Class of 2019 - SF Tyrese Samuel 6'7" (Canada) to Seton Hall | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SF Tyrese Samuel 6'7" (Canada) to Seton Hall

This is the type of kid Jay Wright goes after and loves. This kid can ball and will be a team player for more than one year. This is why he is going to the Final Four. It seems we wait sometimes to the last minute to offer or get in on a certain recruit and by then it s to late. You snooze , you lose.

He keeps saying he can reclassify. Maybe the staff won’t risk dealing with the NCAA clearinghouse.
I mean, we have up to 4 open scholarships and nobody else in the pipeline. Even if there's a possible NCAA clearinghouse delay, it won't exactly set us back in any way.

I mean, we have up to 4 open scholarships and nobody else in the pipeline. Even if there's a possible NCAA clearinghouse delay, it won't exactly set us back in any way.

It’s not the delay. It’s making sure we get a kid who is cleared and red flags not popping up. I think this kid would be a great fit for our needs if he’s good to go. He’s expressed an interest and seen how Oshae has thrived.

Seems like we could use pretty much any body we can get at this point, but I'm not super impressed with these videos personally. Certainly don't see "T-Mac Potential" like that first video says lol

Why be concerned if this kid has "tracy mcgrady potential"? What is wrong with taking a kid
because he's a solid player? One of JB's great teams had Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins, and
Arinze Onuaku, none of whom were HS superstars, but they were players. That's what SU
should be looking at as depth players. He's not being recruited as a one year guy, so find some
skilled depth.

Kev

Why be concerned if this kid has "tracy mcgrady potential"? What is wrong with taking a kid
because he's a solid player? One of JB's great teams had Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins, and
Arinze Onuaku, none of whom were HS superstars, but they were players. That's what SU
should be looking at as depth players. He's not being recruited as a one year guy, so find some
skilled depth.

Kev

Agree 100%. Our best teams were filled with good players who were four year / program guys, interspersed with a few higher rated recruits. We need to get back to that as a team.

Getting one-and-dones [or none-and-dones, in Bazley's case] who aren't truly elite guys isn't getting the job done, when those guys are bailing at an alarming rate before optimizing their value to the program in many cases. We need to build quality depth, and replenish the pipeline with solid players who fit what we're trying to do. A kid like this might not make a huge early impact, but could be a very important player over the course of the rest of his career. Sign me up.

If he reclassifies, I would not be surprised in the least if we become a player here, despite what is said in a post above.

As some have said, I don't think the staff is impressed with what is out there. He's not available yet.

He keeps saying he can reclassify. Maybe the staff won’t risk dealing with the NCAA clearinghouse.
The staff just needs to call whoever helped Marvin Bagley that got done in a week. Maybe we can have SU Dreaming reach out. He is really tight with the staff to the point he knows who they like and don’t like.

Agree 100%. Our best teams were filled with good players who were four year / program guys, interspersed with a few higher rated recruits. We need to get back to that as a team.
next year's team has something of that mix - will have frankie & pascal, each in their 4th year. elijah's 3rd year in college, 2nd in the program. oshae, marek, & bourama in their 2nd. none of them highly rated, only oshae on the nba radar. will be going from one of the youngest teams in the nation this year to one of the more experienced ones next season. then mix in a borderline 5 star freshman and a gym rat coach's son . . . the ingredients are there.

next year's team has something of that mix - will have frankie & pascal, each in their 4th year. elijah's 3rd year in college, 2nd in the program. oshae, marek, & bourama in their 2nd. none of them highly rated, only oshae on the nba radar. will be going from one of the youngest teams in the nation this year to one of the more experienced ones next season. then mix in a borderline 5 star freshman and a gym rat coach's son . . . the ingredients are there.

Agreed. And while a kid like Samuel [just hypothetically, not sure if we will actively pursue this specific recruit] might not make much of an impact as a frosh next season with that returning nucleus, he would provide depth, he'd learn from practicing all year against quality players like Brissett / Dolezaj, and he'd bolster what we'd have coming back the FOLLOWING season, when we'll be facing heavy offseason attrition. Would love to bring a recruit like this in for those reasons.

Why are we not interested? Not trolling just curious because he seems like a talent, handlers? Immediate PT? Bigger schools interested etc?
You'll have to wait for his podcast to come out to the get the scoop.

You'll have to wait for his podcast to come out to the get the scoop.

sick burn...
giphy.gif

Agreed. And while a kid like Samuel [just hypothetically, not sure if we will actively pursue this specific recruit] might not make much of an impact as a frosh next season with that returning nucleus, he would provide depth, he'd learn from practicing all year against quality players like Brissett / Dolezaj, and he'd bolster what we'd have coming back the FOLLOWING season, when we'll be facing heavy offseason attrition. Would love to bring a recruit like this in for those reasons.
I'm right there with you. This would be perfect in my opinion. He could be an extra body up front which we need and learn and be ready to really contribute year 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom