Should we brag about it? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should we brag about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3) The ‘major sport’ characterization is a bit arbitrary. As is “Power 5,” and I don’t even know which conferences that includes/excludes.
Football: ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12
Basketball: those five plus Big East (it's really P6 for hoops)

Race doesn't appear to have been a factor in choosing either coach.
THAT is something to brag about.

Now let's hope they're both very successful.
SU did it right: merit. If you always hire the best people, diversity will follow.

1) I don’t care for being called an ”AA.” The words or the initials. I/we have no practical connection to Africa. It’s a continent, not a nationality. How often is a Jersey guido referred to as a European-American? Makes us sound less like Americans and more like ‘halvsies’ who could/should just go ‘home.’

2) No, I don’t think it’s remarkable that we have two major sport black head coaches. If we were the onlies, at this point, that would seem odd and incidental, but not quite remarkable.

3) The ‘major sport’ characterization is a bit arbitrary. As is “Power 5,” and I don’t even know which conferences that includes/excludes.

4) If there’s a story about which black assistants deserve HC roles but we’re denied for spurious reasons, that’s a story worth being told.

5) There’s no AA “community.”
I’m saying there is no singular “black community,” not that there aren’t many.

If there’s One, the way the media/individuals commonly refer to it, that would imply we all think the same way and share the same experiences. Which is quite untrue. There’s no convention, no newsletter, no Facebook group, or email chain. The Black Community is as diverse as The White Community would be, if anyone actually referred to one. Meaning the Alaska salmon fisher boat captain, the Ozark meth dealer, Eric Trump, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and the aforementioned Jersey guido would all be a part of it. If that’s a ‘community,‘ then sure. But that kind of demographic is entirely meaningless.

I used the term 'AA' because someone else had used it. I figured if that term is to be used, white Americans must be "euro-Americans so somesuch.

If we are one of only two D1 schools with black head coaches for both football and basketball, it suggests that blacks are being treated as a community by college sports. You combat that by asking: Why is it only schools?

Football and Basketball as 'major sport' because they produce the most revenue and are the face of the school to most people. There may be exceptions, (Iowa wrestling?) but they are exceptions. As to the Power Five, that's getting frayed as the Big12 fights to survive but one poster has said that they'd checked and it's all of Division1 in any case, which suggests that #4 is, in fact an issue.

So should we keep quiet about it, make a big deal out of it, or something in between?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom