Shafer On Hunt Today | Syracusefan.com

Shafer On Hunt Today

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Mentioned twice in today's presser that Hunt was impressive.

Seemed to single him out.

My money is on Hunt. He was impressive in the Spring and seems to be very confident. I wonder if ties goes to the guy with more eligibility? you would have to assume so right?

My money is on Hunt. He was impressive in the Spring and seems to be very confident. I wonder if ties goes to the guy with more eligibility? you would have to assume so right?

I would think so. Plus you would be building experience going into next year.

Plus hunt is a little more mobile - he's not Vick, but you could throw in a read option once a quarter. My big concern is experience. If they're close, I'd be real nervous about t hunt starting giant stadium against penn state. Hard to know how well do under the bright lights. McNabb had a great start, but at least Allen has taken a snap in a game

Plus hunt is a little more mobile - he's not Vick, but you could throw in a read option once a quarter. My big concern is experience. If they're close, I'd be real nervous about t hunt starting giant stadium against penn state. Hard to know how well do under the bright lights. McNabb had a great start, but at least Allen has taken a snap in a game

Don't under estimate Allen's mobility. Speaking in general here, but he is just as good on his feet, and Hunt is more of a pocket passer then some think.

I've never seen Allen play, but Hunt never really struck me as terribly mobile. I'm not sure it's really a strength for either of those guys.

I've never seen Allen play, but Hunt never really struck me as terribly mobile. I'm not sure it's really a strength for either of those guys.
Hunt runs a 4.9 forty but has pocket presence and enough mobility to extend plays. I'm sure Allen is 2 or 3 tenths faster than Hunt but can't speak to his elusiveness.

Don't under estimate Allen's mobility. Speaking in general here, but he is just as good on his feet, and Hunt is more of a pocket passer then some think.
Hunt is s better pocket passer than people think, but dont mistake his mobility. That is one of his strength, He might have lost some straight ahead speed since his gaining of 10 pounds but its hard to believe that Allen is just as elusive as Hunt. This is based off three years of h.s. film that ive seen from hunt and film on Allen. Allen is 6'5 230 and moves well, but does he has the escapability and the skill of throwing on the run to make a play when things break down?

I agree. I'd compare Hunt more to Graves than McNabb.

Hunt is s better pocket passer than people think, but dont mistake his mobility. That is one of his strength, He might have lost some straight ahead speed since his gaining of 10 pounds but its hard to believe that Allen is just as elusive as Hunt. This is based off three years of h.s. film that ive seen from hunt and film on Allen. Allen is 6'5 230 and moves well, but does he has the escapability and the skill of throwing on the run to make a play when things break down?

true. neither of them strike me as rushing threats though. i don't think either will be beating people on the ground.

agree, I dont think he is a pure run threat out of the zone read but I think hunt is mobile enough to hurt you scrabbling on a busted plays. Kind of like tahj boyd. there's not alot of design runs for him but he can hurt you with his mobility by extending plays and throwing down the field. That's what Hunt has. Hunt's high school film shows alot of getting out of the pocket and extend plays, breaking alot of tackles. He is hard to bring down. His line was terrible, rarely did you see him throwing inside the pocket.

Hunt in high school: He has a somewhat lumbering but effective running style. He has good moves and instincts and enough speed to break it (against high school completion). He seems to have a strong arm. Accuracy? It's a highlight film. They are all completions. I think if he was our quarterback we'd probably be in good shape. And in a year, he will be.

Allen in high school: Much more passing than running. But he can run the ball. He seems quicker than Hunt. He certainly can fire in those short passes on a rope. Again, the completion % is 100.

Allen in college: He's still quick with his feet but the defense closes faster. He seems to be able to make all the throws. He's not coming here to hold a clip-board. But it's not automatic that he starts. He has to learn the offense. He has to out-perform Hunt in practice. There may be a reason he was a backup quarterback until now- and that he transferred rather than compete for the job at Oklahoma. (The reasons may be Sam Bradford, Landry Jones and Blake Bell- but is there something else?)

agree, I dont think he is a pure run threat out of the zone read but I think hunt is mobile enough to hurt you scrabbling on a busted plays. Kind of like tahj boyd. there's not alot of design runs for him but he can hurt you with his mobility be extending plays and throwing down the field. That's what Hunt has. Hunt's high school film shows alot of getting out of the pocket and extend plays, breaking alot of tackles. He is hard to bring down. His line was terrible, rarely did you see him throwing inside the pocket.

Both Allen and Hunt can and will be more effective than Nassib was running the ball. Therefore, it's a plus for the offense no matter which way you slice it.

Thanks for posting that - Allen makes some big time throws. That one at 130 is nfl quality. It comforts me that he's lined up against a d1 defense. He also worked with george Whitfield, who's coached Manziel, cam newton, Andrew luck, roethelisberger even McNabb. Whitfield had high praise for Allen. Those are the main reasons I'm in the Allen camp now. Plus I love his sense of humor.

I hope hunt is a phenom and can stand up under pressure, but until I see more I'm behind Allen

Reactions: 007
I think they need to use both. If Allen wins the starting position the staff has to find ways to get Hunt snaps in some of these games. They don't need to go into another season with a QB who has never had game experience

No you play the players that give you the best chance to win
yeah no kidding. im not about to throw this year away so hunt can get his feet wet.

as discussed before, hunt can play a series or 2 a game. hope he does.

but in another article SS says that Allen is exactly what he thought was getting.

which is his starting quarterback.

this camp position battle is over.

Oh Lord

No you play the players that give you the best chance to win

did you read his post? he said all things equal, you play the younger kid. Why wouldn't you?

If it's close, I'd rather go with the guy who has 3 more years of eligibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom