Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

I think we’ll find out years from now that Chance loved Cuse and REALLY wanted to come here. His camp (dad) was driving the bus and looking for things we weren’t willing to give. I think this ship has sailed.

its too bad he can’t make his own decision

I think we’ll find out years from now that Chance loved Cuse and REALLY wanted to come here. His camp (dad) was driving the bus and looking for things we weren’t willing to give. I think this ship has sailed.
Yeah I mean we kind of know that now! ;)

I understand and agree but the term “I think” instead of “I know” the ship has sailed still leaves a smidgen of hope for me. I know that hope is not a strategy but I am holding out on giving up. Believe that Chance Westry is a better fit for Syracuse than a JJ Starling (who I also like) and Quadir Copeland (who I believe will commit soon).

it will be a moot point if either JJ or Quadir commits before Chance.

I understand and agree but the term “I think” instead of “I know” the ship has sailed still leaves a smidgen of hope for me. I know that hope is not a strategy but I am holding out on giving up. Believe that Chance Westry is a better fit for Syracuse than a JJ Starling (who I also like) and Quadir Copeland (who I believe will commit soon).

it will be a moot point if either JJ or Quadir commits before Chance.
I have zero issue if we land JJ and miss on CW. That is a trade I can live with. And CW is my favorite.

The over 2 year old Westry narrative that this kid is all in on Cuse but because of his parents/handlers he's not coming needs to go crawl into a hole and die. It makes people feel better about the decision I guess but there's more to it then that. With NIL opportunities and these kids getting a piece of the pie now, he'd be orange if thats what he really wanted. Everyone runs with stuff said on here because of a visit he had at the dome over 2 years ago. He pretty much has ZERO interaction/communication with current cuse players. No chemistry...but yea hes all orange and if his dad gave him the green light he would be suiting up for cuse.

The over 2 year old Westry narrative that this kid is all in on Cuse but because of his parents/handlers he's not coming needs to go crawl into a hole and die. It makes people feel better about the decision I guess but there's more to it then that. With NIL opportunities and these kids getting a piece of the pie now, he'd be orange if thats what he really wanted. Everyone runs with stuff said on here because of a visit he had at the dome over 2 years ago. He pretty much has ZERO interaction/communication with current cuse players. No chemistry...but yea hes all orange and if his dad gave him the green light he would be suiting up for cuse.

You, with your facts and logic and reason - there's no place for that here!

This is a hoops crootin forum!!

We now return you to #narratives and wild speculation, already in progress...

I mean I’m not arguing for either side of this argument but why would he build chemistry with the other commits and players if his camp won’t allow him to make that choice to go there anyways you know what I mean? At the end of the day It doesn’t matter anyways so you’re right though.

You, with your facts and logic and reason - there's no place for that here!

This is a hoops crootin forum!!

We now return you to #narratives and wild speculation, already in progress...
I'm usually a more wild speculation type of guy but this one just seems so strange to me. Its all fun though! The recruiting Rollercoaster that is Syracuse.

I mean I’m not arguing for either side of this argument but why would he build chemistry with the other commits and players if his camp won’t allow him to make that choice to go there anyways you know what I mean? At the end of the day It doesn’t matter anyways so you’re right though.
Its been this way for a long time. This isn't just because his camp won't allow him to make a choice. But yes, it doesn't really matter in the end. The decision will be what it is...board narratives run wild on here though and become tall tales for years to come!

Its been this way for a long time. This isn't just because his camp won't allow him to make a choice.

I'm not a social media savant, so I'll ask those who are -

Is Chance following or interacting w/ players and/or coaches from any non-Syracuse programs??

If he is, then that's not a good sign for us.
If he's not, then maybe he just doesn't do that?

Trying to find the possible silver lining...

Its been this way for a long time. This isn't just because his camp won't allow him to make a choice. But yes, it doesn't really matter in the end. The decision will be what it is...board narratives run wild on here though and become tall tales for years to come!
I mean parents have influenced Cuse recruits before so not sure why this is so hard to believe. Kenny Anderson, Thomas Bryant and Quade quickly come to mind.

And you know this because? The narrative you are poo pooing is coming from those that are in the know...not just giving opinions. Not saying you are.

And you know this because? The narrative you are poo pooing is coming from those that are in the know...not just giving opinions. Not saying you are.
Not really pooin on it but its a old narrative. There is absolutely nothing recent that pointed to Chance being all in on Syracuse. Its not just the handlers that want to get paid either...Kids also want the $ and that $ is available at Syracuse now just like it is at LSU/Auburn (how much is tbd) but if he wanted cuse he would be cuse. This is different times then comparing it to some of the other guys we missed out on because of handlers and money. Again, look into some of the other things going on as well thats been talked about numerous times on here.

If we're lucky, Melo's talk with him included a offer along with handing him a business card with a Metal Recyclers number on it. :)

Seriously though, if its all about money then wouldn't we be a good choice for a top kid like Westry? Is the money opportunities at schools like LSU/Auburn much greater then at ours? This isn't football we're talking about here...if the answer is no then how do we ever compete with some of these schools going forward into the NIL era? Being a major basketball school should help us here shouldn't it? Or will football money trump everything in the end and influence how top basketball recruits decide? Will notoriously known football schools become powerhouse basketball programs going forward?

If we're lucky, Melo's talk with him included a offer along with handing him a business card with a Metal Recyclers number on it. :)

Seriously though, if its all about money then wouldn't we be a good choice for a top kid like Westry? Is the money opportunities at schools like LSU/Auburn much greater then at ours? This isn't football we're talking about here...if the answer is no then how do we ever compete with some of these schools going forward into the NIL era? Being a major basketball school should help us here shouldn't it? Or will football money trump everything in the end and influence how top basketball recruits decide? Will notoriously known football schools become powerhouse basketball programs going forward?
Schools with a huge booster base are going to kill it.

I guess that is what I don't understand about the NIL stuff. Do these opportunities have to be legitimate advertising opportunities? Or, is it now legal to pay a player $1000 to come to your kid's birthday party and leave after getting the check?

Don't we have some legit boosters that could help us out with this? Or are we chopped liver compared to these other schools? Does Syracuse struggle in the booster dept? (Honestly asking because idk)

Don't we have some legit boosters that could help us out with this? Or are we chopped liver compared to these other schools? Does Syracuse struggle in the booster dept? (Honestly asking because idk)

definitely lacking compared to a good chunk of schools unfortunately

This is my feeling, too. But, not just that. Schools with booster bases with both money and and lower 'sophistication level' are going to kill it. The kinds of fans who will spend their own tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars to get more wins for their teams—it seems like that is a certain kind of individual. And i fear 'some types' of schools have more of 'those types' of individuals. It's not really about the endowment size (that's what she said) of the school—it's about the kinds of people who are more likely, en masse, to want to spend their money on college sports wins. It's a sociological thing as well as an economic demographics thing. That's why i think we lose in this deal.

Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are not going to be the big players, although their donors have the most money in the top 4. Texas (not sure how that 'system' works), though, is in the top 5 of endowments, and those people do seem like 'the type.'

I guess that is what I don't understand about the NIL stuff. Do these opportunities have to be legitimate advertising opportunities? Or, is it now legal to pay a player $1000 to come to your kid's birthday party and leave after getting the check?
I'm completely ignorant of all this stuff, too. Haven't read a word about it.

How is this all being monitored? Because, in the olden days, if i kid was driving a new SUV but came from the projects, you could raise an eyebrow, and maybe that would prompt an investigation. Now, though, a kid could be driving a Lambo to 'class,' and it could legit be from social media, but if a booster were 'supplementing' him under the table with a Samsonite Delegate 3.1 Hardsider full of cash, there wouldn't be any (additional) visual cues to clue in the authorities.

How does all of this not get exploited and perverted?