simple rating system has this year's team between 97-98 and 05-06 | Syracusefan.com

simple rating system has this year's team between 97-98 and 05-06

When you have 3 guys shooting 36 to 41% from 3 you can win a lot of games. The live and die by the 3 is an outdated saying from meathead basketball people in the 90's. Good shooters win you games.

The offense is wayyy better than the last two years with Battle and Howard pounding it every possession.

Girard’s heating up.

we’re suddenly a top 5 ACC team if things click for Quincy. Marek’s made great strides this year.
Being able to just toss the ball on the block to Marek, regardless of how skilled he is with a back to the basket game, has helped this offense flow better. Threes are much easier to come by and much more in rhythm when you’re working inside-out.

If the 2020 team had a good shooting night, I suppose they could give the 1992 team a game. If they repeated the brick-laying performance from a few of our games earlier in the year, it would be a long night.

Either way, I think Dave Johnson would put up 45 points and the '92 guys would pretty much score at will.

2001 is a different story. A decent penetrating guard like Allen Griffin could give this defense fits, but that team was pretty thin. Sidibe against Celuck would probably be a mismatch that favors the 2020 team.

When you have 3 guys shooting 36 to 41% from 3 you can win a lot of games. The live and die by the 3 is an outdated saying from meathead basketball people in the 90's. Good shooters win you games.

Agree with the first, obviously, which is why I think we're not through upsetting top-25 teams this year.

But good shooters also have 1-10 nights, and if you've got nothing else, that loses games as well. We'll also see a few more of those in the next couple weeks.

The offense is wayyy better than the last two years with Battle and Howard pounding it every possession.

Agree. Even with a really cold start, we ended up with 76 points. That start last year would have resulted in a point total in the 50s or low 60s at best.

Agree with the first, obviously, which is why I think we're not through upsetting top-25 teams this year.

But good shooters also have 1-10 nights, and if you've got nothing else, that loses games as well. We'll also see a few more of those in the next couple weeks.

Sure, but Eli and Buddy are going to have a lot less bad shooting nights than Cooney or Mali.

Sure, but Eli and Buddy are going to have a lot less bad shooting nights than Cooney or Mali.

And Buddy finally showed that he can, at least against a bad team that doesn't want to play defense, take a couple hard dribbles to the basket and make layups. Knew he could do it, hope he can start to mix this in against athletic teams. Either way, until about 4 weeks left in Cooney's career he couldn't compensate for an off shooting night with this type of scoring.

And Buddy finally showed that he can, at least against a bad team that doesn't want to play defense, take a couple hard dribbles to the basket and make layups. Knew he could do it, hope he can start to mix this in against athletic teams. Either way, until about 4 weeks left in Cooney's career he couldn't compensate for an off shooting night with this type of scoring.
I'm more worried about Buddy coming back next year being so jacked that he can't shoot anymore.

If the 2020 team had a good shooting night, I suppose they could give the 1992 team a game. If they repeated the brick-laying performance from a few of our games earlier in the year, it would be a long night.

Either way, I think Dave Johnson would put up 45 points and the '92 guys would pretty much score at will.

2001 is a different story. A decent penetrating guard like Allen Griffin could give this defense fits, but that team was pretty thin. Sidibe against Celuck would probably be a mismatch that favors the 2020 team.
Yeah. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that this year's team is rated against this year's competition. The competition in the past was more challenging.

Yeah. I think the important thing to keep in mind is that this year's team is rated against this year's competition. The competition in the past was more challenging.

If those teams played defense the same way now as they did back then Buddy might score 50. Tavern league zones and sagging man to man to pack the paint doesn’t work in this era. The shooting back then sucked.

If those teams played defense the same way now as they did back then Buddy might score 50. Tavern league zones and sagging man to man to pack the paint doesn’t work in this era. The shooting back then sucked.
But that's just adjustment of strategy. The athletes were there to do it.

The 1992 McRae vs. 2020 Sid would be a comical mismatch

The 1992 McRae vs. 2020 Sid would be a comical mismatch
I was wondering what a 1992 Mourning would do ro Sidibe in a Gtown matchup. Heck, what would Mourning do now?

can we just get a center who can catch passes and make layups? is that too much for a 7ft to learn?
though i do think if edwards can ever get stronger he has really good upside