Skippy out at USF | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Skippy out at USF

Ron Zook, come on down...

Papa lou made his feelings clear that Syracuse wasn't good enough for skippy and persuaded him heavily to look for a more "big time " program with a higher ceiling. Ooooops!

Are you referring to Gross? If so, that's a pretty silly statement. Edsall was pursued by 3 or 4 BCS programs. Holtz was very successful at UCONN and then did a remarkable job at ECU. USF's infrastructure is such a mess that I don't think anyone is going to be truly successful there. So it's not really silly that those two were strong candidates for the job.

Oh, and besides that he has made all of our other athletic programs relevant, as shown by our steady climb up the Sears Cup standings every year. Women's lax, women's field hockey, men's soccer, women's hoops, tennis, and cross country are some of the best programs out there right now.

And then there's that little conference switch to the ACC.
Gross values the Sears Cup a wee bit higher than I do.

Hiring washed up tools to coach tennis at big $ isn't worth it

BJ Daniels = coach killer

Holtz will regroup and succeed somewhere else.

so much of coaching is luck. he was lucky to be named holtz to even get the opportunity in the first place but then he was unlucky to get stuck with Daniels.

he would've gotten crushed in the media for jettisoning daniels from the start but in retrospect that's what he should've done.
I agree with this statement completely. Everyone here talks about what hardworker/good guy B.J. is,but his skill set never fit what Skip was about. Team actually played better when Eveld was playing last year... only exception was BJ vs. SU

I agree with this statement completely. Everyone here talks about what hardworker/good guy B.J. is,but his skill set never fit what Skip was about. Team actually played better when Eveld was playing last year... only exception was BJ vs. SU
his conference qb rating 101 this year , 114 last year, and 110 2 years ago

that is just brutally bad and i don't think anyone would've ever expected that after his first year.

what a collapse after that loss to us. i haven't paid a lick of attention to them but they scored more against us than they did their last 4 games. not a single passing td in those games.

Sometimes the worst thing you can have is a 3 or 4 year starting qb that never improves. Recruits don't go there because they know who will be starting and it's hard to replace the guy because he's been loyal. It's a hard call by the HC and it helped cost Holtz his job.

Actually didn't Skippy turn us down? Either way, thank the lucky stars.

Yes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sometimes the worst thing you can have is a 3 or 4 year starting qb that never improves. Recruits don't go there because they know who will be starting and it's hard to replace the guy because he's been loyal. It's a hard call by the HC and it helped cost Holtz his job.
i'm so pleased to be wrong thinking that was us

his conference qb rating 101 this year , 114 last year, and 110 2 years ago

that is just brutally bad and i don't think anyone would've ever expected that after his first year.

what a collapse after that loss to us. i haven't paid a lick of attention to them but they scored more against us than they did their last 4 games. not a single passing td in those games.

Not that I disagree with your overall point about Daniels, but he got hurt in the game after ours (which was their only Big East win, how bad does UConn feel). That happened in the 4th quarter. He never played another snap on the season.

Not that I disagree with your overall point about Daniels, but he got hurt in the game after ours (which was their only Big East win, how bad does UConn feel). That happened in the 4th quarter. He never played another snap on the season.
ha , i wasn't kidding when i said i paid no attention

matt floyd makes daniels look like manning

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/651/1041368/index.html

Are you referring to Gross? If so, that's a pretty silly statement. Edsall was pursued by 3 or 4 BCS programs. Holtz was very successful at UCONN and then did a remarkable job at ECU. USF's infrastructure is such a mess that I don't think anyone is going to be truly successful there. So it's not really silly that those two were strong candidates for the job.

Oh, and besides that he has made all of our other athletic programs relevant, as shown by our steady climb up the Sears Cup standings every year. Women's lax, women's field hockey, men's soccer, women's hoops, tennis, and cross country are some of the best programs out there right now.

And then there's that little conference switch to the ACC.

He has made these obvious improvements, sure. No doubt. Post really wasn't about the HC decision. In any event, people much less qualified than him could have accomplished these long needed things. Poll members of the board of trustees and folks in the AD about their true feelings regarding Mr. Gross, including with respect to the delays in football facility upgrades, and get back to me.

You guys are nuts. I didn't want holtz, but just because he failed at USF doesn't mean he'd fail here. USF is a sucky job. It's where coaches go to die.

You guys are nuts. I didn't want holtz, but just because he failed at USF doesn't mean he'd fail here. USF is a sucky job. It's where coaches go to die.
they've had two coaches, one who built the program, had it consistently play at a fairly high level, and got bounced for being a wack job, and another who actually failed.

that's the list.

they've had two coaches, one who built the program, had it consistently play at a fairly high level, and got bounced for being a wack job, and another who actually failed.

that's the list.

Sounds like a virtual graveryard too me.. Geeze.

Sounds like a virtual graveryard too me.. Geeze.
Agreed.*

No coach has ever left there on his own terms.

* yes, we realize that the sample size is very small

He has made these obvious improvements, sure. No doubt. Post really wasn't about the HC decision. In any event, people much less qualified than him could have accomplished these long needed things. Poll members of the board of trustees and folks in the AD about their true feelings regarding Mr. Gross, including with respect to the delays in football facility upgrades, and get back to me.
Enlighten us. You seem to have inside info. Besides, polling the Board of Trustees and folks in the AD just seems so, I don't know, unwieldy.

they're 81 and 52 since join D1 in 2001. 8-5 is our high water mark in the same timeframe.

they're 81 and 52 since join D1 in 2001. 8-5 is our high water mark in the same timeframe.

Yeah, there's really no data to say it's a good job. People just thought it was a good job because it's in Florida. Didn't Leavitt acquire talent by finding kids who couldn't qualify elsewhere? That lifestyle isn't for everyone.

You have to find a coach who's a good fit. Luckily, that's who we picked. This doesn't mean Holtz can't coach.