Skill Duplication... | Syracusefan.com

Skill Duplication...

newmexicuse

All Conference
Our three best players are clearly Oshae, Ty, and Elijah.

All three have very overlapping skillsets. Ty drives the best and has the best two point J, Oshae rebounds the best, and Elijah shoots the three the best. But, overall there is a lot of kill duplication and relatively little in skills complementing each other.

Frank is a legit, but not high level, PG. However, even his skills to some extent overlap the other three. He doesn't have the ability to really run the floor, he doesn't often go hard to the glass, and he doesn't have the ability to consistently penetrate and set somebody else up. So his net effect is that he gets a few assists, makes a couple of treys, and gets a few points on drive, but, really, nothing that brings a different dynamic to the floor. Worst yet, we have no legit backup PG for when Frank is off.

Chuk has his moments, but unfortunately, far too few, so his "skillset" rarely impacts games.

Buddy does bring a different dimension, and he has had solid progress, but he is still a frosh that has a ways to go.

So, all in all, we just really don't have anybody who can come on the court and change our style.

Last edited:
As Jimmy Dykes likes to say "you need a couple dudes". We have nice role players that occasionally can have 'dude' like performances. I'll now ban myself for quoting Jimmy dykes...

Our three best players are clearly Oshae, Ty, and Elijah.

All three have very overlapping skillsets. Ty drives the best and has the best two point J, Oshae rebounds the best, and Elijah shoots the three the best. But, overall there is a lot of kill duplication and relatively little in skills complementing each other.

Frank is a legit, but not high level, PG. However, even his skills to some extent overlap the other three. He doesn't have the ability to really run the floor, he doesn't often go hard to the glass, and he doesn't have the ability to consistently penetrate and set somebody else up. So his net effect is that he gets a few assists, makes a couple of treys, and gets a few points on drive, but, really, nothing that brings a different dynamic to the floor. Worst yet, we have no legit backup PG for when Frank is off.

Chuk has his moments, but unfortunately, far too few, so his "skillset" rarely impacts games.

Buddy does bring a different dimension, and he has had solid progress, but he is still a frosh that has a ways to go.

So, all in all, we just really don't have anybody who can come on the court and change our style.
I thought basketball nirvana is poniitonless basketball which skill duplication should facilitate?

Just kidding... Frank's regression to a d2 point guard has really screwed up this team because the only other player who can facilitate the offense is Marek who also happens to be as stretch four who can't stretch because his shooting range is suspect.

This team is just a testament to our program's total utter and lack of any offensive identity:
- Can't play inside out because we don't have an inside presence at all
- Can't run the dribble-drive because no one can dribble drive consistently
- Can't play pace and space because we don't have any knockdown shooters outside of Buddy and Hughes who are very very streaky
- Can't play pick and roll because the D just ignores the screener
- Can't run and gun because I've never seen a set of players so bad on the break as this squad

We have two offensive strategies: give the ball to Battle and pray or give the ball to Marek at the FT line and let him facilitate... that's it. If Carey hadn't regressed so much he would have helped by adding dribble drive or run and gun but that's hasn't played out. This is the ultimate conclusion to a decade plus of recruiting for the zone... a bunch of long 6-5 to 6-9 dudes with major gaps in their skillsets which has sunk our offense.

As Jimmy Dykes likes to say "you need a couple dudes". We have nice role players that occasionally can have 'dude' like performances. I'll now ban myself for quoting Jimmy dykes...

I'm assuming you put Battle in the "dude" category given he's generally the best player on the court in every game he plays save for a few, and always in the top 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom