Sitting out ACC Media Day | Syracusefan.com

Sitting out ACC Media Day

OttoMets

Living Legend
Why North Carolina, Duke aren't bringing players to ACC basketball media day

Good for them. Media requirements that these kids deal with are disgraceful (this is the only area in which I'm sympathetic to the rallying cry for student-athletes to be paid).

It's a shame that SU, as is so often the case, is following the pack rather than setting the pace on this issue. They never should have been forcing kids on a plane to Charlotte during the school week, but with the new rule on athletic hours, it should have been a very easy decision to keep them in Syracuse.

Why North Carolina, Duke aren't bringing players to ACC basketball media day

Good for them. Media requirements that these kids deal with are disgraceful (this is the only area in which I'm sympathetic to the rallying cry for student-athletes to be paid).

It's a shame that SU, as is so often the case, is following the pack rather than setting the pace on this issue. They never should have been forcing kids on a plane to Charlotte during the school week, but with the new rule on athletic hours, it should have been a very easy decision to keep them in Syracuse.

That said - the irony is that these players are in college to train for a career as a pro athlete. In that context, attending the media day is probably one of the most useful "class" or "lab" experiences they will have in college. Dealing with the media is a huge part of being successful in their chosen career.

That said - the irony is that these players are in college to train for a career as a pro athlete. In that context, attending the media day is probably one of the most useful "class" or "lab" experiences they will have in college. Dealing with the media is a huge part of being successful in their chosen career.

I can't disagree with any of that; thought about saying that they spend all this time for something without value, but quickly remembered that there actually is a lot of benefit to giving kids this kind of exposure.

Trouble is, it always comes at the expense of their day-to-day schedule. And it seems to be designed for the profit of others rather than for the good of the student experience.

For some maybe. For most no. Hate to be in Newhouse or an engineering school and leave for that

For some maybe. For most no. Hate to be in Newhouse or an engineering school and leave for that

I think you flipped "some" and "most." Most of the basketball players are not in demanding majors, and most of the ones who go to media day are planning on professional basketball careers. Even for players in demanding majors, missing a day of classes is not a catastrophe.

Not sure I understand. You'd hate to be in Newhouse and have to go to ACC Media Day?

Not everyone at Newhouse is in front of the camera and to Brookys comment, how many guys actually go pro? Most at media day? I don't know but I assume not. Moyer is in Newhouse. But yes, most are in less demanding curriculum. Guess it's a judgement call

Not everyone at Newhouse is in front of the camera
Not sure what that has to do with anything. I find your logic baffling. Kids go to Newhouse to study media. A trip to a major conference media day has value.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. I find your logic baffling. Kids go to Newhouse to study media. A trip to a major conference media day has value.

I would think that a kid in Newhouse might ask to go to ACC media day as an observer, even if not going as the program representative.

Understood

I would think that a kid in Newhouse might ask to go to ACC media day as an observer, even if not going as the program representative.
Newhouse was a bad example but I am referring to other demanding curriculums players may be undertaking. Some are actually scholar athletes and the demands of balancing school and basketball during the season are tough enough. They are there to play ball and with media day I guess they are used to promote the programs and sell tickets as unpaid players. Or is it for their amusement? If I was a player I would not be interested

Not everyone at Newhouse is in front of the camera and to Brookys comment, how many guys actually go pro? Most at media day? I don't know but I assume not. Moyer is in Newhouse. But yes, most are in less demanding curriculum. Guess it's a judgement call

The ACC puts a lot of players in the pros and coaches generally send their best players to media day. Maybe you're right that most of those sent don't make it to the pros, but I think most of the players sent have aspirations and a better than average chance of making it to the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom