Class of 2017 - SF Nahziah Carter to Washington | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Nahziah Carter to Washington

In my view Carter isn't a 1 and done type player. So I imagine he wouldn't be seeing much time behind Battle or anyone. It is good to have depth in your roster. Right now what happens if Battle gets hurt or sick again? We going to start Washington and Howard back court and play them 40 minutes each because we literally have nobody else.

Exactly. And Carter is very thin and needs to fill out, so the 2 might be his best position next year. Give him a few minutes spelling Battle and a few minutes at the 3 if he proves he could handle that. Down the road, he might develop a jumper and could be a great 3. He has the athleticism.

I agree. I'm certainly not a coach , but I'm having a difficult time understanding this type of recruiting strategy. i just feel that In addition to depth , offering multiple players at the same positiom helps to eliminate the all eggs in one basket. More importantly , to a degree, wouldn't it put pressure on players to make a decision faster ? Create a sense of urgency.

Uh huh... This staff doesn't understand the concept of leverage.

Uh huh... This staff doesn't understand the concept of leverage.

After 40 years?

I feel part of our thinking is looking at 18 also. With no seniors we want to make sure we have several ships for 18 where we are working hard and offering multiple guys at the same position.

After 40 years?

I feel part of our thinking is looking at 18 also. With no seniors we want to make sure we have several ships for 18 where we are working hard and offering multiple guys at the same position.

I should've added the word "lately" to my sentence. JB has gotten great players but lately they haven't used leverage... At all.

After 40 years?

I'm afraid if Syracuse doesn't make the Tournament in 2017, then recruiting in 2018 will be that much harder. Two consecutive NIT's won't look so hot.

After 40 years?

I sort of agree there but we have 3 open scholarships for now, get another back next year and then will probably get at last one more with Tyus and/or TT leaving early. That's 5-6 open slots for the 2018 class. Others may also leave before then, as well.

I do want us to get better talent though instead of loading up on developmental Program guys.

I'm afraid if Syracuse doesn't make the Tournament in 2017, then recruiting in 2018 will be that much harder. Two consecutive NIT's won't look so hot.

Yes,sir.

Which is why IMO we've got to take a chance and offer this guy. There is no 2018 if 2017 is mediocre again.

Or other guys...I do like him but the point is we should use every available scholarship in '17. The guys we are going for in 2018 shouldn't shy away from a little competition, especially considering we are not looking at 5 stars. Carter is a 3 star, not to take anything away from him at all.

Or other guys...I do like him but the point is we should use every available scholarship in '17. The guys we are going for in 2017 shouldn't shy away from a little competition, especially considering we are not looking at 5 stars. Carter is a 3 star, not to take anything away from him at all.

100% agreed!

Or other guys...I do like him but the point is we should use every available scholarship in '17. The guys we are going for in 2018 shouldn't shy away from a little competition, especially considering we are not looking at 5 stars. Carter is a 3 star, not to take anything away from him at all.

If we use every 17 scholie (we won't), we could end up with just 2 available in 18.

If we use every 17 scholie (we won't), we could end up with just 2 available in 18.

Could but wouldn't. And I know we are only going to add two guys max. I don't agree with that but whatever.

Has his shooting improved? Why is he getting so many offers now? What has changed? It makes no sense to wait to offer this kid. There is no way Tucker could think he is taking his spot.

Say we go Carter Tucker and a 5th year guy. Battle and Thompson go pro and then we get 1 back would give us 4 ships for 2018. That is plenty big enough. Plus outside chance Tucker goes pro would give us 5.

Say we go Carter Tucker and a 5th year guy. Battle and Thompson go pro and then we get 1 back would give us 4 ships for 2018. That is plenty big enough. Plus outside chance Tucker goes pro would give us 5.

If we go 5th year guy, if TT goes pro, if Tucker goes pro. Lots of ifs. Class could be 2 or as many as 4 imo.

Last edited:
If we go 5th year guy, if TY goes pro, if Tucker goes pro. Lots of ifs. Class could be 2 or as many as 4 imo.

There are ifs every year what if we strike out with everyone in 2018 just like 2017 and only get 2 commits again?

In my view Carter isn't a 1 and done type player. So I imagine he wouldn't be seeing much time behind Battle or anyone. It is good to have depth in your roster. Right now what happens if Battle gets hurt or sick again? We going to start Washington and Howard back court and play them 40 minutes each because we literally have nobody else.

The kid is a 3-star recruit. Not a knock on him at all, but I don't see anyone suggesting he'll be a one and done type player. He has good athleticism, but he needs a lot of improvement on his shooting range and his frame before he can even consider professional basketball.

And just because we are lacking depth doesn't mean there aren't other options. There are still plenty of grad transfers that I'm sure we could get involved with at any moment and be serious contenders. They may not be Andrew White caliber, in fact they won't be, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue them. We need players who can come in and play right away next season. We already have 4 freshman, 2 sophomores, and 2 juniors. That's plenty of young players to develop for one year. Not only can grad transfers give us the depth and minutes we need for next season, but they are also only a one year commitment.

Sometimes deferring a scholarship is a good idea. For example, had we deferred Obokoh's scholarship a year, perhaps we could have had a chance at Thomas Bryant. Instead, once Howard, Richardson, Lydon, and Diagne signed, we ran out of scholarships to offer and couldn't get Bryant even if we wanted him. I think this is another situation where deferring makes more sense, especially if we miss out on Tucker. This is Syracuse basketball we are talking about. Syracuse shouldn't have to be falling back and taking what comes our way. We should choose our players and they should choose us.

As for the 2018 class, it sounds like there are a number of SG/SF that we can get involved with and have a good shot at landing. Antwann Jones is retweeting Syracuse on twitter and has the Griff connection. There's a kid named Buddy Boeheim who may have a connection as well. Jeenathan Williams is flying under the radar but I really like him and he said the Syracuse offer was a dream come true. Sounds like we are going hard after the Brewster boys in Sidney Wilson and Nate Roberts and that's been a Syracuse pipeline that hopefully we can tap back in to. We could ramp it up for Ayala, Swider, Carmody, Ryan, Policelli, or a few others and have a decent shot at landing any of them. It's not like we would be deferring blindly with no expectation of what wings are available next year.

Bryant wasn't coming here for lack of a scholarship.

Saving scholarships is silly IMO. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and nothing is guaranteed. Kids leave programs all the time for multiple reasons, sometimes its mutual and sometimes its not. This isn't Colgate basketball.

Saving scholarships is silly IMO. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and nothing is guaranteed. Kids leave programs all the time for multiple reasons, sometimes its mutual and sometimes its not. This isn't Colgate basketball.
I mostly agree with you, except I do want to make sure we have scholarships available for 2018 guys. You are right, guys leave for many reasons so it is likely that we will end up with scholarships available, but the 2018 guys have to see that there are spots for them. And, I prefer our A list guys in 2018 over what is left in 2017, for the most part.

I'm not suggesting we defer the scholarship completely. By going after grad transfers, we solve the issue of needing immediate contributors in 2017-18 while still being able to get wings in 2018 from a broader selection of recruits. This late in the game it just feels like we'd be settling for Carter if Ayala/Tucker don't come through.

I think people are concerned that if we keep going after grad transfers then we'll never get back to filling out the roster with freshman like normal. But there's no reason to believe that would be the case. With the sanctions ending soon and really only Tyus Battle likely to declare early next year, I think we'll get back to the normal ways of filling out our rosters with freshman starting with the 2018 class.

I liked a lot of the A-list guys in 2017, too. None of them committed to Syracuse. :(

Duke, KU, and UK don't recruit with open spots until April when their guys transfer or declare. Neither does 'Zona. I understand the general ickiness of that tactic, but during a roster crunch, Syracuse tied up what amounts to 7 scholarships (one for two seasons and one for five seasons) for centers who provided next to nothing (and trust me, I don't say that out of spite or dislike for those kids, but it's just how it shook out). The sanctions suck and the scholarship penalties suck, but Syracuse can't shoot themselves in the foot at the same time. Chukwu should/could graduate next year and if he can't beat out a freshman and a PF who can't play the defense for center minutes then I don't think there's much of a reason for him to stay on a shorthanded team. Howard is an enigma and if he can't perform after three seasons then he's another guy they can recruit over. Add a 5th year this season and they only lose that scholarship for one year. There's three spots and that doesn't include a Tyus and (less likely) Thompson early departure.

I'm not suggesting we defer the scholarship completely. By going after grad transfers, we solve the issue of needing immediate contributors in 2017-18 while still being able to get wings in 2018 from a broader selection of recruits. This late in the game it just feels like we'd be settling for Carter if Ayala/Tucker don't come through.

I think people are concerned that if we keep going after grad transfers then we'll never get back to filling out the roster with freshman like normal. But there's no reason to believe that would be the case. With the sanctions ending soon and really only Tyus Battle likely to declare early next year, I think we'll get back to the normal ways of filling out our rosters with freshman starting with the 2018 class.

I agree. Taking a grad transfer this season can only help. Even if we are at 11 ships, we get one back to 12 next year, we get one for the grad, one for Battle to the NBA and likely a 4th through transfer or NBA. At this point if we aren't getting Ayala then give me a grad PG or Combo and Tucker. If Tucker goes to G-Tech why not take Carter.

I say its a win win. We get a guy who would most likely accept our offer. Stays in NY and is familiar with Griffin.
He is a 3/4 year player depending on his development.
His uncle is Jay Z. That is a huge deal to young recruits. Could help us land some guys down the road.

To me this would be a good investment.

I agree. Taking a grad transfer this season can only help. Even if we are at 11 ships, we get one back to 12 next year, we get one for the grad, one for Battle to the NBA and likely a 4th through transfer or NBA. At this point if we aren't getting Ayala then give me a grad PG or Combo and Tucker. If Tucker goes to G-Tech why not take Carter.

We need a wing that can play at least 20-25 mpg next season. To me, Carter would seem to fit much better at the top of the zone, at least until he fills out more in order to bang down low for rebounds in the ACC. His shooting is my biggest concern and if that never comes around he's going to get recruited over or forced to transfer.

I honestly think this Syracuse team can get back to the tournament next year if we bring in a quality grad transfer guard and a grad transfer wing. We have two games against BC, Pitt, Wake Forest, and Virginia next year, home games against Clemson, NC State, and VT and road games against Florida St. and Georgia Tech. Most of the aforementioned teams are either due to take a step back or will at least be near our level of competitiveness.

If we bring in Carter, he could give us 5-10 minutes of high energy basketball off the bench next year. If we bring in a ready-to-play grad transfer, we could be a top 8 ACC team -- maybe even better.