Sidibe's Return | Syracusefan.com

Sidibe's Return

OrangeinDC

Mission: Always destroy Bayside44 in Hoops!
I'm really stuck on this one. I know big picture that this guy and what he brings to the team with his defense and rebounding is critical for us... But how do we bring him back into the flow, without disrupting the things the team does well and incorporate what he brings? Can't imagine not having AG, QG and MD in the game down the stretch along with JG/KR and Buddy. But, it also seems crazy to not have your best big in. Do we sit one of those guys, play offense/defense or just go with game situations? I don't think it's as simple as just throwing another body in there at the 5 and business as usual because the skill sets are so different. I mean those two individuals (at the 5) changes the type of offensive and defensive game we play. Also, who starts, who sits at the beginning and will it affect their production? I'm really stuck on the best approach, can't wait to see how Coach handles it..

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere and I missed it.. If so, my apologies.

Last edited:
I'm really stuck on this one. I know big picture that this guy and what he brings to the team with his defense and rebounding is critical for us... But how do we bring him back into the flow, without disrupting the things the team does well and incorporate what he brings? Can't imagine not having AG, QG and MD in the game down the stretch along with JG/KR and Buddy. But, it also seems crazy to not have your best big in. Do we sit one of those guys, play offense/defense or just go with game situations? I don't think it's as simple as just throwing another body in there at the 5 and business as usual because the skill sets are so different. I mean those two individuals (at the 5) changes the type of offensive and defensive game we play. Also, who starts, who sits at the beginning and will it affect their production? I'm really stuck on the best approach, can't wait to see how Coach handles it..

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere and I missed it.. If so, my apologies.
Well, I don’t have a clue, but I look forward to the discussion! :)

My man!

I think the move is to bring Sidibe off the bench personally. He's still a solid player and there will certainly be matchups where we need the extra size, but for example, I've seen people saying you just put him at C and move Dolezaj and Guerrier down to PF and SF respectively and Griffin to the bench and I don't think that would be wise at all. I think we should have 2 of the 3 bigs (Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Guerrier) on the floor at all times basically but never all 3 of them unless we're getting massacred on the boards and want to try something to counter it.

Sid starts extended press(ure) defense with him on the bench around the 12 minutes mark. I get the offense is good enough, but the only way this years team is taking advantage of athleticism during acc play without sid, is with some extended defense; so do it differently and pressure while ahead. Newton and JBA as .5 men eat up the 2 3 4 and 5 spot. Heck even play some JBA with Dolezaj some.

I think it would be good if you could actually get one of the 3 bigs to play the pressure D and not have to use the other 2 in a place thats more libel to get Fouls. Not sure we can get there though with the issues they bring on the offensive side once it settles down.

But you could go Kadary/Griffin/ Marek/Guerrier and and of the bigs and probably get a better press using Newton/Braswell and still be pretty big and athletic.

I think he will start but his reintegration will be gradual because he is going to be severely out of game shape. Remember there was the 4 week layoff then he played like 5 minutes and then another 4-5 week layoff (plus whatever effects the injury has). It will be quite some time before he has the conditioning to play big minutes and I suspect we’ll see him foul a lot at the beginning partially due to that and partially due to how rusty he will be. I think we’ll see him start and used situationally at first.

yep, this right here.
in most games, vs most teams, as much as many of our fans throw tantrums about it, we're a better all-around team w Marek at the 5 and allowing for all 3 of QG, Griffin, Buddy to be on the floor together
I think the move is to bring Sidibe off the bench personally. He's still a solid player and there will certainly be matchups where we need the extra size, but for example, I've seen people saying you just put him at C and move Dolezaj and Guerrier down to PF and SF respectively and Griffin to the bench and I don't think that would be wise at all. I think we should have 2 of the 3 bigs (Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Guerrier) on the floor at all times basically but never all 3 of them unless we're getting massacred on the boards and want to try something to counter it.

Can we get the thread title changed to the proper spelling of Sidibe?

I think he will start but his reintegration will be gradual because he is going to be severely out of game shape. Remember there was the 4 week layoff then he played like 5 minutes and then another 4-5 week layoff (plus whatever effects the injury has). It will be quite some time before he has the conditioning to play big minutes and I suspect we’ll see him foul a lot at the beginning partially due to that and partially due to how rusty he will be. I think we’ll see him start and used situationally at first.

That's it! I don't thing there are any bad options... You could legitimately argue any lineup option and not be wrong. I do agree with the poster above, it's more than just sliding a different person in at the 5. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom