Women's Lacrosse - Sidney Pirreca joins SU staff as Assistant Coach | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse Sidney Pirreca joins SU staff as Assistant Coach

Gait Adds Pirreca to Coaching Staff
9/11/2019 3:16:00 PM | Women's Lacrosse

Share: Facebook Button Twitter Button Email Button

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Two-time All-American Sydney Pirreca has joined the Syracuse women's lacrosse coaching staff head coach Gary Gait announced on Wednesday, Sept. 11. Pirreca, who will serve as an assistant coach for the Orange, graduated last spring from the University of Florida where she ranks as the sixth-leading scorer in school history.

"We're excited to bring in a young, energetic coach," Gait said. "As a player, she was fierce and intense. She was a leader on her team. We know she'll bring that attitude to our sideline."

"I'm super excited to be here and work with our players, who very talented, hard-working and have great energy," Pirreca said. "I feel like, having just graduated last spring, I can relate to what they are going through and I can add my knowledge to the team. I'm looking forward to getting to know the team better and working with Coach Gait."

The Mount Sinai, N.Y. native was a four-year starter and two-time captain for Florida. She became just the seventh player in program history to reach 200 career points, ending her career ranked sixth on the school's all-time scoring list with 215 points. Pirreca was named an honorable mention All-American by Inside Lacrosse in 2019 and was an IWLCA third-team All-American in 2018. In addition, she earned the 2018 BIG EAST Midfielder of the Year award and was a two-time member of the Tewaaraton Award Watch List.

Pirreca was also recognized for her work in the classroom. She was a two-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll and a 2018 BIG EAST All-Academic Team honoree.

Pirreca served as a volunteer coach at Mount Sinai High School for three summers and was an assistant coach for the Long Island Elite Yellow Jackets club team in 2014.

Syracuse returns the majority of its roster from last year's squad that posted a 16-5 record and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament.

Lots of Gait's former players are coaching now (including his daughter)- interesting he chose to bring in someone from outside the family.

I love Sydney Pirecca as a player and used to watch her in her Mt. Sinai days playing with current members on the team Meaghan Tyrrell and Hannah VanMiddlem. I always wished she ended up switching her commitment from Florida to Syracuse, which never happened but also enjoyed watching her career at Florida. She was always a tough player to guard as her athleticism, speed, and powerful shot was difficult to defend.

However, I’m clueless as to WHY? Why out of all of the possibilities, he thought that going this route would elevate our team to the next level and get us over the National Title hump? Bringing in someone freshly out of college is extremely risky. If he wanted to go this route, why not bring in 2019 Tewaaratan winner Megan Taylor? Someone who would be able to help Goldstock in the cage and help on the defensive end, which is easily our achilles heal. Or bring in 2018 Tewaaratan winner Sam Apuzzo to help offensively, or Tewaaratan Finalist and Maryland stand out Megan Whittle who has helped Dartmouth this past season become a relevant program out of nowhere? Hell, what about Dempsey Arsenault or Kenzie Kent?

I followed Inside Lacrosse’s: The Season 2019 where they covered the Florida Gators over the 2018-2019 season. The seniors were having a tough time with team chemistry and they were losing games they shouldn’t have lost. It got to the point where Head Coach Amanda O’Leary had to sit all of the seniors down and let them know that they had to step up and become leaders on the team if they wanted to turn their season around— Sydney Pirecca being one of those seniors. That is extremely worrying to me, that going into her senior year she didn’t know that she had to be a leader and get all of the girls on the same page.

And I’m going to be completely honest, I think Gait’s lost the plot and this is going to be a disaster. I’m extremely disappointed/frustrated with Gait in this decision. I was rooting for Gait to finally make just one good decision with this team, but this was my last strike with him.

But, with that being said, I really hope my foot is shoved in my mouth, I’m proved wrong and she turns out to be an awesome coach that helps our team get our first national title. Nothing I would love more. If we ever have a chance at winning a natty its next year, because we return nearly all of our major starters.

welcome to syracuse go orange2.gif

^^ Good read. I've come to terms with this, and will just trust that Gary has made the right decision. I'm hoping that she will be able to help clean up some of the sloppiness between the 30's and she will help us on the recruiting end-- with her being from Long Island. Hopefully we can start snatching up some more of the better players down there. Welcome to the Syracuse Orange family Sydney, and I wish you all the luck on this upcoming season. Let's go get our first of many National Championships!!

giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom