silent G pass to himself | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

silent G pass to himself

I used to do that all the time in highschool in the exact same "steal at the top of the zone" scenario and never got whistled for it.

That means nothing. Just thought I'd share.

He didn't steal it. He caught a pass.

Same difference.

I was assuming you were talking about a 1 handed tip of a steal that you see often out of a 2-3.

In this case Gbinje clearly caught the ball with 2 hands and passed over the defenders head and took 5 or 6 steps before dribbling again.

I just want to make sure you're looking at the same play because randomly G had quite the highlight. The play before at 3:10 he stole a pass in the 2-3 and went in for a layup.

Not a travel. Potentially a double dribble, but that's debatable. From my perspective: he caught it with both hands, threw it up/forward with his right hand clearly touching after his left hand (all in the span of about .5 or 1 step), then continued about his bidness.

I don't think there is any argument it was a travel. It could only be a double dribble if he threw it up/forward with both hands, but I'm not sure he did; it looked like his left hand came off the ball first. The other factors at play are if he was even considered to have full control of the ball and whether or not the UConn player touched it.

Not a travel. Potentially a double dribble, but that's debatable. From my perspective: he caught it with both hands, threw it up/forward with his right hand clearly touching after his left hand (all in the span of about .5 or 1 step), then continued about his bidness.

I don't think there is any argument it was a travel. It could only be a double dribble if he threw it up/forward with both hands, but I'm not sure he did; it looked like his left hand came off the ball first. The other factors at play are if he was even considered to have full control of the ball and whether or not the UConn player touched it.

At the beginning of this thread I agreed with you but in my research, this play is called a travel.

At the beginning of this thread I agreed with you but in my research, this play is called a travel.

When a player first gets possession of the ball and then throws it forward with one hand, it is a dribble, not a pass. It would only clearly be considered a pass, and subsequent double dribble, if it was thrown with both hands (this isn't typically called though). The number of steps a player takes between throwing the ball forward and touching the ball again is inconsequential.

at 1:04 of this video is this the one your talking about.

1. The defender went for the steal and missed.
2. The defender got to close to Gbinije instead of trying to slow him down he tried to move into him. Gbinije made a quick move right around him.
A good defender trying to stop the transition would have slid latterly or away from the guy until he picked up his dribble, not stepped into the ball handler. When you step into the ballhandler you are in a trap defensive formation, and this guy didn't even have his hands up.
Play it in slow motion on youtube (click the little clock bottom right and set the speed to .25) you will see that gbinijes hands and the ball is over the defenders head and hands as he releases the ball for his first dribble.

Last edited:
It was your typical tip/throw the ball ahead of yourself in open court move. NBA players do it on a nightly basis. When a guy like LeBron or KD intercept a pass, they typically just slap or throw the ball ahead of themselves so they can use their footwork to beat the offensive player who just became a defender switching directions. Allows them to create their own fastbreak with full momentum instead of picking up the ball and dribbling. That's why other players usually don't make it back to half court by the time they dunk.

Sometimes they make it look sketchy though, like some weird lob pass dribble.

How was that not a turnover?

Big play and I'll take it but it was a travel or a double dribble of some sort.

Please..per jason williams he is now to be known as BiNAHjay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom