Class of 2024 - SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered

Disagree. Before the past two years, Larranaga was starting to feel the hot seat heat for the three seasons prior. How quickly people forget. Here’s his overall and conference records from 2017-2021, all ending with no postseason appearance.
2018–19 Jim Larranaga 14–18 5–13 T–11th
2019–20 Jim Larranaga 15–16 7–13 T–10th
2020–21 Jim Larranaga 10–17 4–15 13th
Facts!? BE GONE HEATHEN

:armpit farts:

tenor.gif

Disagree. Before the past two years, Larranaga was starting to feel the hot seat heat for the three seasons prior. How quickly people forget. Here’s his overall and conference records from 2017-2021, all ending with no postseason appearance.
People were ready to hang JB and in his 47 years, he had his only losing season in 2021-2022.(16-17) No comparison with the Miami program.

Right...then NIL happened and they went E8 and F4...This has little to nothing to do with Larranaga. It's the $$$ and the $$S will continue to make them a big time program until the funds stop.

The whole world has a "what have you done for me lately" demeanor. Sad. People talk right now like Miami is a premier basketball program and Syracuse is trash just because of the last two years.
The state of basketball programs need to be judged on pre-NIL and post-NIL.

Post NIL, we have not been good, they have

Luckily, our work in the transfer portal and recruiting is on the upswing.

No! That's literally it. Lol
Well, Miami has sent other guys to the pros over the years, but I hear what you're saying. I don't think SU lost out here based on the number of guys Miami has sent to the pros versus SU, etc. The AAU connections were big. Miami has done well over the past two years with the EE/FF. Wishing Jalil well. I did see that Mikey Lewis is open to setting up more visits, wonder if SU will pursue him.

The whole world has a "what have you done for me lately" demeanor. Sad. People talk right now like Miami is a premier basketball program and Syracuse is trash just because of the last two years.
So true. It drives me crazy. Maybe they’re starting to get a roll, but we don’t know. Two good years in a row does not make them any kind of power. Their history and track record of consistent success pales in comparison to Syracuse. Oh, and their coach is now JB’s age when the incessant retirement talk started. He’s gonna face the same questions JB did.

Right...then NIL happened and they went E8 and F4...This has little to nothing to do with Larranaga. It's the $$$ and the $$S will continue to make them a big time program until the funds stop.
Nah. Don’t agree with that at all. Miami got lucky with that booster Ruiz for a couple of years but he’s now in dire financial straits.

I think everyone was reading the tea leaves wrong with his recruitment. We all saw how much time the staff was watching him and presumed things. I stated early in the process that I worried about Miami and their connections. I think we overestimated our chances with him.

We didn’t even make Jalil’s final three, which were Kansas, Miami and Villanova. Yikes.

I don't follow recruiting nearly as much as I once did. What's our plan b?

I think everyone was reading the tea leaves wrong with his recruitment. We all saw how much time the staff was watching him and presumed things. I stated early in the process that I worried about Miami and their connections. I think we overestimated our chances with him.
True. But Bulldog said we were no worse than tied for first (with another school or two) in Jalil’s recruitment. And he seemed skeptical of Miami’s chances. So I do wonder about NIL dollars being the difference maker here.

Also, the Miami assistant coach never actually coached Jalil at Team Final. He was a coach there long before Jalil played on that AAU team. But that got them in the door, and it’s true that the AAU team connections/pressures are always strong. That’s why we hired Brendan Straughn.

True. But Bulldog said we were no worse than tied for first (with another school or two) in Jalil’s recruitment. And he seemed skeptical of Miami’s chances. So I do wonder about NIL dollars being the difference maker here.

Also, the Miami assistant coach never actually coached Jalil at Team Final. He was a coach there long before Jalil played on that AAU team. But that got them in the door, and it’s true that the AAU team connections/pressures are always strong. That’s why we hired Brendan Straughn.
Red has no track record. That’s the biggest thing going against us right now.

Not at all recent, but John Salmons was a Philly guy who went to Miami and then the NBA.

Though I sit more in the “pros are recruited, not developed” camp in most situations.
Lonnie Walker's a more recent example.

We didn’t even make Jalil’s final three, which were Kansas, Miami and Villanova. Yikes.
Those schools knew he wasn't going there. He just put those other schools there so that he can have a press conference.

So true. It drives me crazy. Maybe they’re starting to get a roll, but we don’t know. Two good years in a row does not make them any kind of power. Their history and track record of consistent success pales in comparison to Syracuse. Oh, and their coach is now JB’s age when the incessant retirement talk started. He’s gonna face the same questions JB did.

The consistent success track record of ours you speak of was created by a guy no longer coaching.

It also largely ended before Bethea left elementary school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom