silent G pass to himself | Syracusefan.com

silent G pass to himself

CusefanATL said:
How was that not a turnover? Big play and I'll take it but it was a travel or a double dribble of some sort.
I used to love seeing that when kids who didn't really play basketball did that. Thing is, G can do anything he wants. He is our best player thus far. Doing so much right now.

dont care if it was when players get on you first step starting a fast break they deserve to get leveled hard.
Its like a blindside pick from a 240 pounder in the open cout people tend to frown on those its kinda dirty.

3rd-4th time we have seen it this year. If you catch it and throw it 3 feet before you dribble it it could be considered going into your first dribble though and probably should in the open court but not near the basket where it is looked on as a shot.

How was that not a turnover?

Big play and I'll take it but it was a travel or a double dribble of some sort.
Not a travel because he did not have possession of the ball, and had not taken a dribble before throwing it forward therefore not a double dribble at least that's the way I see it. Refs called nothing so it must have been a legal play, right?

Not a travel because he did not have possession of the ball, and had not taken a dribble before throwing it forward therefore not a double dribble at least that's the way I see it. Refs called nothing so it must have been a legal play, right?

I think he def had possession of the ball. The difference would be if the ball was deflected, I think

If you are referring to the play I think you are, I believe the ball was slightly deflected. Even the announcers mentioned that.

Possibly, we had a crew at the house for dinner so the announcers were not really audible to me. The play I was talking about ended as the oop to Roberson.

I think he def had possession of the ball. The difference would be if the ball was deflected, I think
To be a travel you must have the ball in your possession while you travel, he did not.

To be a travel you must have the ball in your possession while you travel, he did not.

You can not pass the ball to yourself. C'mon man.

"According to the Official NBA Rulebook, you will charged with traveling and lose possession if you are the first person that touches a ball after you have made a pass. The NCAA and International Basketball Federation both have similar rules. All three groups agree that the ball must legally contact another in-bounds player for a throw-in to be completed. Although "legal contact" refers primarily to whether the receiving player is fully in bounds, this term can also apply to situations of deliberately bouncing the ball off another player."

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/basketball-rules-selfpass-4646.html

"According to the Official NBA Rulebook, you will charged with traveling and lose possession if you are the first person that touches a ball after you have made a pass. The NCAA and International Basketball Federation both have similar rules. All three groups agree that the ball must legally contact another in-bounds player for a throw-in to be completed. Although "legal contact" refers primarily to whether the receiving player is fully in bounds, this term can also apply to situations of deliberately bouncing the ball off another player."

It wasn't a pass.
just a 2 foot placed high first dribble.
point guards go into their first dribble in the backcourt off two hands on the ball all the time.
If your going to get in his blindside (dirty ball) off his very first dribble off a rebound as he turns around, then you could find the back of your head hitting the hardwood like a helmet to helmet football hit. Its for the safety of the players.

There is a rule to a charge call that says the offense has to adjust to the defense. If they are going to blindside him without rubbing up phsically on them so he doesn't know they are there when he turns around then he has to place the ball down at a strange angle.

Its like a trap players pivot out of them and one of the defenders gets pushed back 3 feet, but they don't call charge, because they are giving the offensive guy some room to adjust.

Last edited:
How was that not a turnover?

Big play and I'll take it but it was a travel or a double dribble of some sort.

I think it was hit out of hands by the opposing player and then he recovered it.

I do not see it your way nor did the referees, end of story! By the way this is not the NBA so that citation of yours is not relevant.

I do not see it your way nor did the referees, end of story! By the way this is not the NBA so that citation of yours is not relevant.

no offense, but you don't know what you are talking about. Im doing my best to be nice here.

it was either the defender hit the ball or the refs made the wrong call.

It wasn't a pass.
just a 2 foot placed high first dribble.
point guards go into their first dribble in the backcourt off two hands on the ball all the time.
If your going to get in his blindside (dirty ball) off his very first dribble off a rebound as he turns around, then you could find the back of your head hitting the hardwood like a helmet to helmet football hit. Its for the safety of the players.

There is a rule to a charge call that says the offense has to adjust to the defense. If they are going to blindside him without rubbing up phsically on them so he doesn't know they are there when he turns around then he has to place the ball down at a strange angle.

Its like a trap players pivot out of them and one of the defenders gets pushed back 3 feet, but they don't call charge, because they are giving the offensive guy some room to adjust.

No offense, but this is all wrong.

I think the other play tapped it up with his hand.

Possibly. But in that look which is a great angle just a tad far away it didn't look like it.

In any case. We got the 2 and they were a big 2. But I'm pissed if I'm a Uconn fan.

The other possibility is that the Ref saw this as some sort of tip forward without establishing possession -- although the two handed tap is hard to rationalize.

It was not a tip -- but I am just trying to figure what the ref was thinking.

I used to do that all the time in highschool in the exact same "steal at the top of the zone" scenario and never got whistled for it.

That means nothing. Just thought I'd share.

No offense, but this is all wrong.

No, actually he's completely right. It's a dribble. You're first dribble can be pretty much anything, including two hands. If you watch the NBA, Lebron does this on a nightly basis when fast breaking. He catches the ball off the pass or steal and while turning throws it ahead to himself with both hands. If one can't do this the rulebook becomes very vague and open to interpretation. Otherwise, what's the definition of a dribble? All dribbles could technically be passes to oneself, albeit one handed ones. And if it's two hands that cause the problem, simply dropping the ball (say when falling after grabbing a rebound) with both hands would prevent one from picking it up again or dribbling.

Possibly. But in that look which is a great angle just a tad far away it didn't look like it.

In any case. We got the 2 and they were a big 2. But I'm pissed if I'm a Uconn fan.

We need to put the G pass to himself into the play book!

No, actually he's completely right. It's a dribble. You're first dribble can be pretty much anything, including two hands. If you watch the NBA, Lebron does this on a nightly basis when fast breaking. He catches the ball off the pass or steal and while turning throws it ahead to himself with both hands. If one can't do this the rulebook becomes very vague and open to interpretation. Otherwise, what's the definition of a dribble? All dribbles could technically be passes to oneself, albeit one handed ones. And if it's two hands that cause the problem, simply dropping the ball (say when falling after grabbing a rebound) with both hands would prevent one from picking it up again or dribbling.

That may be the interpretation. He wasn't actually moving with the ball at that point. It did look like he passed to himself. But after that he was dribbling.

No, you can not pass to yourself on your 1st dribble to avoid a defender who is surprisingly right in front of you. You can't take 5 steps (I didn't count in this case and am on cell now) from the time you get possession to your 1st dribble.

It would be different if this was a tipped steal. But he had possession of the ball with 2 hands and passed to himself. Either the defender tipped it or it was a bad call.

no offense, but you don't know what you are talking about. Im doing my best to be nice here.

it was either the defender hit the ball or the refs made the wrong call.
You can try to be as nice as you want but you will still be in error about the play. Sorry but try to live with being wrong, because in basketball as with all sports if the official does not call something it is a legal play even when it technically may not be. In this case I think it was within the rules and it occurs all the time at all levels of basketball, if he had dribbled before the (pass) it would have been a double dribble, in this case sending the ball forward was in essence the first dribble.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom