Sheer brilliance from Landycakes | Syracusefan.com

Sheer brilliance from Landycakes

PoppyHart

All American
That pass alone demonstrates why he's the most talented player in the country's history. Ray Hudson would be having an orgasm.

Amazing how Wondo turns into the invisible man against the first decent competition. I'm not sold on him yet.

That pass alone demonstrates why he's the most talented player in the country's history. Ray Hudson would be having an orgasm.

Amazing how Wondo turns into the invisible man against the first decent competition. I'm not sold on him yet.

Landon Donovan remains our most important player. Bradley is our most consistent player. Dempsey has all the momentum from 2011-2012 EPL and his poaching ability in a US jersey (named my pup after the guy, this is not a slight). Altidore is a big part of our future. but Donovan is still the only guy who has that 'put the team on my back' mentality when you really need it.

As far as most talented player in US history... understatement. he has more assists than #2 and 3 on the all-time US list COMBINED! yeah... the all time leading US goal scorer will probably never be passed on the assist list. Taking it a step further... he is, to date, the most important player in US history as he has been the leader of a team that has brought US soccer to it's burgeoning soccer following.

It drives me absolutely nuts when people shi t on the guy, be it him not being good or him being too selfish. the guy has given/done more to/for US soccer than anyone else in our history.

Wondo is a joke. He's never done anyone who wasn't completely mediocre or worse.

I don't know that Donovan will start in Brazil, but I did see someone toss around the idea that he may be a 65th minute super sub. I kind of love that idea. Imagine bringing someone with that fitness level and skill level and knack for scoring clutch goals late in the game when the other side is getting worn down?

Potentially fantastic. Also allows us to keep younger guys like Zusi in the lineup.

He just stands in the 6 yard box, waiting for balls to drop. He needs to move around more. But to be fair, it was hot as hell yesterday and he has poached a hat full of goals in this tournament so far.

Agree.

Donovan is the best to ever don a USA jersey. It's not close, he takes carp from the eurosnobs because he stayed in mls. With a few goals in Brazil he will finish as one of the higher scorers in WC history

im still trying to understand why so many kids are being put into the soccer system for about the last 20 years and we still struggle to find the athletes to keep up with any of the major teams we play .. our back line D gets run by by almost anyone with speed. I can understand not being the best players but we shouldn't be getting out athleted as well as out talented.

Donovan is the best to ever don a USA jersey. It's not close, he takes carp from the eurosnobs because he stayed in mls. With a few goals in Brazil he will finish as one of the higher scorers in WC history

I agree that Landon is the best in US history, but to say "it's not close" is a little bit of an exaggeration. Dempsey is nearly as good, not to mention the multiple superb keepers we've had over the years.

I agree that Landon is the best in US history, but to say "it's not close" is a little bit of an exaggeration. Dempsey is nearly as good, not to mention the multiple superb keepers we've had over the years.

Dempsey is as good of a scorer, but that is it. He doesn't have Landon's positioning, dribbling, quickness, speed with the ball, crossing, passing, free kicking, hustling and defense reading. he's as close as it comes from the front 10, but it really isn't close.

Keepers, you may have an argument. USA has had, and will continue to have top quality keepers.

Dempsey is as good of a scorer, but that is it. He doesn't have Landon's positioning, dribbling, quickness, speed with the ball, crossing, passing, free kicking, hustling and defense reading. he's as close as it comes from the front 10, but it really isn't close.

Keepers, you may have an argument. USA has had, and will continue to have top quality keepers.

I disagree with you about Dempsey's ability to dribble. I'd say he's at least as dynamic as Landon with the ball. Passing, free kicks, speed with the ball, you may have a point. But Deuce is terrific with the ball, he just tends to play with it a bit too much from time to time.

Dempsey, imo, is currently the best player, but the career spread is pretty significant. It sounds disparaging to others, but Donovan to Dempsey might be similar to a Lebron to Durant comparison. I also choose to limit this debate to national team performance.

If we were restrict it to outfield players, and poll 100 "knowledgeable" people on the best player in USA history, I'd be surprised if more than 5-6 people received 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place votes. Donovan, Dempsey, Wynalda, are easy picks. I'd also cite Reyna and Pope for consistency and longevity.

I disagree with you about Dempsey's ability to dribble. I'd say he's at least as dynamic as Landon with the ball. Passing, free kicks, speed with the ball, you may have a point. But Deuce is terrific with the ball, he just tends to play with it a bit too much from time to time.

Dempsey is a more creative finisher, a slightly fiercer competitor, and a better poacher. Dempsey is also bigger and can create space more easily in the area. Donovan is a point guard out there who can take over when he wants, like an Isaiah Thomas. Donovan certainly has better top speed, pitch awareness, and probably the edge in intangibles, which may speak to why he takes the penalties.

Don't get me wrong. I think Deuce is an amazing player. I agree he is terrific with the ball. I just think Landon is better.

I agree with Poppy too, Deuce probably has a slight edge right now, but i expect them to be our best two players come WC time. As for fiercer competitor... I wish Deuce had Landon's ability to move on from a play quicker. seems to bog Demps down from time to time. I also wish he would show that competitiveness in terms of getting back and playing a little D when needed. That's sometime that Donovan has always done, and it's HUGE for us. Especially in the past when our D has really had to push up to get an attack going.

im still trying to understand why so many kids are being put into the soccer system for about the last 20 years and we still struggle to find the athletes to keep up with any of the major teams we play .. our back line D gets run by by almost anyone with speed. I can understand not being the best players but we shouldn't be getting out athleted as well as out talented.

Because it's the suburban kids who play soccer, and the way we play it is to focus on athleticism and team play, more than individual skill. Individual skill takes more than soccer camps and playing on the high school team. It's developed when you grow up kicking (or dribbling, in the case of hoops) the ball in your every waking moment.

Why do you think inner city kids excel in hoops? Among other reasons, because they don't have so many other sports to play. There may be a rim in somebody's driveway or at the playground, but there's not many football fields or baseball diamonds in the inner city.

That's why Klinsmann is focusing on finding the inner city barrio kids who grow up playing soccer before they ever get to a USA sponsored camp, or get to high school to join an organized team. That's where you get the kids with the outstanding ball skills.

There was a New York Times article about Dutch youth academies - mainly Ajax. It's really interesting. Dutch youth teams spend very little time playing other teams & focus on skills and fitness. They also don't have a pay to play system like the US does

Dempsey, imo, is currently the best player, but the career spread is pretty significant. It sounds disparaging to others, but Donovan to Dempsey might be similar to a Lebron to Durant comparison. I also choose to limit this debate to national team performance.

If we were restrict it to outfield players, and poll 100 "knowledgeable" people on the best player in USA history, I'd be surprised if more than 5-6 people received 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place votes. Donovan, Dempsey, Wynalda, are easy picks. I'd also cite Reyna and Pope for consistency and longevity.

Tab Ramos would be high on the list if not for injuries

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom