Class of 2019 - SG Khalif Battle (NJ) | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SG Khalif Battle (NJ)

Syracuse was Washington’s dream school. I’m sute he knew he’d have an uphill battle for PT. maybe he’s at the point now where he WANTS to play more so than anything else; can’t blame him

Praytell, based upon production, who should have played instead of Buddy? If a good enough player is here, he will earn minutes.

Straw man.

Given that your question had zero to do with my post, let me spell it out for you: Battle ISN'T here. As a transfer, Battle gets to self-select where he wants to go, and he might not desire going somewhere where he wouldn't have a path to a starting role.

There have been plenty of seasons we didn’t have a 4th guard. The MCW year is more the exception than the rule.

There have been plenty of seasons we didn’t have a 4th guard. The MCW year is more the exception than the rule.
That cost the 2014 team a chance at the NC.

Not having another guard to play with Ennis, Fair, Grant, Christmas causes our slump.

Cooney wasn’t hurting the offense after the Notre Dame game in early February.
JB didn’t trust Gbinije yet.
We didn’t have another options.
We needed a shooter who was consistent.

Not having a 4th guard caused that team to sink from 1 seed to 3 seed and we lost to Dayton where we only scored 1 basket the entire game outside of the paint.

It’s crazy how we can’t have 4 division 1 guards every season.

It isn’t hard. If we have MCW and Triche you can survive with it.

That cost the 2014 team a chance at the NC.

Not having another guard to play with Ennis, Fair, Grant, Christmas causes our slump.

Cooney wasn’t hurting the offense after the Notre Dame game in early February.
JB didn’t trust Gbinije yet.
We didn’t have another options.
We needed a shooter who was consistent.

Not having a 4th guard caused that team to sink from 1 seed to 3 seed and we lost to Dayton where we only scored 1 basket the entire game outside of the paint.

And MCW/Triche played 34mpg. They got rest. For whatever reason he’s stopped doing that and it started the next season.

From 2008-2013 JB played 3 guards. MCW really only got garbage minutes in 2012. Cooney played 11mpg in in 2013 as the third guard.

I think that's the key. It isn't really a question of the number of guys. It's the number of high quality guys. The more average your players are, the more of them you should probably have to try to find the guys with the hot hand on any given night. If you have two 4.5 star types, you can roll the dice with little depth.

And MCW/Triche played 34mpg. They got rest.
For whatever reason he’s stopped doing that and it started the next season.

From 2008-2013 JB played 3 guards. MCW really only got garbage minutes in 2012. Cooney played 11mpg in in 2013 as the third guard.

So - 34 mpg ='s "they got rest"
But 35 or 36 mpg ='s "nobody else got a chance to play"? :rolleyes:

1584896694408.png

In 40 games that season they both played 40 in just 3 games and one was an OT game against Villanova.

In 32 games this year Buddy played 40 minutes 11 times. Huge difference.
It is not hard to see why we struggle at the end of halves. Our players are tired. We struggled to close games out.

It is why need 4 quality guards every single year.
13 scholarship players.
4 quality guards
4 quality forwards
2 quality centers

3 projects.

It is not hard. If Battle can accept a role he is a perfect guy to explore. He can sit out next year and still have 3 years and only one with an incumbent who will play the entire game.

It is not hard to see why we struggle at the end of halves. Our players are tired. We struggled to close games out.

13 scholarship players.
4 quality guards
4 quality forwards
2 quality centers

3 projects.

It is not hard. If Battle can accept a role he is a perfect guy to explore. He can sit out next year and still have 3 years and only one with an incumbent who will play the entire game.

Thing is if we are good with Westry it doesn’t make much sense with Richmond in the fold. Go after a small forward. I’m sure Khalif wants big minutes and that happens in a lesser conference.

We may never know. You asked the question. Did you not think people would offer speculation in response?
Yeah it’s possible. I hope HoWa has his degree when he transfers as the SU degree would be reason enough to be the 4th guard one more year graduate and then his last year go and try to play.

If he isn’t a graduate then this a bad image.

13 scholarship players.
4 quality guards
4 quality forwards
2 quality centers

3 projects.

We were so tired in that overtime win against Virginia that it was hard to watch.

Yeah it’s possible. I hope HoWa has his degree when he transfers as the SU degree would be reason enough to be the 4th guard one more year graduate and then his last year go and try to play.

If he isn’t a graduate then this a bad image.
Bad image for whom?

We were so tired in that overtime win against Virginia that it was hard to watch.
You know that Virginia plays the slowest tempo in the country right?
You look this stuff up before you try to make it seem like that one game we won makes your point right?
Virginia plays the lowest possession basketball in the P5.

Why?

For the program to be losing a depth guy if he isn’t playing a lot of minutes at his next school.

I thought you meant for him, for having his head in the clouds.

You know that Virginia plays the slowest tempo in the country right?
You look this stuff up before you try to make it seem like that one game we won makes your point right?
Virginia plays the lowest possession basketball in the P5.

Why?
I had my son ask one of his best friends who plays d1 and actually plays more minutes than any Syracuse player how hard is it to play 40 minutes. His answer was not hard at all.

I had my son ask one of his best friends who plays d1 and actually plays more minutes than any Syracuse player how hard is it to play 40 minutes. His answer was not hard at all.
I’ve always felt this way about it. With the number of timeouts in each game and the tempo we play at asking guys to play 35+ minutes shouldn’t be a big deal in terms of stamina.

That isn’t to say I think our playing time allocation has been right or wrong just that if guys are in shape they should be able to go for 40 minutes if asked to do so.

Right.

The notion that 18-22 year old division 1 athletes, who are typically in elite physical and cardiovascular condition, are completely spent after playing for 40 minutes is way overblown, IMO. To be clear, I do not support kids playing the entire 40 minutes for lots of different reasons, but physical exhaustion, dead legs, whatever, is not among them.

I can guarantee you that 90-120 minute practices at most programs (hell, most HSs) is way more physically taxing than what they experience in games (at least it should be).