Six Leading Research Universities Join the Association of American Universities | Syracusefan.com

Six Leading Research Universities Join the Association of American Universities

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
AAU announced today that @ASU, @GWtweets, @UCRiverside, @univmiami, @NotreDame, and @USouthFlorida have joined the association, bringing its membership to 71 total institutions.

What does this mean I wonder.

The Association of American Universities announced today that Arizona State University; the George Washington University; the University of California, Riverside; the University of Miami; the University of Notre Dame; and the University of South Florida have joined the association. The addition of these six leading research universities brings AAU’s membership total to 71 institutions – 69 American and two Canadian universities.

It means they spend a lot of Federal money on research.

or it means George Washington and Cal-Riverside to the Big Ten.

AAU announced today that @ASU, @GWtweets, @UCRiverside, @univmiami, @NotreDame, and @USouthFlorida have joined the association, bringing its membership to 71 total institutions.

That hurts Arizona to the B16. Although I don’t think either are highly ranked enough academically to get in anyway.

It helps Miami over FSU.

It means beers on me for the AAU alumni club. We can talk about the old days of life in the AAU and how we had this feather in the cap for realignment. Now, we have to live through others. Drink up.

It means Cuse has fallen and it’s very difficult to get back up

Is there a reason why we wouldn't want to be in the AAU?

Is there a reason why we wouldn't want to be in the AAU?
AAU changed their ranking requirements in 2011 and kicked out U of Nebraska in a contentious vote.

“It was very clear that the easiest path to scoring high on the criteria is to have large medical schools or large science and engineering faculties,” said Nancy Cantor, chancellor of Syracuse University, which was reviewed along with Nebraska and has decided to leave the AAU voluntarily in the coming months. Nebraska’s Ouster Opens a Painful Debate Within the AAU

SU is a Carnegie R-1 research institution. The Carnegie system doesn't lean as heavily on medical schools. Our research dollars are more weighted from private foundations than Federal $$.

So if Nebraska isn't in the AAU anymore, how are they still in the Big 10?

Let's just add them and get it over with.