SI: Desirability Ranking of All P-5 Schools | Syracusefan.com

SI: Desirability Ranking of All P-5 Schools

CBS ranked college athletic programs last year and had SU at no. 30. I believe I’ve also seen rankings of the dollar value of collegiate athletics programs (like a pro franchise is valued) and SU is in the 30-40 range.

I think our value is in the 30s right now. That’s where I first started looking. I think the perception of our program is at 60

I think we are about 44 when our hoops team is good. Closer to 50 when it’s not. This is a bit low but we are also about as low as we have ever been sports wise so can’t kill them

Why assess each school's 'All-sports' ranking but then base the 'Attendance' number just on football?

SU's football attendance isn't consistently great but average hoops attendance is the best in the nation.

I don't like this table.

Why assess each school's 'All-sports' ranking but then base the 'Attendance' number just on football?

SU's football attendance isn't consistently great but average hoops attendance is the best in the nation.

I don't like this table.
Schools like Ped State and UM can have a couple of off years and still double the attendance of SU in some of their best. I'm not a big fan of this metric. If they're going to do that, why not toss in hoops attendance and give SU a boost?

Schools like Ped State and UM can have a couple of off years and still double the attendance of SU in some of their best. I'm not a big fan of this metric. If they're going to do that, why not toss in hoops attendance and give SU a boost?
Because it defeats the purpose of passing off shoddy work as deep thought. Further, it may make people think a little. We definitely cannot have that happening!

It is safe to say that the TV execs, conference top dogs, and university chancellor's and presidents use much more detailed analysis when reviewing a teams real worth to a conference.

At the turn of the millennium, we would have been in the top 20 in desirability. How things have changed.

Last edited:
This evaluation is mostly based on football, and football, and football viewership.
Yeah, but even in football, Syracuse has the ability to be better then we are now.

We aren’t a historically terrible program like Rutgers.

At Rutgers, it’s considered an achievement that Schiano’s gotten them to to the point that they aren’t 52 point home underdogs anymore, or whatever that ridiculous betting line was when they hosted Ohio State in 2018 or 2019. (Which Rutgers ended up covering by “only” losing by 49 IIRC. Lol.)

A new version of rating the appeal of all the various candidates for the mega-conferences of the near future was done by FiveThirtyEight.com. Syracuse fares much better in this set of ratings, and is in roughly the middle of the pack.

The ACC would be in better shape if those most able to step it up would so, and be consistent. That especially means FSU, Miami, and UNC.

Interesting article from SI, talking about who gets in the boat this time around.
I honestly thought our viewership / merchandise sales might have lifted us up higher than this.

Orange Nation had this interview with Tony Altimore earlier this week on estimating Syracuse's nationwide fan base. He sounded pretty impressed.