Shafer has his built in excuse | Syracusefan.com

Shafer has his built in excuse

GoSU96

Living Legend
Fell terrible for TH, but being "forced" to play a true freshmen QB because you lost your 5th year senior in the first quarter gives Shafer a lot of room to maneuver.

Win/loss expectations get thrown out the window.

He is to play anyone he wants. He can rotate in his three deep if he wants to because it just doesn't matter.

Fell terrible for TH, but being "forced" to play a true freshmen QB because you lost your 5th year senior in the first quarter gives Shafer a lot of room to maneuver.

He is . . . . . . . . to play anyone he wants. He can rotate in his three deep if he wants to because it just doesn't matter.

Bad luck is having your ex win the lottery the day after the divorce is final.

Really bad luck is getting hit by lightning.

Really, really bad luck is getting hit by lightning when there is not a cloud in the sky.

Then, there is Syracuse football luck.

Sheesh.

Or it could just be that the young players he recruited in the past 2 years are just ridiculously better than most of the ones recruited by the former coach. I think it's fair to say Doug was a terrible recruiter and left the cupboard pretty bare. The players that Shafer has recruited in his 2 recruiting classes are so much better than what Marrone recruited that he has to play them. There is no excuse to not play them.

GoSU96 said:
Fell terrible for TH, but being "forced" to play a true freshmen QB because you lost your 5th year senior in the first quarter gives Shafer a lot of room to maneuver. Win/loss expectations get thrown out the window. He is . . . . . . . . to play anyone he wants. He can rotate in his three deep if he wants to because it just doesn't matter.

I actually don't think this changes anything. I still think 4-6 W's and an improved O gets it done. It might make a better case - if Dungey catches on quickly enough.

I'll be honest I have never really believed in Shafer as a head coach but the talent on display last night from those freshmen running backs, the younger defenders, and Dungey has made me consider the possibility of Shafer being the right guy. Obviously there is a lot more to accomplish this season but boy for the first time in a long time it feels like we've got something more to work with than just a few guys. I don't think it's all going to come together this season but if we can improve on last night's foundation each week then I'm willing to be all in on Shafer.

If Dungey is our guy the rest of the season I'd like to see his footwork and his mechanics improve each week. You can see the raw ability, he just needs some polish. Fredericks is a gift from God, he's going to be playing on Sunday's IMO.

At any rate, it was just little Rhodey but I'm excited to see what happens next week and I honestly wasn't anticipating that feeling.

1-0. LGO! Keep moving that hay to the barn boys (or from the barn, or in the barn, or whatever Jerome's famous line was.)

Or it could just be that the young players he recruited in the past 2 years are just ridiculously better than most of the ones recruited by the former coach. I think it's fair to say Doug was a terrible recruiter and left the cupboard pretty bare. The players that Shafer has recruited in his 2 recruiting classes are so much better than what Marrone recruited that he has to play them. There is no excuse to not play them.

This is just a ridiculous statement. How many "Marrone" recruits started on the OL last night, but keep thinking that. And by the way the oldest LB on the team, Vigille, was a Shafer recruit.

This is just a ridiculous statement. How many "Marrone" recruits started on the OL last night, but keep thinking that. And by the way the oldest LB on the team, Vigille, was a Shafer recruit.
I don't think Marrone recruited s single offensive playmaker. Can you name one? He certainly did not recruit or draft a QB that was even decent. I feel bad for Hunt but in no way was a good QB.

I'll be honest I have never really believed in Shafer as a head coach but the talent on display last night from those freshmen running backs, the younger defenders, and Dungey has made me consider the possibility of Shafer being the right guy. Obviously there is a lot more to accomplish this season but boy for the first time in a long time it feels like we've got something more to work with than just a few guys. I don't think it's all going to come together this season but if we can improve on last night's foundation each week then I'm willing to be all in on Shafer.

If Dungey is our guy the rest of the season I'd like to see his footwork and his mechanics improve each week. You can see the raw ability, he just needs some polish. Fredericks is a gift from God, he's going to be playing on Sunday's IMO.

At any rate, it was just little Rhodey but I'm excited to see what happens next week and I honestly wasn't anticipating that feeling.

1-0. LGO! Keep moving that hay to the barn boys (or from the barn, or in the barn, or whatever Jerome's famous line was.)

"Fredericks is a gift from God".

Loved that quote. I hear you that it was just uri but he does show some nice vision and explosion. If he shows the rest of the season what he showed last night this should be a t shirt. Stamp 44 on the back. It's just double 22

Last edited:
I don't think Marrone recruited s single offensive playmaker. Can you name one? He certainly did not recruit or draft a QB that was even decent. I feel bad for Hunt but in no way was a good QB.

If we all agree McDonald was awful, then why is it Marrone's fault that Hunt/Drew Allen weren't any good. It was clear that Marrone/Hackett were putting their offense in Zach Allen's hands, so not sure what we can take away from that.

Are the younger running backs better than McFarlane/Morris? Yes, they probably are, but the cupboard wasn't bare on the roster.

it was frickin rhode island - guys who looked like all americans wont look that way when we play p-5 schools

it was a win but not a dang thing more - we didnt see the start of something special- we just saw a win

and yes now hcss has his built in excuse with T H done and a true freshman qb-

folks its going to be a real long season with few happy moments im afraid

I don't think this changes anything. Hunt is really not that good. I feel bad for him but this is a blessing for the program

it was frickin rhode island - guys who looked like all americans wont look that way when we play p-5 schools

it was a win but not a dang thing more - we didnt see the start of something special- we just saw a win

After seeing THunt go down things could have got a bit ugly to watch, so I think a lot of people are pumped up that there was little to no drop off at QB. I know it was only RI, but the young guys played really well and there is nowhere to go but up for them as they continue to get reps and the game continues to slow down for them. Are there going to be some growing pains? More than likely yes, but for the time being we are 1-0 and got their via a very dominating performance so lets all just enjoy it and see where the season takes us. I still think a bowl is obtainable for this team if Dungey proves he can at least be a game manager as a Frosh.

Did you enjoy any moment of last night?

He is . . . . . . . . to play anyone he wants. He can rotate in his three deep if he wants to because it just doesn't matter.
My expectations are increased. I know it was Rhode Island. I also know that even T Hunt looked like a real QB a couple times against bad teams. But I saw some things from Dungey that gave me optimism. Optimism I did not have previously. And I know previously you were downplaying all the freshmen contributions. Bunk! They looked better than McFarlane, Morris, Broyld, etc have ever looked (granted Morris also looked good last night).

Did you enjoy any moment of last night?
did i say i didnt enjoy the game- show me were i did ??????????

i did say ri is beyond a bad team and im reserving judgement (unlike the do no wrong crew) till we play a legit football team not one made of jr high rejects

Rhode Island is terrible, one of the worst in FCS. Let's come back and chat after we see what they do vs Wake Forest.

To be fair to Marrone, the ACC and IPF are much easier to sell than the old BE and dilapidated facilities.

But I understand your point.

If we all agree McDonald was awful, then why is it Marrone's fault that Hunt/Drew Allen weren't any good. It was clear that Marrone/Hackett were putting their offense in Zach Allen's hands, so not sure what we can take away from that.

Are the younger running backs better than McFarlane/Morris? Yes, they probably are, but the cupboard wasn't bare on the roster.
The offensive roster was pretty bare.

did i say i didnt enjoy the game- show me were i did ??????????

i did say ri is beyond a bad team and im reserving judgement (unlike the do no wrong crew) till we play a legit football team not one made of jr high rejects
Ok you've made your point abundantly clear, everyone knows it was only RI and that they are no where near our level of play, but we are on a fan board, people tend to have quick and sometimes extreme reactions. If all you are gonna do is post about how its only RI I suggest you give the board a break for a day or two because there is gonna be a lot of post about how well we did.

Ok you've made your point abundantly clear, everyone knows it was only RI and that they are no where near our level of play, but we are on a fan board, people tend to have quick and sometimes extreme reactions. If all you are gonna do is post about how its only RI I suggest you give the board a break for a day or two because there is gonna be a lot of post about how well we did.

but we didnt do well - 3 tds against that defense says as much

but we didnt do well - 3 tds against that defense says as much
Look I'm sorry someone in your Cheerios this morning, I really am, but if destroying a team 47-0 isn't good enough for you then honestly I don't know what is. The team lost its senior leader at QB in the opening part of the game and still managed to score 47 even if they weren't all offensive points. That to me shows that this team is resilient and with any luck they will continue to grow and improve.

We ran the ball pretty much the entire second half. We were 2 for 3 in the RZ. The score could have been much higher with more TDs.
score would be higher with more tds-

man if that isnt the most ignorant post so far this year What is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom