Shafer On Hunt Today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer On Hunt Today

I am really hoping that Hunt gets the nod. Having Allen as a backup is a luxury to have, but giving Hunt with 2 more years after this year only helps to build on his maturity.

And Hunt may not be straight line fast, but watch him in the pocket... he is very elusive and has quick feet. Just watch him in camp.

Shafer doesn't strike me as a waffler. I think he and McDonald make their choice and stick with it. I don't think there will be a lot of shared duties.

I trust their evaluations - I like both kids. Hunt for his story and resolve, Allen because he's easy to root for. Would be great to see him put up some pretty huge numbers and get drafted fairly high. Great for recruiting.

I can't be the only one who thinks this will wind up exactly like Paulus/Nassib, can I? Allen will win out, just like Paulus did, but Hunt, like Nassib, will get into the game here and there.

I'd be a little surprised if it plays out any other way.

I can't be the only one who thinks this will wind up exactly like Paulus/Nassib, can I? Allen will win out, just like Paulus did, but Hunt, like Nassib, will get into the game here and there.

It very wll could but neither Hunt nor Allen have the deficiencies in their games that young Nassib or 150 lb Paulus did. I'm thinking whoever wins the job will be too good to consider taking out for a series or 2 mid game. If Allen is the qb I hope we win convincingly enough that Hunt can get some 4th quarter series to get his feet wet.

I am really hoping that Hunt gets the nod. Having Allen as a backup is a luxury to have, but giving Hunt with 2 more years after this year only helps to build on his maturity.

And Hunt may not be straight line fast, but watch him in the pocket... he is very elusive and has quick feet. Just watch him in camp.

I feel pretty much the same way.

But if Drew Allen is the real deal, play him!

This race is alot closer than that one... Don't be surprised if Hunt wins.

I would LOVE for Hunt to beat out Allen straight up, but if Allen gets us an extra win or two, you have to play him. If Allen wins, hopefully we can actually blow out the scrubs on the schedule (Tulane, Wagner, UConn BC) and get Hunt a lot of P/T.

The bottom line is that you play the guy who is going to get you the most wins. If it's reeeeeally close but Allen can still deliver even one more win, you play him over Hunt despite what extra experience will do for Hunt down the road. You play to win THIS year, because there are no guarantees for next year.

Who is better - Hunt today or Nassib as a redshirt sophomore?

Plus hunt is a little more mobile - he's not Vick, but you could throw in a read option once a quarter. My big concern is experience. If they're close, I'd be real nervous about t hunt starting giant stadium against penn state. Hard to know how well do under the bright lights. McNabb had a great start, but at least Allen has taken a snap in a game
Allen is actually faster than Hunt. Hunt, reportedly, has a little more lateral mobility. It's not obvious which would be more effective in a game.

Allen is actually faster than Hunt. Hunt, reportedly, has a little more lateral mobility. It's not obvious which would be more effective in a game.

Either would cause defenses more trouble vs Nassib when he would run though.

I think Hunt - by a mile.

I have a hard time buying that.

Putting the pieces together...

Supposedly Loeb never challenged Nassib, but that story changed once Nassib was finished. I don't buy any of the discussion after the fact about how close Loeb was.

Supposedly Hunt was clearly behind Loeb.

Here's what we know is true:

Loeb is now behind Hunt.

For it to be true that Loeb is behind Hunt, and Hunt is better than Nassib as a sophomore, it would mean that...

Either Loeb got worse, or Hunt, in one spring, where he started from behind, isn't just better now than the guy that was never better than Nassib, he also improved so much that we think he's better than Nassib at the same stage. All while never practicing as more than the third string QB, with the exception of this spring.

I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying 1) I'll be surprised if it's not Allen and 2) if it is Hunt, I'll be surprised if he's better than Nassib was as a sophomore.

he who makes the least mistakes gets the job to start-
how long he can keep it is the next agenda

Jim Boeheim always says that he doesn't decide who starts- the players do. (And he's not talking about a vote). If one guy clealry outperforms the other, the decision will be made.

Allen left Oklahoma because they decided to go with the younger guy who will be there QB for years. It would be rough for him if it happens again. That's not going to be the basis for the decision of course. Just sayin...

I understand that if you have two quarterbacks you've got no quarterbacks. It can be disruptive if you "try to get the other guy in", especially in a close game. But it's always bothered me that teams seem to want to go with one guy and only one guy only. Thus we have Curtis Painter defending the Colt's undefeated record when they decided to rest Peyton Manning a few years back. You shouldn't have to wait for blow-outs to get the back up or alternative QB some game action. I think maybe the ideal would be to have Allen win the job and play 90% of the time but to get Hunt in there for the other 10%, maybe one series a game so he'll be ready in case Allen gets injured and for next eyar. .

I have a hard time buying that.

Putting the pieces together...

Supposedly Loeb never challenged Nassib, but that story changed once Nassib was finished. I don't buy any of the discussion after the fact about how close Loeb was.

Supposedly Hunt was clearly behind Loeb.

Here's what we know is true:

Loeb is now behind Hunt.

For it to be true that Loeb is behind Hunt, and Hunt is better than Nassib as a sophomore, it would mean that...

Either Loeb got worse, or Hunt, in one spring, where he started from behind, isn't just better now than the guy that was never better than Nassib, he also improved so much that we think he's better than Nassib at the same stage. All while never practicing as more than the third string QB, with the exception of this spring.

I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying 1) I'll be surprised if it's not Allen and 2) if it is Hunt, I'll be surprised if he's better than Nassib was as a sophomore.

I was under Over and Over was under Dunn.;)

I have a very hard time believing Hunt by a mile b/c I think Nassib was a guy who looked bad in a bad system and looked awesome two years later in a MUCH better system. Did he improve significantly? Absolutely, but I have to believe we're still talking about a pretty good QB as a redshirt sophomore.

So Hunt is possibly (probably?) further along than Nassib, but I would have to believe soph. nassib and soph hunt would be relatively comparable.

The bottom line is that you play the guy who is going to get you the most wins. If it's reeeeeally close but Allen can still deliver even one more win, you play him over Hunt despite what extra experience will do for Hunt down the road. You play to win THIS year, because there are no guarantees for next year.

Eh, it's my contention that the whole playing time = development/improvement theory is among the more misguided myths on this board. I mean, it would seem to stand to reason and I would agree that a guy getting snaps in live game action is valuable. However. There doesn't seem to me to be any reason to think Hunt couldn't continue to improve this year and still be a really good QB for us next year even with a mere handful of snaps.

Another way to look at it is this: If he gets a series a game, for example, it's a good thing. But we're only realistically talking about an average of maybe 5 or 6 snaps a game. Does ~60-70 snaps inherently make Hunt better next season?

didnt hcss say any coach who plays for next year is a loser with a soft nose-

you play every year to win and mix in some time for the next generation

gotta figure 60-70 snaps is about 1 complete game -so yes it just may be a good thing

Hunt is the guy

His punishment was too severe and stunted his growth

Had he practiced last spring there would be no question

Hunt will start under C vs Penn State

Mentioned twice in today's presser that Hunt was impressive.

Seemed to single him out.

I would love Hunt to win the battle. Two reasons:

• Kid is an SU recruit with a hard-as-hell background
  • I think the program would have self confidence from not having to rely on "one-and-dones" who couldn't play at so-called better programs
May the best man win...and hope it is Hunt, though happy to root big for Allen if he is the right guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom