Since we will be playing Colgate and Army | Syracusefan.com

Since we will be playing Colgate and Army

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Both of which I applaud, how would you feel about adding Cornell into the mix for the non-D I opener? They used to be a huge rival in the 1930s and 1940s, and were a great team at one time.

For some of us, we still remember Ed Marinaro almost winning the Heisman his senior year. I work with his blocking back from that team.

I would love to see Cornell v. Syracuse in football. I've enjoyed playing them in lacrosse (where we went head to head for SU's most recent championship). And those basketball games we had against them several years ago when they had that Whitman kid and the 7 footer were great. Didn't Cornell make the Sweet 16 that year, and then the coach, Donohue, ran off to BC to die.

Cornell - who's for it?

I think Ivy teams are out of the question for us.

I think Ivy teams are out of the question for us.

How different are they than Colgate? Is it that big a difference in quality of play?

Ivy League is a no go. No scholarships. Doesn't work.

As Czar points out, the no scholarships makes this unworkable. Cornell is also a bottom tier Ivy squad, they are in hardcore rebuild mode right now.

Sorry, but we're in the ACC. I would rather get to the point where we're battling for titles against Florida State and Clemson than renew Upstate New York rivalries from 70 years ago.

My point is, if we're playing Colgate and Army, well sure Army is Division 1, but they suck, and how much different would it be than play SUNY schools, or Villanova or Stony Brook or other non-division 1 schools in that one designated slot in the schedule. So I didn't realize that Cornell and the Ivys were Division 3 in football. My apologies.

My point is, if we're playing Colgate and Army, well sure Army is Division 1, but they suck, and how much different would it be than play SUNY schools, or Villanova or Stony Brook or other non-division 1 schools in that one designated slot in the schedule. So I didn't realize that Cornell and the Ivys were Division 3 in football. My apologies.

They're FCS, but not all FCS schools are the same.

They're FCS, but not all FCS schools are the same.
I think now that the Patriot League awards scholarships, the Ivy League schools are the only FCS programs that do not.

I think now that the Patriot League awards scholarships, the Ivy League schools are the only FCS programs that do not.

Well, get with the program and award the 63 FCS scholarships, guys - what are you, cheap? The endowment of several of those schools dwarfs the endowments of Duke ($7 Billion) and ND ($8 billion). Yes, I know Cornell's is only $6 billion but still. What is ironic about this is that those schools were dominant when CFB began and the Big 10 organized itself soon after to be a competitor, but then the strength of the game moved to the Southeast. Duke was once a major player in CFB in the 1930s and 1940s and Duke played in the 1942 Rose Bowl at Wallace Wade Stadium where the game was moved for fear of a Japanese attack.

donniesyracuse said:
They don't give "athletic" scholarships, but they give plenty of academic grants and scholarships that are available only to athletes. It's a nice loophole. The Patriot Conference did the same thing for decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom