Shame Dabo! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shame Dabo!

I guess we can’t use the word “matters“ anymore?

The media and social media sucks!
CF8D79DE-6E4F-4F2C-8705-2596338AAFD6.gif

In a recruiting thread, i noted that Clemson is literally located on the site of a slave holding plantation and that it is a fact that should be "pointed out" to recruits. Someone did not think much of my take on the matter (and made valid points in opposition).

But, in this age of "wokeness," how can you not use that against Clemson when recruiting? It shouldn't be the focus of your pitch, but Syracuse compares very favorably in this regard.

In a recruiting thread, i noted that Clemson is literally located on the site of a slave holding plantation and that it is a fact that should be "pointed out" to recruits. Someone did not think much of my take on the matter (and made valid points in opposition).

But, in this age of "wokeness," how can you not use that against Clemson when recruiting? It shouldn't be the focus of your pitch, but Syracuse compares very favorably in this regard.
Was very surprised to read that. Doesn't seem to have affected their recruiting.

Was very surprised to read that. Doesn't seem to have affected their recruiting.
Same here. This is what folks mean when they say “institutionalized /systemic rascism”.
Imagine if some folks in parts of Germany decided to have a government flag w/ a swastika or name a college or street “Goebbels Memorial Highway”, and then argued that its just “part of their history/heritage”. That wouldn’t fly anywhere, but because of the race of people being offended, some folks think it’s no big deal.
How can you do honor to traitors who fought against & tried to destroy the country, and then call yourself a patriot?
Whats starting to happen now is that the South and it’s past, are in for a reckoning.
It’s a conversation that has to happen and a long time coming. JMHO

Last edited:

I hope Syracuse coaches never resort to claims of racism to recruit.

Yet.
We’ll see. These things can take on a public life of their own.

I hope Syracuse coaches never resort to claims of racism to recruit.
I agree with you, and i dont have reason to believe that "Clemson," for example, is a racist institution per se. However, i think there is a fine line between "negative" recruiting and pointing to positive attributes of your school/program that other schools/programs might not share.

I have more of a problem with his "Football Matters" shirt, than anything else. The timing of wearing something like that is in poor taste. I don't believe him to be racist, but he seems to be out of touch, and unaffected with the sensitivity of the issues in this country right now.

I have more of a problem with his "Football Matters" shirt, than anything else. The timing of wearing something like that is in poor taste. I don't believe him to be racist, but he seems to be out of touch, and unaffected with the sensitivity of the issues in this country right now.

he's a football coach not some great mind. the status quo for football coaches is they are self consumed ego maniacs who really only think about football. It's not surprising he wouldn't get the nuance to this. I don't think he's a racist at all. He may be intellectually stunted since his entire life has been devoted to a game. He's very good at that one trick mind you but he's not some well rounded thinker.