Shafer Appoints McDonald to Lead Offense | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Appoints McDonald to Lead Offense

TheSpaz

2nd String
George McDonald boasts an impressive coaching resume that includes multiple student-athletes who have gone to the National Football League and a reputation as one of the most prolific recruiters in the country. Orange head coach Scott Shafer has hired McDonald as Syracuse's offensive coordinator, which reunites the pair who coached together at Northern Illinois and Western Michigan. McDonald joins the Orange from the University of Arkansas, where he was the receivers coach since December 2012 after serving as the wide receivers coach at the University of Miami in 2011 and 2012.

http://suathletics.com/news/2013/1/17/comp_0117135033.aspx

I just want him to negatively recruit against the U for us and get a flip or 2. :)

Also, just caught this:

"George McDonald is a perfect fit to take over the play-calling duties for the Syracuse offense," Shafer said. "George and (former Syracuse offensive coordinator) Nathaniel Hackett are great friends who have worked together in the past. George has a clear understanding of the West Coast concepts combined with the Spread college attack. In addition to his vast football knowledge, George is one of best recruiters in all of college football."

I like that McDonald was a track guy as well, he knows speed and its importance which can't hurt for reeling in Laray

George McDonald boasts an impressive coaching resume that includes multiple student-athletes who have gone to the National Football League and a reputation as one of the most prolific recruiters in the country. Orange head coach Scott Shafer has hired McDonald as Syracuse's offensive coordinator, which reunites the pair who coached together at Northern Illinois and Western Michigan. McDonald joins the Orange from the University of Arkansas, where he was the receivers coach since December 2012 after serving as the wide receivers coach at the University of Miami in 2011 and 2012.

http://suathletics.com/news/2013/1/17/comp_0117135033.aspx
I love and so excited bout his recruiting ability!!! I cant remember when we have had some recruiters like this

Two threads looks like I responded in the unofficial one...

So I will post it here. The thing that really jumped out at me on his recruiting ability is that he had a top 10 class in Miami, fine most people can recruit for the U, but he also had a top 10 class for the Gophers. What who can recruit for Minnesota??

Excellent on the recruiting part. Can he coordinate an offense?

For years, we made fun of Schady for bamboozling recruits with his spiel, and then not being able to use the talent once he got it. Hope he can both sell and coach.

Excellent on the recruiting part. Can he coordinate an offense?

For years, we made fun of Schady for bamboozling recruits with his spiel, and then not being able to use the talent once he got it. Hope he can both sell and coach.

We'll see...

That Rutgers team of three years ago that had that wildcat package where they snapped the ball to the WR and then gang blocked up the middle in a cluster may have been one of the dumbest formations I've ever seen.

considering he was going to RS anyway despite what people think he could still come after the semester/transfer.. i still think it was more staying close to home than it was the coaching changes..

He sounds like an excellent recruiter and probably a very good communicator as well.

Now for the part that we see...the 60 minute game. I have to say I'm very glad Moore is still here because I think this will ease the transition plus it also looks like the offense will have some very good offensive minds as well. Hopefully these guys will have the offense ready to break down any defense it faces by run or pass and will be able to recognize weaknesses of the defense along with execution of what they want done. Playing fast and saying you're going to play fast is fine but we need to convert those 3rd downs and hopefully break some long runs/passes for scores and I'm hoping these new coaches can accomplish this.