SF we land without Shon, Frost or Jemison is not good.

I don't want to hear about the portal. We have no proof we can land a high profile guy unless there are significant extenuating circumstances.

No Shon, Frost, Jemison, Tillery or Acaden.

Nothing against this kid, because I don't mind the take - you have schollies, use them like I said. But don't try to tell me Red is killing it. Don't tell me how tall this kid's dad is. There is some serious copium going on in this thread. Winners get it done.

We have to hope to make the tourney this year. And as of now, that is what we're looking at again for a benchmark next year.

And I will re-state: I don't mind taking a chance on this kid. But miss me with all the other stuff.

Chuck Norris Cordell Walker GIF by Sony Pictures Television

We take this verbal with the understanding we can still take Abaev, retain Bell for another year, or have to get a veteran SF from the portal

So
so is Abaev still on the table?

First, all for taking a flyer with a kid that may need time to develop if he has some upside and some core skills. Have the schollies, use them.

But let's all be very real - even if this kid was a take, having him be the SF we land without Shon, Frost or Jemison is not good.

I don't want to hear about the portal. We have no proof we can land a high profile guy unless there are significant extenuating circumstances.

Nothing against this kid, because I don't mind the take - you have schollies, use them like I said. But don't try to tell me Red is killing it. Don't tell me how tall this kid's dad is. There is some serious copium going on in this thread. Winners get it done.

We have to hope to make the tourney this year. And as of now, that is what we're looking at again for a benchmark next year.

And I will re-state: I don't mind taking a chance on this kid. But miss me with all the other stuff.

I think this is fair.

I do view Womack as a "take" as slightly different than the other issue, which can't be denied. We missed out on all of our top prospects at PG and SF. That's bad, and can't be spun positively.

It overlaps with Womack, if you consider him a Plan D. Alternatively, he might have the goods, and be a quality fall back option who isn't a "settle." Time will tell [and i haven't seen enough film to form any informed judgement].

But the misses on the recruiting trail with several high-profile prospects can't be disputed.

Take a breathe man. So retaining Bell and adding Davis and Taylor wasnt quality to you for portal activity while only have one slot to really “sell” because Donnie has the 4 locked locked locked up

Take a breathe man. So retaining Bell and adding Davis and Taylor wasnt quality to you for portal activity while only have one slot to really “sell” because Donnie has the 4 locked locked locked up

I am going to say this again so people don't think I'm a hater - I have loved Red since he was in high school. I cannot stress how much I want him to succeed.

But here is my point: I'm done convincing myself that we still have a legit chance at being a second tier elite team anymore or that it's in our near future. And that is my expectation for Syracuse because that is what I grew up with.

I get that this is not all Red's fault. I get that he has to build up out of the muck. I get what JB left him with.

And if we are the team that is just happy making the tournament and that's what the majority of the fan base is good with, I'll shut up.

But I don't think it is. And I do not find it acceptable that Davis and Taylor are who we got. I do not find it acceptable that we missed on Acaden, Tillery (and even worse if we were never in it), Jemison, Shon and Strong. I don't. If I am being unfair, I get it. I'm just a fan. Who cares what I think, ya know? And I'm saying that seriously with no snark. If we can't sell Syracuse because we got one top ten kid (who is, to be very clear, not on the top tier level of the other top players like Flagg, Harper, Edgecomb), then let's just pack it in for ever being elite.

But I don't want to hear how if 7 things happen right for this kid, he may be good for us. I want to get great players and then if this kid hits, it just puts us over the top.

I love this team. I love the school. I love Red. I will convince myself that this Womack kid will hit a growth spurt and end up our DerMarr Johnson because I am insane. But right now, in a sober time of assessment and reflection, no way.

I am going to say this again so people don't think I'm a hater - I have loved Red since he was in high school. I cannot stress how much I want him to succeed.

But here is my point: I'm done convincing myself that we still have a legit chance at being a second tier elite team anymore or that it's in our near future. And that is my expectation for Syracuse because that is what I grew up with.

I get that this is not all Red's fault. I get that he has to build up out of the muck. I get what JB left him with.

And if we are the team that is just happy making the tournament and that's what the majority of the fan base is good with, I'll shut up.

But I don't think it is. And I do not find it acceptable that Davis and Taylor are who we got. I do not find it acceptable that we missed on Acaden, Tillery (and even worse if we were never in it), Jemison, Shon and Strong. I don't. If I am being unfair, I get it. I'm just a fan. Who cares what I think, ya know? And I'm saying that seriously with no snark. If we can't sell Syracuse because we got one top ten kid (who is, to be very clear, not on the top tier level of the other top players like Flagg, Harper, Edgecomb), then let's just pack it in for ever being elite.

But I don't want to hear how if 7 things happen right for this kid, he may be good for us. I want to get great players and then if this kid hits, it just puts us over the top.

I love this team. I love the school. I love Red. I will convince myself that this Womack kid will hit a growth spurt and end up our DerMarr Johnson because I am insane. But right now, in a sober time of assessment and reflection, no way.
Yeah when looking back at the last 5 years, avg recruiting has led to average results

This is a really good post. Now let's hope we can win enough games this year to convince more kids we can be what we used to be.

why don't we let the portal guys play first before you pass judgement on "they aren't acceptable". Why do you think a class full of freshmen is going to make leaps and bounds in today's ncaam? There's not many 18 and 19 years old who do well in this current environment against 24 years olds especially a team full of them. I'm bullish on HS recruits these days, you win with a mixture sure but also you're completely forgetting that while we may miss on these HS recruits, they might end up being here eventually later down the road.
You might be right on the portal guys, but let's see them play.