Six SU opponents on ESPN's early 2017 Top 25 | Syracusefan.com

Six SU opponents on ESPN's early 2017 Top 25

Syracuse Football has played the following since 2013...

2013 National Champs - FSU
2014 Defending NC, #3 seed in the CFP - FSU
2015 NC Runner Up, #1 seed in the CFP - Clemson
2016 NC and #2 seed in the CFP - Clemson

2017 -- yay...

For as much talk as there is about scheduling better, there's only so much you can do when 5 out of your 8 conference games are against teams that are thought to be among the 25 best teams in the country.

I mean... you could not schedule teams like LSU
Scheduling another MAC team doesn't change the fact that 5 out of our 8 conference games are against teams that are thought of right now as 25 of the best in the country.

Scheduling another MAC team doesn't change the fact that 5 out of our 8 conference games are against teams that are thought of right now as 25 of the best in the country.
Baby steps.. I want to be bowl eligible and not get 3-4 starters injured playing some meaningless OOC against Top 10 teams, in which we have no business playing yet.

What if, when the schedule was made a few years ago, SU had scheduled a series with a weak MAC program instead, such as Western Michigan?
Schedule cupcakes. Legit, schedule like an SEC team. A team like South Florida shouldn't even be on our schedule. We're a program trying to build, playing in the toughest division in football and consistently playing one of the tougher OOC schedules in the country. If a cupcake turns into a Top 25 team for the year we play them, oh well. At least we're not scheduling Title Contenders and consistent bowl participants.

What if, when the schedule was made a few years ago, SU had scheduled a series with a weak MAC program instead, such as Western Michigan?

I'd rather play them than LSU or Wiscy, any year.

I hate to say it but NC State just might be in the top 25 at the end of the year. I was very impressed by their team last year. The coaching, not so much but that is a talented team.

I hate to say it but NC State just might be in the top 25 at the end of the year. I was very impressed by their team last year. The coaching, not so much but that is a talented team.

Agreed. As much as I hate saying it they might actually be trending up. Unlike BC and Wake.

I mean... you could not schedule teams like LSU

I understand it, yes, lsu amongst our in conference challenges is rough, but the home/home was a once in a lifetime program opportunity.

I understand it, yes, lsu amongst our in conference challenges is rough, but the home/home was a once in a lifetime program opportunity.

opportunity to get swept in a home and home? We have had that opportunity many times and cashed in just about all of them!

obviously we can't control the in-conference schedule, that schedule is pretty rough to say the least. Which is why you don't schedule LSU, that we CAN control.

opportunity to get swept in a home and home? We have had that opportunity many times and cashed in just about all of them!

These arrangements are done 4-7 years in advance. They are done with positive thinking and trends. Imagine if we still had dougie with hacket and shaf as dcs? We were trending big. Alot of change since then. Its still a great series. A trip i will make to lsu. Could have also been minny, nw, indiana, or another mid level b10 or sec team. All of which would have been very loseable (word?). This is a great experience. Again, without our scheduling of sig programs over the past 8 years, i would have been gone as a season tix holder. No big loss, i get it;)

The ACC right now is as strong as any conference and our division is probably the toughest in the nation. Because of it you schedule out of conference for wins.

Alabama usually has one good out of conference game this year it was USC, then they scheduled Western Kentucky, Kent State and Chattanooga.

Our out of conference schedule should look something like Colgate, Buffalo, Army, UMass and Connecticut or Rutgers/Northwestern/Illinois.

Schedule regionally for wins, save on travel costs, and when you travel go to places where you recruit.

Last edited:
I look at that list and I see 6 wins.

We beat a top 25 team this year.

Next year we'll beat 2 or 3.

Cuse had a hole...and was down to USF or UCF. USF had a losing record with a coach on the hot seat. UCF was coming off a BCS Bowl game. USF seemed like the better choice.

Of course SU shouldn't be filling holes a year or two out with extremely limited choices like they usually do.

Timing is everything...

It's too bad we couldn't trade 2018 for 2017. We'll go to Pitt again this year, but UNC comes to the Dome. Looks like UNC will take a big step back given the QB situation.

Of course, Miami will only get better under Richt. So maybe the best hope is to get them in their first season without Kaaya.

Sorta related for us old people. I kinda remember thinking how we had a shot in 1999 since we just beat them by 100 in 1998 and they were using a true freshman QB (Ken Dorsey). Didn't work out so well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom