Should be No. 1 seed on realtimerpi.com tomorrow | Syracusefan.com

Should be No. 1 seed on realtimerpi.com tomorrow

Palm at CBSSports.com is a bit more realistic. RPI #7 (this will help us down the road, whether it's RPI or not - huge increase in OCC strength and wins from last year). 7 seed in the tourney (and this was from 12/15 - before G'town and Buffalo).

Update: Palm now has us at #4 also. Guess it hadn't been updated when I checked it this morning.

Last edited:
Palm at CBSSports.com is a bit more realistic. RPI #7 (this will help us down the road, whether it's RPI or not - huge increase in OCC strength and wins from last year). 7 seed in the tourney (and this was from 12/15 - before G'town and Buffalo).

Update: Palm now has us at #4 also. Guess it hadn't been updated when I checked it this morning.

Both Yahoo and CBS has SU at RPI #4 today. ESPN has us at #6 because they consider UConn game is a home game for Syracuse.

Both Yahoo and CBS has SU at RPI #4 today. ESPN has us at #6 because they consider UConn game is a home game for Syracuse.

did they also consider the GTown game a home game for SU? By the sounds of it, as many or more SU fans were there than GTown.

The RPI is a simple, objective, system which is actually pretty good. The problem is not the algorithm, it is that there are only 31 data points available to compare 350 teams. If every team played every other team you would realize how robust the RPI is. One shouldn't expect too much when there are only 10 data points.

Losing to us at the dome bumped Buffalo up 16 places in the RPI. The thing is a joke.

The RPI is a simple, objective, system which is actually pretty good. The problem is not the algorithm, it is that there are only 31 data points available to compare 350 teams. If every team played every other team you would realize how robust the RPI is. One shouldn't expect too much when there are only 10 data points.

If every team played every other team wouldn't you just sort by record as oppsoed to RPI?

The RPI is a terrible metric. I’m glad we’re benefitting from gaming the system this year (when it’s hurt us in the past). But it’s still terrible.

If every team played every other team wouldn't you just sort by record as oppsoed to RPI?

No. Home court is meaningful. You need to have some metric included to factor that in too. A simple weighting should suffice. As in a road win = 1.2 wins, or whatever, isn't that part of the RPI?

No. Home court is meaningful. You need to have some metric included to factor that in too. A simple weighting should suffice. As in a road win = 1.2 wins, or whatever, isn't that part of the RPI?

Yeah you're right, I was thinking everyone played everyone home and away when I said that, but absolutely, you are correct.

A home win counts as 0.6 win, while a road win counts as 1.4 wins. Inversely, a home loss equals 1.4 losses, while a road loss counts as 0.6 loss.

A home win counts as 0.6 win, while a road win counts as 1.4 wins. Inversely, a home loss equals 1.4 losses, while a road loss counts as 0.6 loss.

That's too low for a home win or a road loss, IMO. All that's left to do is factor in SoS, which you could do simply by adding all the combined wins of the teams you've beaten. Rank them all by SoS and use it to decide among the marginal teams. {copyrighted}

We are down to #8 as of the current minute. (And yes this measure had us at #4 this morning).

Not a waste of time to see that our RPI is quite strong, but it is a total waste of time to look at "seeding" based on current RPI which is stupid and useless on so many levels.

Live-RPI.com

We are down to #8 as of the current minute. (And yes this measure had us at #4 this morning).

Not a waste of time to see that our RPI is quite strong, but it is a total waste of time to look at "seeding" based on current RPI which is stupid and useless on so many levels.

Live-RPI.com
No surprise on the drop after UConn, Buffalo and Iona lost last night.

did they also consider the GTown game a home game for SU? By the sounds of it, as many or more SU fans were there than GTown.

I thought ESPN officially determined that Georgetown, in addition to MSG, NJ, FL, New England (except Stores), PA, PR, HA, and a few other places were home games for Syracuse.

Why can't we be like everyone else and have just one home location?

I thought ESPN officially determined that Georgetown, in addition to MSG, NJ, FL, New England (except Stores), PA, PR, HA, and a few other places were home games for Syracuse.

Why can't we be like everyone else and have just one home location?
You are joking, right? ESPN only considers MSG is semi home game for SU.

You are joking, right? ESPN only considers MSG is semi home game for SU.
Yes, the exaggeration is from another Orange fan blog that had the Otto-Man Empire. Wherever Syracuse won and had 50% or more of the fans was then deemed another home game for Syracuse.

The joke started when ESPN claimed MSG as a home court for SU an denied similar status for Duke and UNC who rarely play outside of NC for the early OOC, with a tighter radius than SU to MSG.

This had been a running gag for years on this site. I can't recall the site, but if someone else provides the link, my statement will make sense and you will have an enjoyable read.

If every team played every other team there would be no need for it.
Edit: just saw that others said the same before I did.

So then, would the best plan be to schedule tons of cupcakes away, and tough games at home?

Yes, the exaggeration is from another Orange fan blog that had the Otto-Man Empire. Wherever Syracuse won and had 50% or more of the fans was then deemed another home game for Syracuse.

The joke started when ESPN claimed MSG as a home court for SU an denied similar status for Duke and UNC who rarely play outside of NC for the early OOC, with a tighter radius than SU to MSG.

This had been a running gag for years on this site. I can't recall the site, but if someone else provides the link, my statement will make sense and you will have an enjoyable read.
The thing that drives me nuts is that we can't shake the reputation for playing OOC games out of state, while UNC and Duke can't seem to get the reputation for playing NCAA tourney games in their home state.

The RPI's we've faced aren't in the 300's, so that helps. But only two "Top 100" wins isn't exactly a good chip.

The RPI is also worthless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom