Class of 2017 - SF Nahziah Carter to Washington | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Nahziah Carter to Washington

I just wrote about 500 words and then erased it all. I don't know if it is because it is Friday or I am just tired, but I am getting a headache going through the possible scenarios. I guess I am just going to trust the coaches.

Ha. I've done that. I'll trust the coaches, even if that trust has eroded lately with our recruiting "plan."

I think many of us are suffering from commit withdrawal. I know I am. But think about team needs and then check off the boxes that Carter provides. Athleticism...check. High powered family...check. Shooting...nope. Shooting...nope. Shooting...nope. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to stash athletes and develop them. We need a shooter at the three and a point guard. He doesn't suit either of those needs. I want a commit as badly as anyone, and I was ready to jump on this guy, but I don't think he is the right fit, right now.

I don't disagree about the shooting but the way he attacks the rim and is a scoring guard, which this team will need. SCORING like many have said. Where do you plan on finding scorers/shooters this late in the cycle? He could help with scoring for a team that right now needs all the help it can get in that department.

Fine. I'm not sure anyone is confident we will land Tucker and Ayala, so who are our other high school options? Nahziah could be a good one, despite not being a good outside shooter. We need guys to get to the rim too. That could be a strength next year with OB, MM and TB.

No doubt. I think Tucker makes a decision next week, at least I hope so. That should get everything moving. At this point I don't think there is any reason to be waiting on Ayala. If he wants to be at SU he will and so far he's not.

Ha. I've done that. I'll trust the coaches, even if that trust has eroded lately with our recruiting "plan."
Yeah, but I know that I am a commitment junky. I get jumpy when it has been too long between commitments. And, this team has definitive needs and limited space and dreadful class balance, so all things have to be considered. So, my mind races about all scenarios, like the computer in War Games and finally, I come to the conclusion, the only way to win is not to play. So, I am just going to sit back and watch what the coaches decide to do, knowing that they have more invested in this program than I do. We'll see how long that lasts.

I don't disagree about the shooting but the way he attacks the rim and is a scoring guard, which this team will need. SCORING like many have said. Where do you plan on finding scorers/shooters this late in the cycle? He could help with scoring for a team that right now needs all the help it can get in that department.

I think the bottom line is most people want us to get a shooter and a guard who can play the point. I agree, those are obviously are primary needs. People also want us to go the 5th year route outside of Ayala and Tucker so we don't burn a 2018 scholarship. Again, logical. I view Carter as the best high school option if we don't get Ayala and Tucker. If someone has a better high school option, I think all of us are all ears.

Here are a few realistic scenarios: 1) Tucker, Carter, grad transfer PG
2) Carter, grad transfer PG, Dolezaj
3) Ayala, Tucker, open scholarship
4) Ayala, Dolezaj, open scholarship
5) Carter, grad transfer of some sort

I don't know why I typed those scenarios. Just trying to figure out what could unfold. I'm guessing the Tucker decision comes first, hopefully in the next three weeks or so.

No doubt. I think Tucker makes a decision next week, at least I hope so. That should get everything moving. At this point I don't think there is any reason to be waiting on Ayala. If he wants to be at SU he will and so far he's not.

Yeah, not sure why I'm including Ayala as a possibility, other than things did look good as recently as...what...two weeks ago? I still think if he goes '17 we get him. I guess that's why I'm including him. Tucker is maybe 50/50. That's why Carter looks like he could be a factor. As I said, please name me other '17 guys in the mix for us.

Yeah, not sure why I'm including Ayala as a possibility, other than things did look good as recently as...what...two weeks ago? I still think if he goes '17 we get him. I guess that's why I'm including him. Tucker is maybe 50/50. That's why Carter looks like he could be a factor. As I said, please name me other '17 guys in the mix for us.

I understand why you are including him. The staff is still trying to get him for this season. I'm fine with them doing that but I think they should be trying to get someone else at guard as well at this point. I agree if he goes 2017 its still SU if not I think both Ayala and Cuse will gradually move in different directions.

Wouldn't mind getting this kid, but...
At this point in his career, do we have a head coach that adjusts his coaching/playing style to his players' skill set? Or does he require them to transform from square pegs into round ones...

I think the bottom line is most people want us to get a shooter and a guard who can play the point. I agree, those are obviously are primary needs. People also want us to go the 5th year route outside of Ayala and Tucker so we don't burn a 2018 scholarship. Again, logical. I view Carter as the best high school option if we don't get Ayala and Tucker. If someone has a better high school option, I think all of us are all ears.

I don't know why I typed those scenarios. Just trying to figure out what could unfold. I'm guessing the Tucker decision comes first, hopefully in the next three weeks or so.

There is no better HS option - that's the problem.
It's not a great one. And it's really not solving the current issues we have, at all.

Why sign what is likely a 4-year developmental/program guy (who may never actually develop, see: Kaleb & Buss), when we need guard/wing help NOW.

I'd rather us use a Grad transfer as Plan B, since they can likely contribute more NOW, and then go after another solid HS kid for '18;
instead of settling for whatever is available in the HS ranks now.

Carter is a settle.

Wouldn't mind getting this kid, but...
At this point in his career, do we have a head coach that adjusts his coaching/playing style to his players' skill set? Or does he require them to transform from square pegs into round ones...

He adjusted his style in those games we won where he spread the floor and allowed Battle and Gillon to take their guys to the basket. Carter is perfect for that. He's a great slasher.

He adjusted his style in those games we won where he spread the floor and allowed Battle and Gillon to take their guys to the basket. Carter is perfect for that. He's a great slasher.

You can't slash effectively if nobody respects your outside shot, and plays you to drive 100% of the time.

Yeah, but that works when you have White and Lydon standing at the three point line, keeping their guys out of the lane. If Battle is the only shooter, then teams will pack 5 guys in the lane on us.

There is no better HS option - that's the problem.
It's not a great one. And it's really not solving the current issues we have, at all.

Why sign what is likely a 4-year developmental/program guy (who may never actually develop, see: Kaleb & Buss), when we need guard/wing help NOW.

I'd rather us use a Grad transfer as Plan B, since they can likely contribute more NOW, and then go after another solid HS kid for '18;
instead of settling for whatever is available in the HS ranks now.

Carter is a settle.

I get that but what if we don't get Tucker and or/ Ayala? I'm pretty sure we are only taking one grad transfer, so we'd need one high school kid. (Unless we go grad transfer and Dolezaj)

Just think this kid would do better in a uptempo system, we just don't run enough anymore. Would totally not compliment Battle in our current offense imo...

You can't slash effectively if nobody respects your outside shot, and plays you to drive 100% of the time.

Yeah, but that works when you have White and Lydon standing at the three point line, keeping their guys out of the lane. If Battle is the only shooter, then teams will pack 5 guys in the lane on us.

You guys have me dead to rights. But maybe we get Carter and a shooter.

I'm with orangefog. Problem is, I don't know how to play chess. Can Joshua teach me? Right now, I'm playing tic tac toe and I keep tying.

Just think this kid would do better in a uptempo system, we just don't run enough anymore. Would totally not compliment Battle in our current offense imo...

He wouldn't be complimenting Battle. He'd back him up and play a few minutes at the 3, if he could. He'd be primarily a developmental guy.

I'm with orangefog. Problem is, I don't know how to play chess. Can Joshua teach me? Right now, I'm playing tic tac toe and I keep tying.

The only winning move, is not to play. :p

What a waste of typing. Sorry guys. Just frustrated. I'm like fog. Just very anxious to see how this plays out. Hopefully Tucker decides soon.

Well, here is why I am hopeful, no matter what. Let me preface this by saying I am typically an optimist and this is the basis for my thoughts. I think Frank will take the challenging season and turn it into a positive. He will work hard to become a better point guard and shooter. He made great strides as a shooter this past season, and I think he will get even better. And, while I believe true leaders are born, not being a pain in the ass would be a huge leap forward for him. I think that Thompson will improve his lateral movement enough to be able to play forward and be able to be a stretch four. He really does have a nice stroke, and I think he will be unleashed next season. So, that would give us three shooters on the floor, without the SF being one of them. So, I am optimistic about next season, and with a couple more suitable players, who knows how good this team could be next year.

Well, here is why I am hopeful, no matter what. Let me preface this by saying I am typically an optimist and this is the basis for my thoughts. I think Frank will take the challenging season and turn it into a positive. He will work hard to become a better point guard and shooter. He made great strides as a shooter this past season, and I think he will get even better. And, while I believe true leaders are born, not being a pain in the ass would be a huge leap forward for him. I think that Thompson will improve his lateral movement enough to be able to play forward and be able to be a stretch four. He really does have a nice stroke, and I think he will be unleashed next season. So, that would give us three shooters on the floor, without the SF being one of them. So, I am optimistic about next season, and with a couple more suitable players, who knows how good this team could be next year.
Boy, I'm sure glad all our "ifs" next year aren't candied nuts...

I am hoping for #1. I think Ayala is definitely out for 2017. Is Tucker, Carter, and Dolezaj an impossible scenario?