Class of 2017 - SG Brandon Randolph (PA) to Arizona | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Brandon Randolph (PA) to Arizona

Remember when Battle committed to Michigan.. just sayin
Difference was that Papa Battle wasn't in favor of Michigan from the get go. From reading the quotes, Mama Randolph seems to be very happy with the decision for Zona. Plus we're only a month away from the early signing period. Don't see a flip flop in the making.

I'm not going to read this as some insight into Battles intentions were one or two years. I just think Randolph prefers Arizona.

Not nearly as many top-rated LA recruits right now and Oregon is taking away some of the area's better players. Miller has an east coast vibe and AZ rules the Pac 12 most years but that's not saying much. What gets me is Tucson really is in the middle of nowhere, the league isn't on the same level as the ACC and doesn't get near the same amount of pub or exposure even out here on the left coast. Go figure.

Every so often I go over to Stanford or Cal when AZ comes to NoCal - they travel fairly well (nothing like us), showing up in buses from their retirement communities, wearing their red polo shirts, carrying their lawn chairs and chanting U-of-A all freaking game long. Drives you nuts.

Exactly. Tucson isn't what you might think. It is in the middle of nowhere. Remember taking a ride there during some downtime at one of our Fiesta Bowl trips. I recall coming away very disappointed. But to some kid from the northeast, it might seem like a change of pace. Randolph obviously doesn't care about whether any family and friends see him play. But that should have been an indication by his final schools -- Arizona, Oregon, Wake and SU.

Remember when Battle committed to Michigan.. just sayin

Very similar circumstances too. SU feeling pretty good. Kid goes on visit elsewhere and then commits right away. Unlikely flip but not impossible.

J or Francis...do you think the staff just locks into Walker and Tucker only or do you think they will branch and see if any other top 100 sg/sfs would come?
Kimani Lawrence, Darryl Morsell, Nojel Eastern etc

Not nearly as many top-rated LA recruits right now and Oregon is taking away some of the area's better players. Miller has an east coast vibe and AZ rules the Pac 12 most years but that's not saying much. What gets me is Tucson really is in the middle of nowhere, the league isn't on the same level as the ACC and doesn't get near the same amount of pub or exposure even out here on the left coast. Go figure.

Every so often I go over to Stanford or Cal when AZ comes to NoCal - they travel fairly well (nothing like us), showing up in buses from their retirement communities, wearing their red polo shirts, carrying their lawn chairs and chanting U-of-A all freaking game long. Drives you nuts.

Not much in Tuscon or Lawrence, Kansas. Lawrence is closer to Kansas City than Tuscon is to Phoenix but Tuscon still is just a little over 1.5 hours away. They are much like us. National elite program with great history. They are probably more of a national recruiter now with Miller than us. Not as many LA kids like you say but they seem to get them and those Mater Dei players. They grab some of the Oakland/Bay Area guys and of course get east coast kids too. I mean I would certainly consider Arizona if I was an elite recruit. Great weather, program, coach, and some of the best Mexican food anywhere, etc. PAC-12 is everywhere now on TV.

Not much in Tuscon or Lawrence, Kansas. Lawrence is closer to Kansas City than Tuscon is to Phoenix but Tuscon still is just a little over 1.5 hours away. They are much like us. National elite program with great history. They are probably more of a national recruiter now with Miller than us. Not as many LA kids like you say but they seem to get them and those Mater Dei players. They grab some of the Oakland/Bay Area guys and of course get east coast kids too. I mean I would certainly consider Arizona if I was an elite recruit. Great weather, program, coach, and some of the best Mexican food anywhere, etc. PAC-12 is everywhere now on TV.

There's also one other major thing that you don't even have to leave campus for that appeals greatly to 18 year old males...

also, maybe staff is getting strong indication T.Battle will not be one/done unless he has an absolutely huge season, which might not really be possible with Lydon and White on the team
I would love this to be the truth, because I think he is going to be really fun to watch! Unfortunately we know for a fact that the NBA does not care whether you perform or not, or even if you are out shadowed by one or two players on your team. All they care about it measurements and potential. They are going to look at Tyus and see a 6'6'' athlete with a good handle, and an above average jumper and pay him! Hell...Mali had an average season with 8 amazing minutes and went in round one, simply because his future potential to make buckets is huge.

But I'll be right there hoping Tyus is here for longer. Kid can flat out play

Francis03 said:
Difference was that Papa Battle wasn't in favor of Michigan from the get go. From reading the quotes, Mama Randolph seems to be very happy with the decision for Zona. Plus we're only a month away from the early signing period. Don't see a flip flop in the making.

Exactly. Completely different set of circumstances.

Funk Doc said:
I would love this to be the truth, because I think he is going to be really fun to watch! Unfortunately we know for a fact that the NBA does not care whether you perform or not, or even if you are out shadowed by one or two players on your team. All they care about it measurements and potential. They are going to look at Tyus and see a 6'6'' athlete with a good handle, and an above average jumper and pay him! Hell...Mali had an average season with 8 amazing minutes and went in round one, simply because his future potential to make buckets is huge. But I'll be right there hoping Tyus is here for longer. Kid can flat out play

Sorta true...but if Malachi doesn't have that 2nd half, he's in the Melo center today. His measurables wouldn't have changed. You kinda need some type of success unless your measurables are ridiculous.

Of the three of Walker, Diallo, Randolph I thought we had the strongest shot with Randolph. So his choosing 'Zona is really disappointing. Looks like Nova has the strongest position with Walker. I'd be shocked it Diallo doesn't go UK. We may not get the next great SG in the 2017 class then. If Battle leaves after 1 year we'll have to rely on a 5th yr FA to plug the hole.

There's nothing wrong with Tuscon. It's a totally legit choice for a kid. Let's move on to the next guy. And lay off with the doom and gloom stuff. We remain in it to win it with many high caliber prospects.

There aren't many left...

Exactly. Tucson isn't what you might think. It is in the middle of nowhere. Remember taking a ride there during some downtime at one of our Fiesta Bowl trips. I recall coming away very disappointed. But to some kid from the northeast, it might seem like a change of pace. Randolph obviously doesn't care about whether any family and friends see him play. But that should have been an indication by his final schools -- Arizona, Oregon, Wake and SU.
You guys are missing the boat about U of A. It's just like Syracuse as far as being the #1 game in town but it's warm, the co-eds are lovely, it's warm, umm, the co-eds are lovely. My niece went to school there. It would definitely be on my list.

The UoA campus is beautiful. Phoenix resident here but I do make it down to Tucson every once in awhile. A lot going on down there for a 18 year old

Is Tucson the Harvard of Southern Arizona? I think not.

In all seriousness there is no shame in losing out the recruit to AZ. It's a good school in a tropical climate with a good tradition.

You guys are missing the boat about U of A. It's just like Syracuse as far as being the #1 game in town but it's warm, the co-eds are lovely, it's warm, umm, the co-eds are lovely. My niece went to school there. It would definitely be on my list.
But the place is crawling with snakes -- poisonous ones.

But the place is crawling with snakes -- poisonous ones.

So is Kentucky.
IMG_5954.JPG

Really? Come on. You gotta man up.

Ok, who are we landing? Diallo? Lonnie? Seem like long shots based on everything that's out there. At some point you read the tea leaves - 2017 is looking like Quade and team Plan B.