Class of 2018 - SG/SF Jeenathan Williams (NY) to Buffalo | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG/SF Jeenathan Williams (NY) to Buffalo

Against Bagley and Co...
Marvin went for 20 and 15 with 4 blocks.

In this article JW states,"'I'm just ready to make a decision sooner or later and get it all out of the way and get ready to go to college."

Here's a guard that from the sounds of it wants to commit more quickly than others. Let's pull out all the stops. An early signing will help get the ball rolling. Plus he's a teammate of Buddy Boeheim.

Go get'em!

In this article JW states,"'I'm just ready to make a decision sooner or later and get it all out of the way and get ready to go to college."

Here's a guard that from the sounds of it wants to commit more quickly than others. Let's pull out all the stops. An early signing will help get the ball rolling. Plus he's a teammate of Buddy Boeheim.

Go get'em!

This may sound wrong but is he the guy we actually want out of the 18 class? Where does he really fit in for us? Not that I would turn away any talent because we certainly need it and this sounds petty but I would sure like to get a early commitment from a couple other guys *cough cough jalen/dd and or swider/bazley. Is Williams a 2/3 ? If so it's hard to see where he fits with having hughes waiting in the stable and the logjam of fowards we have. Also is he a decent shooter? I haven't looked into him much honestly.

This may sound wrong but is he the guy we actually want out of the 18 class? Where does he really fit in for us? Not that I would turn away any talent because we certainly need it and this sounds petty but I would sure like to get a early commitment from a couple other guys *cough cough jalen/dd and or swider/bazley. Is Williams a 2/3 ? If so it's hard to see where he fits with having hughes waiting in the stable and the logjam of fowards we have. Also is he a decent shooter? I haven't looked into him much honestly.

Williams has said before that Syracuse is his dream school and the fact that he is willing to commit early probably indicates he's looking to commit here. I, for one, would love to lock him down early in the process. At least from what I can tell, I believe he's a Syracuse-caliber recruit. Not only that, but landing him could at least give us a glimmer of hope for Stewart in 2019.

And barring transfers or unexpected early departures, the way I look at 2018-19 right now is that we have 3 guards (FH, HW, EH), 3 forwards (MM, MD, OB), and 3 centers (TT, BS, PC). This is assuming Tyus Battle declares and TT becomes strictly a center which I think has a good chance of happening. I don't see an issue in terms of having too much depth already at one position since we have 3G/3F/3C.

Sign me up for Buddy Boeheim (as a walk-on), Jeenathan Williams, Darius Bazley, and one of Carey/Duke for 2018. If the staff anticipates an extra scholarship spot opening up, maybe pursue Antwann Jones for the 4th scholarship.

Williams has said before that Syracuse is his dream school and the fact that he is willing to commit early probably indicates he's looking to commit here. I, for one, would love to lock him down early in the process. At least from what I can tell, I believe he's a Syracuse-caliber recruit. Not only that, but landing him could at least give us a glimmer of hope for Stewart in 2019.

And barring transfers or unexpected early departures, the way I look at 2018-19 right now is that we have 3 guards (FH, HW, EH), 3 forwards (MM, MD, OB), and 3 centers (TT, BS, PC). This is assuming Tyus Battle declares and TT becomes strictly a center which I think has a good chance of happening. I don't see an issue in terms of having too much depth already at one position since we have 3G/3F/3C.

Sign me up for Buddy Boeheim (as a walk-on), Jeenathan Williams, Darius Bazley, and one of Carey/Duke for 2018. If the staff anticipates an extra scholarship spot opening up, maybe pursue Antwann Jones for the 4th scholarship.

Good points...hopefully this class packs a punch. We need to reel in some good ones to piggy back off the foundation we laid this year. Question though, if he has a offer (which he does) and you say he wants to commit early and that we are a dream school then why doesn't he commit? Is he waiting for us to show him a little more love? Or waiting until after our elite camp maybe?

To classify Buddy as a walk-on in a complete mistake in terminology. Should Buddy chose to come here, he would be a recruited (and much so I suspect by then) student-athlete who as a recipient of a dependent tuition scholarship would be exempt from counting against the scholarship limit. But he will never be considered a walk-on.

I see where you're coming from about wanting to hold out for other recruits. Does it concern you that we lost guys last year employing that strategy? It's a hard call.

I can also see the duplicity with Hughes. I guess this depends on how much value we see in Hughes. I'm high on several of our recruits but Hughes not so much. But we'll leave that debate for the Hughes thread.

Anyhow, good post.

If he wants come, then that's great. I'd sign up for that. Carey/Duke or insert guard here, then Bazley/Shittu. Buddy, and we probably open up another 'ship so we could add any of the great players that may wanna come. Swider, King, etc.

So much talent we are involved with. If any want to commit then sounds good to me. Would be nice to get 2018 rolling. JW isn't some bum, either. Even if he, and EH end up at the 2, awesome. We need depth there when Tyus leaves. They both could play up top. If either plays the 3 then it would be a Mali type situation. 3 on D, but not so much on offense. I think he would be a great fit. Especially with the forwards we have already.

Williams from what I have seen is best as a slashing attacker of the basket. His shot has come along but I don't see him as major shooting threat yet. Still he would give us another option at the wing while providing an aggressive offensive style. I think he's the type of player who can provide an offensive spark off the bench from day one because of how he attacks.

2018 we will have Washington, Hughes & Boeheim. Howard may be back and if we add Williams and bring in a starting caliber PG that pretty much covers us for the 1, 2, 3 positions. I think its a safe bet that at least two of Dolezaj, Brissett and Moyer are back as well so you will have a returning player who has logged minutes at the 3. That would mean we round out the class with one stud forward and a program big. If there are more ships available the class is very deep at forward.

Last edited:
Williams from what I have seen is best as a slashing attacker of the basket. His shot has come along but I don't see him as major shooting threat yet. Still he would give us another option at the wing while providing an aggressive offensive style. I think he's the type of player who can provide an offensive spark off the bench from day one because of how he attacks.

2018 we will have Washington, Hughes & Boeheim. Howard may be back and if we add Williams and bring in a starting caliber PG that pretty much covers us for the 1, 2, 3 positions. I think its a safe bet that at least two of Dolezaj, Brissett and Moyer are back as well so you will have a returning player who has logged minutes at the 3. That would mean we round out the class with one stud forward and a program big. If there are more ships available the class is very deep at forward.

He reminds me a little bit of CJ Fair, at least in that he needs to work on his jump shot. Can you imagine his game with that added? The thing is he's played on teams with plenty of shooters, so he hasn't really had the motivation to try to make that his focal area in practice, and is young enough where there's a good chance that could be greatly improved. The kid can pass too. At times the Orange have been lacking passing skills, other than probing around the perimeter until the shot clock, and it would be nice to have someone who can penetrate and finish or have the vision to hit an open teammate.

Not sure where JW will rank amongst other recruits for our needs, but he's offered and supposedly likes us.

Jeenathan will not only need to stay consistent for thexample City Rocks but also step up his game without Nahziah Carter gone...