Shocked that Coker | Syracusefan.com

Shocked that Coker

Completely agree. That was the biggest surprise to me of the whole depth chart. Thats rather worrisome if you ask me because every time I see Coker it somebody, I think this guy is gonna be a really good LB. I would love to know the reasoning that he didn't make the two deep.

That and the Keon lyn situation. I found Marrones response coupled with lyns twitter feed interesting to say the least. Did lyn get Wally Pipp'd or is he still hurt? Marrones presser gave me the indication that he was healthy enough to play but wouldn't start.

I think Coker might be Marcus Sales from last year. In the coaching doghouse?

I thought that was very interesting myself. Bnoro mentioned previously that he thinks it was a tactic to push Coker, and that certainly makes sense. I don't know if I ever see Coker starting for a long stretch of games at any point in his career, but as a versatile athlete who can bring the lumber, he will be a very important depth and ST player in the upcoming and future seasons. In addition to motivation, I think it also speaks to the big upgrades Marrone has made in the quality of our walk-on players.

Where did Dom come from? Was he noticed a lot in Spring Practice? While a walk-on being on the two deep is a bit of a surprise, was his play over the spring/summer warranting of it? I'll have to go back to nunes player profiles to check...

I remember him from the spring game and Anene was actually relatively impressive.

Coker plays SLB. Anene plays WLB.

So Coker got beaten out by a true freshman (Lynch), not a walk-on.

Actually, you're right about Lynch and add Diabte's move to MLB, probably his best position. Could be Coker's been moved around to unfamiliar LB positions just to get him some PT, and it's late in camp to boot. I think LC'S probably most comfortable at MIKE, but is trying like hell to get on the field and taking what the coaches give him. I really don't know if he has an attitude problem or he's just not cutting it due to the learning curve at the outside slots. Also, he may not have the speed of Lynch or possibly Anene (he certainly doesn't have Dom's size). But it could well be a move by the staff to push him to compete harder.

is beaten out by walkon

I think Anene has done pretty well and might be our biggest linebacker.

The biggest surprise to me is Stevens - talked (raved) about all camp (best receiver) and he's not listed. 3rd string.

Only other real notes are 6 freshman on the 2 deep and Gulley ends up 2nd string RB. If I'm not mistaken the frosh are West, Trudo, Foy, Crume, Lynch, and Reddish

The biggest surprise to me is Stevens - talked (raved) about all camp (best receiver) and he's not listed. 3rd string.

Only other real notes are 6 freshman on the 2 deep and Gulley ends up 2nd string RB. If I'm not mistaken the frosh are West, Trudo, Foy, Crume, Lynch, and Reddish

Stevens is more of an H-back, the depth chart only listed the two traditional TE's (Provo and Wales).

I think Anene just flat beat him out and yes, he is big. I agree on Stevens, I always thought he had talent, just couldn't put it all together til this yr. I also believe he's got a RS yr left. None of the Freshmen mentioned surprise me, but we all know Trudo and Foy are forced into the 2 deep. I think we'll see plenty of Eskridge, too.

I think you have to replace West (technically a sophomore) with Dyshawn Davis (technically a true freshman) and that's the 6.

As for Stevens, I'm guessing he'll see a lot of time Thursday. Where did Flemming land on that depth chart? Haven't heard much about him and he didn't make Rahme's article about the offense when discussing the WRs.

I think Coker might be Marcus Sales from last year. In the coaching doghouse?

Or maybe he isn't grasping the concepts quick enough. Some kids get by on athleticism in HS. The positive is we have walk-ons capable of making limited contributions.

Or maybe he isn't grasping the concepts quick enough. Some kids get by on athleticism in HS. The positive is we have walk-ons capable of making limited contributions.

Could totally be... I was just spitballin'.

I think you have to replace West (technically a sophomore) with Dyshawn Davis (technically a true freshman) and that's the 6.

As for Stevens, I'm guessing he'll see a lot of time Thursday. Where did Flemming land on that depth chart? Haven't heard much about him and he didn't make Rahme's article about the offense when discussing the WRs.
Flemming had a good camp, but landed on the WR 3-deep. WR is a high rotation position, so we're likely to see 6 or more wideouts at times. He'll play along with walk-on, Acchionne, who beat out true Frosh, Kobena, Hale and Foster. Kobena will see the field on ST, but it remains to be seen when he sees time at WR, depending on his progression. Hale and Foster will likely RS.

I think Anene just flat beat him out and yes, he is big. I agree on Stevens, I always thought he had talent, just couldn't put it all together til this yr. I also believe he's got a RS yr left. None of the Freshmen mentioned surprise me, but we all know Trudo and Foy are forced into the 2 deep. I think we'll see plenty of Eskridge, too.

I don't. Coker is the real deal--his injury [coupled with the position change] set him back, that's all.

And I also don't believe that Acchione beat those players out as you suggest. I'm quite confident that all three of those WRs--Kobena, Hale, and Foster--are better players than Acchione. I think it came down to whether the team would be better served having a walk-on be serviceable as the #5, #6, or #7 WR, and whether players like Foster, Hale, etc. would be better served as long term resources by redshirting them.

Yes good catch with Dyshawn Davis. 6 true freshman on the depth chart (one starter) and 1 Redshirt Freshman in West (yeah yeah redshirts are awarded for senior years.)

And Eskridge is obviously going to be on the field a lot.

I don't. Coker is the real deal--his injury [coupled with the position change] set him back, that's all.

And I also don't believe that Acchione beat those players out as you suggest. I'm quite confident that all three of those WRs--Kobena, Hale, and Foster--are better players than Acchione. I think it came down to whether the team would be better served having a walk-on be serviceable as the #5, #6, or #7 WR, and whether players like Foster, Hale, etc. would be better served as long term resources by redshirting them.
I can't disagree with your post at all. Don't get me wrong, I like Coker a lot, but Anese beat him out... at least, at this point in time. I just think there are other things to consider about Coker right now, and I don't necessarilly agree or disagree it's attitude. It could be multiple factors, including being banged up, learning curve at the outside, whatever. But Anene did beat him out, he wasn't handed the 2-deep spot, he earned it. It's just a fact. I also think you misinterpret what I say about the Frosh WR. Your point is valid, Hale and Foster are better atheletes and are better served RS this year. But I didn't mean to suggest Acchione beat out the Frosh WRs. I should have stated he earned the last spot, which was a surprise to me. I don't disagree with you, experience is probably the stumbling block with Kobena, Hale and Foster, not lack of talent. Every player coming is given the chance to win a depth spot, including walk-ons and true Frosh. Acchione and Anene just capitalized on it. BTW, Kobena will play IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom