Skunk in the Outfield | Syracusefan.com

Skunk in the Outfield

He could be the Mets mascot he probably stinks as bad as they do.

interesting because the runner should have been out once they attacked him and he created a new baseline. he change direction like 3 times.

interesting because the runner should have been out once they attacked him and he created a new baseline. he change direction like 3 times.

Watched it again...he never changed the line from him to the base...he did go back forth on that line, but once he established it, it didn't appear he ever moved out of that line...

Watched it again...he never changed the line from him to the base...he did go back forth on that line, but once he established it, it didn't appear he ever moved out of that line...
perhaps.. when i viewed it it looked more like he went 10 ft or so left and right and not directly at the bases. rules are a little vague though as to how engaged the player with the ball has to be to keep the line intact. does looking at another runner reestablish the line? I get conflicting answers from umps, but then most umps i know dont really know the rules all that well.

you could also argue that running out that wide is almost the same as abandoning the base which would make him out.

In the rulebook, the baseline is not -- contrary to what most people think -- the line between two bases. Rather, it's a straight line between wherever the runner is and the base he's going for when a tag is attempted. As the MLB rulebook puts it:

A runner is out when: (1) He runs more than three feet away from his base path to avoid being tagged ... A runner's base path is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely.

If no defender is attempting to tag the runner, there is no baseline, and the runner can go anywhere he wants. He can walk into right field if he wants.

We have some skunks in our neighborhood so that stinks. Got to keep the dog on a short lease at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom