should ennis look to "get his" sooner? | Syracusefan.com

should ennis look to "get his" sooner?

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
instead of taking over offensively with 5 minutes left, why not do it with 15 minutes left so we're not in a dogfight with 5 minutes left when hes forced to take over?

i know its not his game but he can pretty much get in to the lane at will and hes getting better at those little runners and floaters, i think for us to cut down the nets hes gonna need to score more. and i have no doubt hes good enough to shoulder that load too.

We're 19-0 I'm fine with whatever he's doing

If he starts too early, maybe he runs out of gas or the other team has too much time to adjust and comes back themselves. I'm fine with the way he handles it now. When he's driving the train, we win. Let him decide when to turn it on. I like our chances!

Tyler should keep doing exactly what he has been doing. I don't swear or carry on during games like I used to because my family got to the point they wouldn't watch games with me and that embarrassed me. But when someone messes up, I still bark out "______ you can do better than that" or something to that effect. I honestly don't remember getting upset at Tyler all year to this point, which is truly amazing for a freshman point guard.

If he starts too early, maybe he runs out of gas or the other team has too much time to adjust and comes back themselves. I'm fine with the way he handles it now. When he's driving the train, we win. Let him decide when to turn it on. I like our chances!

Much of this has to do with the plays Coach B calls and when. Over the last several games, Boeheim has dialed up screen-and-roll plays toward the end of halves--roughly the last possession or two in the first half, and the last 5-6 minutes of the second half. This puts the ball in Tyler's hands in big spots, allowing him to make reads and decide how to facilitate from there. Tyler tends to be more aggressive in these situations than he is when we are running sets where he is not the first option.

We run more of our other offensive sets throughout the game (baseline screens, double fist, pin downs, high-low, etc.) as a way of keeping the defense "guessing," forcing defenders to chase players like Cooney around, and allowing our various offensive weapons to contribute. Oftentimes, Tyler only shoots in these sets if left wide open with his feet set on the perimeter, and he seems hesitant at times to drive the ball in favor of deferring to teammates. Don't forget that the sets that feature our other players tend to help us build leads or stay in position to win games late--it's not like they are ineffective.

However, when the team really needs a bucket, our Hall-of-Fame coach pulls out the screen-and-roll, which the team can run from different angles against different defenses. This makes Tyler a weapon--he is the first option to score on the play. Moreover, no matter how the the defense tries to stop this option, he can find the open man to make them pay. Incredibly, he has been excellent in these situations, executing like a seasoned pro.

So, why wait to call these screen-and-rolls? I can logically speculate that a reason Boeheim sparingly uses screen-and-roll sets is to discourage the defense from becoming comfortable defending what we want to run in crunch time.

Last edited:
Don't tell Tyler Ennis what he should do.

instead of taking over offensively with 5 minutes left, why not do it with 15 minutes left so we're not in a dogfight with 5 minutes left when hes forced to take over?

i know its not his game but he can pretty much get in to the lane at will and hes getting better at those little runners and floaters, i think for us to cut down the nets hes gonna need to score more. and i have no doubt hes good enough to shoulder that load too.
8 1/2 minutes :D

SU plays 6 guys in the 2nd half; four of them will play all 20 minutes in tough games. One of them is the 180 pound freshman who will determine if this team cuts down the nets or not.

Throttle down, spread it around, conserve your energy for winning time.

Trying to "get his" will result in ball hogging which would cause other issues. The net effect would be a negative. He's fine as he is.

I disagree. Wouldn't be an issue with this team, imo. He's the PG, he has the ball the majority of the time anyway, regardless whether he is dribbling around the perimeter or attacking the basket with the "score" mentality.

Trying to "get his" will result in ball hogging which would cause other issues. The net effect would be a negative. He's fine as he is.
I couldnt agree more. His number one job as pg should be as facilitator and to make his teammates better. And he has great weapons in CJ, Grant , Cooney (even Rak is showing some ability to score) so get them the ball in right spots (and Rak more often w that shooting percentage of his). If he does that then at the end, the d will be keyed in on those guys and then Ennis can do his thing. You notice in the Pitt game on his first big clutch driving layup (the one w his right hand). That guard was hedging over toward CJ and Tyler recognized that very quickly and exploited it. Thats EXCTLY what im talking about.

I couldnt agree more. His number one job as pg should be as facilitator and to make his teammates better. And he has great weapons in CJ, Grant , Cooney (even Rak is showing some ability to score) so get them the ball in right spots (and Rak more often w that shooting percentage of his). If he does that then at the end, the d will be keyed in on those guys and then Ennis can do his thing. You notice in the Pitt game on his first big clutch driving layup (the one w his right hand). That guard was hedging over toward CJ and Tyler recognized that very quickly and exploited it. Thats EXCTLY what im talking about.
And at the end of a game if our opponent doesnt hedge on CJ, then Tyler will get him the ball. The whole key is we need to be a unit, not a bunch if individuals, and then Tyler is at his very best

I was thinking about this as well but if he gets called for a couple charges early it puts us in a bad spot. If there's 5 minutes left and he has 2 or less fouls you feel better about him driving the lane. National titles aren't won til March/April so we are doing well to keep the tough miles off and avoid nagging injuries as well.

I think he is fine. Would like to see more set ups throughout the game for easy baskets or "dunks" to Christmas/Grant/Fair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom