Shafer | Syracusefan.com

Shafer

MadNY3

All American
The thing that really struck me this year was how Shafer evolved as a public leader as a first-year head coach.

As GoSU96 first really pointed out, he was an over-the-top lunatic the first couple games. Since Clemson, he seems to have more of a sage presence on the field and while every bit as passionate in his press conferences, given the sense of strategy in his postgames.

I'll be the first to say that I rolled my eyes at all those Marrone sidelie demeanor posts, but I gotta say Shafer seemed like he really grew big time this year.

Really (cautiously) optimistic on the future of this program.

The thing that really struck me this year was how Shafer evolved as a public leader as a first-year head coach.

As GoSU96 first really pointed out, he was an over-the-top lunatic the first couple games. Since Clemson, he seems to have more of a sage presence on the field and while every bit as passionate in his press conferences, given the sense of strategy in his postgames.

I'll be the first to say that I rolled my eyes at all those Marrone sidelie demeanor posts, but I gotta say Shafer seemed like he really grew big time this year.

Dude...throw caution to the wind! NC or bust in 2014 ;-)

He really did grow into the HC position this year.

He seemed unsure of himself in the opener against PSU and became much more comfortable as the season progressed.

By the Texas Bowl he was a HC - one who handled the PR task of winning over the CNY fans as well as anybody has during my lifetime - and that includes Coach Mac.

When he said "I love this friggin town" he became something special in CNY.

It's still so early in his tenure but after year 1 I'd have to give the following grades to this staff:

Pre-game preparation: D It seems as though we were unprepared for most games. We either got blown out quick or had to make some late game heroics to pull out the win. We came from behind alot this year.

In-game adjustments: A- We came from behind a lot this year!! It seems the coaches were able to pick teams apart in the 2nd half. We couldn't make up the ground against some teams but even Clemson felt like they had a game in the 2nd half for about 5 min, we def make up ground against NW at the end, gave PSU fits at the end of the game, etc.

Ability to rally the team: A Not only did this team win a lot of games from behind, but not many teams recover to go bowling after getting blowout the way we did early in the season to 4 different teams. This staff deserves a lot of credit for fighting and making this team work by the time Nov rolled around.

Recruiting: B+ The overall talent at the top of the recruiting class certainly SEEMS to be improving. Check back in 2016 for the real results.

Public Relations: A I don't even think an explanation is necessary. Shafer is great with the fans, media, players, etc.

Talent Evaluation/Progression: B+ Hunt grew exponentially this year. MVP of the Texas Bowl. McFarlane, Morris, Estime, Broyld, etc. Seems everyone got better as the season progressed. The put Estime in a position to break the game open and he did. I really like what this staff does with it's personnel. Probably would have given them an A if not for the Drew Allen thing.

Really excited to see what this staff can do with a little time under their belts.

cant argue with that.

i loved pointing out all his fire and brimstone talking points, written out on cue cards tucked into his vest pocket, but he really turned a difficult situation in 1 where i cant say he failed at all. if anything, he exceeded expectations and pulled and kept the team together when they couldve ripped apart at the seems.

cautiously optimistic too. id love to see the offense really go nuts because i think he will always make sure his D is solid.

just no 3-4 v option teams put in on the wednesday before.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom