Size Matters | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Size Matters

How do I know ... because Rak had plenty of opportunities last year to show us how good he was a blocking shots off the ball (although he played mostly C when Fab was out) ... and the results were disappointing. I'm not saying he won't explode this year... we're all waiting for the light to come on. He has the tools, good leaper, great length, big hands, good timing ... let's see if you're right.

And DC2 ... yes, the beef has arrived. But asking a guy almost 290 pounds to play over the rim is ... well, a tall order. It remains to be seen if he and Rak can defend, and score, at the rim.

Rak blocked more shots in his freshman year than Fab did as a freshman. Did you think Fab was an elite shot blocker as a freshman? Fab made a big leap last year. Rak may do the same. And I don't think Rak disappointed at all last year as a shot-blocker. He had 11 games with at least 2 blocked shots last season.

Keita is a pretty good shot blocker as well. Coleman may not block a shot all year, but he'll rebound well and score.

I like our talent, McDAA's all over the court. Really long in the back court. Improved bulk and rebounding inside. We're very deep at the forward position -- JS coming off the bench brings excellent size and outside firepower. But there are some issues. I won't even get into what we lost (our 4 most important players and 2/3 of our offense). But in addition ... we don't have an elite shot blocker; we lack backcourt experience (2 of our 3 guards are green), along with elite depth there; and it remains to be seen if we can defend and score at the rim.

I think O-Fog may be right .. but if so, he'll be right in late February or March. There's going to be some ugliness that we havn't seen in a while.

Again, Rak may be that elite shot-blocker Fab turned out to be and I'll take talent over experience any day (see UK). What is "elite depth" and what other teams have that?

If we have a guy who plays like Lenzelle Smith in the Elite Eight, I'll sign up for that today.
Yah, I agree. I was like, 'where did this $**%$( guy come from'.

Again, Rak may be that elite shot-blocker Fab turned out to be and I'll take talent over experience any day (see UK). What is "elite depth" and what other teams have that?
That would be DW.

Yah, I agree. I was like, 'where did this $**%$( guy come from'.

Amen to that - uggh the very thought of that game and the refs... between that debacle the lack of success beyond the sw16 and the marquette incident, I think the devil's hold should be weakened so we can break through this year. But yeah smith - was en fuego out of nowhere.

How many teams have a Dion Waiters coming off the bench? I don't see a kid like that at Kansas, Kentucky or Ohio State.

Not many, but I'm making a (somewhat unfair) comparison to last year's team because that team WAS a legit. top 5 team. I admit that it's not realistic to judge this year's team against a 2011-12 squad that (for a while) was a title-contender and put up an unbelievable regular season record (what were they, 30-1? wow).

That said, some posters on this board, and even some analysts, have anointed this team based on potential alone, without considering all that could go wrong. I'm trying to be realistic. Rak could release his physical gifts and become the eraser/rim-rocker we all know he can be. But he might not. DC2 could be ready from day 1 -- he's got a mid-range game, a low post game, he can handle for a big, and at 288, he might be immovable on the low block .. hell he can even shoot 3-s. But he's also a freshman coming into a league stacked with 7 footers. Will he be able to get his offensive game going against taller players, on a bigger stage?

I'm just trying to say ... we all need to take a breath and let this team go through some growing pains before we really see what we have.

How many teams have a Dion Waiters coming off the bench? I don't see a kid like that at Kansas, Kentucky or Ohio State.

Not many, but I'm making a (somewhat unfair) comparison to last year's team because that team WAS a legit. top 5 team. I admit that it's not realistic to judge this year's team against a 2011-12 squad that (for a while) was a title-contender and put up an unbelievable regular season record (what were they, 30-1? wow).

That said, some posters on this board, and even some analysts, have anointed this team based on potential alone, without considering all that could go wrong. I'm trying to be realistic. Rak could release his physical gifts and become the eraser/rim-rocker we all know he can be. But he might not. DC2 could be ready from day 1 -- he's got a mid-range game, a low post game, he can handle for a big, and at 288, he might be immovable on the low block .. hell he can even shoot 3-s. But he's also a freshman coming into a league stacked with 7 footers. Will he be able to get his offensive game going against taller players, on a bigger stage?

I'm just trying to say ... we all need to take a breath and let this team go through some growing pains before we really see what we have.

We lost a lot, but so did everyone else,except Indiana and UL. It's going to be a different team. Maybe even better than last year. We certainly have a ton of talent, deep bench, and all the ingredients to be a national title contender. I'm not buying the no shot blocker thing, or the elite bench thing. We have some young guys, but we also have a lot of experience. We have a ton of potential.

How do you know we lack an elite shot-blocker? Also, we'll probably be a better rebounding team with Coleman/Xmas than we were with Fab/Joseph

I think we certainly have the potential to be Top 5, especially if Xmas and MCW break out.

You're right. Christmas was the top shot blocker in his class. And Keita isn't too bad either. He was more effective on Sullinger last year than Rak was.

You're right. Christmas was the top shot blocker in his class. And Keita isn't too bad either. He was more effective on Sullinger last year than Rak was.

Keita played great in that OSU game, no doubt. (I'm surprised you're posting in my thread lol).

Keita played great in that OSU game, no doubt. (I'm surprised you're posting in my thread lol).

To me, the hoops board and the cesspool are 2 different neighborhoods, and what happens on the other board stays on the other board.