SLC Roll Call | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SLC Roll Call

If I wasn't headed to Spring Training in Arizona this week I would be there...good luck and have fun to all going!
10 hour drive...If you are in AZ though we have our game watch at Half Moon Windy City 2121 E. Highland Phoenix, It is near the Biltmore shopping v=center. . Send me a pm if your are coming to our game watch. Linda

I have one of our AZ alum who will be up there skiing. Tickets were sold out when they went on sale to non Orange Club members. So he was not able to get any in our group. If anyone has extras or need to change plans, can you let me know? Waiting to see how many he needs.

10 hour drive...If you are in AZ though we have our game watch at Half Moon Windy City 2121 E. Highland Phoenix, It is near the Biltmore shopping v=center. . Send me a pm if your are coming to our game watch. Linda

I looked at Southwest flights but I think Ill stay in the desert, I sent you a PM for the watch party...

I have one of our AZ alum who will be up there skiing. Tickets were sold out when they went on sale to non Orange Club members. So he was not able to get any in our group. If anyone has extras or need to change plans, can you let me know? Waiting to see how many he needs.
We just need one ticket for him. He is one of our involved alumni in AZ...I'd like to get him seated with our group...

Girlfriend and I will be down in Orlando for the games, so no SLC for us. But, it will be nice to watch a game at an outdoor bar!

Hope all of you going have a great time. Bring back two wins! I’ll be at the games in Columbus.

Appreciate recommendations for good food, drink and any must do sightseeing... it will be our first trip to SLC as we weren’t able to make it last time Syracuse was placed there.
Hoping for a much better showing this time! Go Orange

Appreciate recommendations for good food, drink and any must do sightseeing... it will be our first trip to SLC as we weren’t able to make it last time Syracuse was placed there.
Hoping for a much better showing this time! Go Orange

In downtown, the must see is Temple Square. It’s worth every second. The front desk at your hotel can get you there.

If you are renting a car, go to Antelope Island and see the buffalo and the Great Salt Lake. Park City is about 25 minutes from SLC too. It’s a nice place to see.

For drink, Beehive and Beer Bar are my favorite bars. For breweries, Epic and Proper are my favorites. For food, everyone raves about Red Iguana and their mole. The best Italian is Cafe Molise. I think the best Mexican is Alamexo. Taqueria 27 is great too...and it’s right next to the Beer Bar...For any Vegans, try Zest and tell Kasey that Daryl sent you (that’s mrs SaltLakeOrange).

This is a start!

In downtown, the must see is Temple Square. It’s worth every second. The front desk at your hotel can get you there.

If you are renting a car, go to Antelope Island and see the buffalo and the Great Salt Lake. Park City is about 25 minutes from SLC too. It’s a nice place to see.

For drink, Beehive and Beer Bar are my favorite bars. For breweries, Epic and Proper are my favorites. For food, everyone raves about Red Iguana and their mole. The best Italian is Cafe Molise. I think the best Mexican is Alamexo. Taqueria 27 is great too...and it’s right next to the Beer Bar...For any Vegans, try Zest and tell Kasey that Daryl sent you (that’s mrs SaltLakeOrange).

This is a start!
Thanks!

In typical lousy timing that I seem to have, I'm leaving Salt Lake Thursday morning to fly to the east coast for plans made moths ago. I am going to try and catch the open practice on Wednesday though if I can. I'm just glad the game isn't happening while I'm in the air.

Can't make Baylor. Taking my son from Lake Havasu to Vegas Friday for a flight home. And if Cuse wins will just keep on motoring. Anaheim will be easier. LGO

I can vouch for llandz and her group. They were good people and a fun atmosphere when I visited incognito(as I tend to do when making the increasingly rare public appearance). The waitresses did seem a bit slow, but where else can you get Old Style while visiting AZ? It kind of gave me Flashbacks to the set of TV's Shameless. I seem to recall some sort of theme for the artwork...I think chicks dressed as refs or something of that nature. Anyhow, I vouch for the place, although I'm not sure it will be what some of those who want to appear "high roller"(as exhibited in this thread) would be into. It's a place where you go to have fun, not look like a scenester(although it's definitely not nearly a dive bar, which I think deserves endangered species protection!...and my patronage if I can find one!).

Last edited:
I logged on here specifically looking for a thread like this. My inspiration, OttoInGrotto, did not fail me! May as well live each remaining day to the fullest, which reminds me that I dont think I've even posted on .com which I think is the board of the OP and other legendary members of this board who helped make my stay here possible and enjoyable...it's good to acknowledge those in your life to whom you are grateful to, before it is too late...even those whom you have had differences with).

However, in real life, I am like I am on here: different. I want the OPPOSITE of these high roller recommendations. I have worked hard to stay authentic...true to my roots(btw, I'm not knocking those who have high roller roots, you cant help how you were born! Dont let others look down on you for it!).

So is anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me where non-tourists/non-scenesters go to enjoy cheap drinks and a relaxed, non-hipster/non-highroller(in simple terms, non-pretentious) atmosphere? I'm guessing this might be a bit more difficult than what has been requested so far, but I have faith that there may be some lurkers willing to help an authentic guy, looking for an authentic place.

Ive been through Utah on numerous occasions on the way to Vegas and SoCal, but have never swung north to check out SLC. I'm thinking this might give me an excuse to do so...albeit I wish it were warmer so there would be a greater likelihood of me seeing if I'd float like it was the Dead Sea(tm) or some s***.

Thanks to OIG for the most relevant thread on this thing, odd to see it sunk so low down the frontpage before my reply.

Last edited:
I logged on here specifically looking for a thread like this. My inspiration, OttoInGrotto, did not fail me! May as well live each remaining day to the fullest, which reminds me that I dont think I've even posted on .com which I think is the board of the OP and other legendary members of this board who helped make my stay here possible and enjoyable...it's good to acknowledge those in your life to whom you are grateful to, before it is too late...even those whom you have had differences with).

However, in real life, I am like I am on here: different. I want the OPPOSITE of these high roller recommendations. I have worked hard to stay authentic...true to my roots(btw, I'm not knocking those who have high roller roots, you cant help how you were born! Dont let others look down on you for it!).

So is anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me where non-tourists/non-scenesters go to enjoy cheap drinks and a relaxed, non-hipster/non-highroller(in simple terms, non-pretentious) atmosphere? I'm guessing this might be a bit more difficult than what has been requested so far, but I have faith that there may be some lurkers willing to help an authentic guy, looking for an authentic place.

Ive been through Utah on numerous occasions on the way to Vegas and SoCal, but have never swung north to check out SLC. I'm thinking this might give me an excuse to do so...albeit I wish it were warmer so there would be a greater likelihood of me seeing if I'd float like it was the Dead Sea(tm) or some s***.

Thanks to OIG for the most relevant thread on this thing, odd to see it sunk so low.

So, the two bars I mentioned, Beer Bar and Beehive are definitely local favorites. They offer a GREAT selection of all kinds of beers. And they are both really, really fun!

BeerHive is at 128 South Main Street (15 minutes from Vivant). If you want more of a dive bar feel (sort of like the the old Generic Bar from my days on the Hill), I'd suggest Murphys which is just down the block from BeerHive.

Beer Bar is at 161 E 200 S. It has a beer garden feel, long picnic tables. Great food too. It's 20 minutes from Vivant.

If you want a place closer to Vivant (fun but not as cool as the above mentioned taverns), try Bout Time which is located at the Gateway Mall.

The SU tailgate is at Squatters. It's located at 141 W Broadway. As far as breweries go, its very average but it is close to Vivant. About a block away is Red Rock Brewery which I highly recommend. Great bar.

My favorite two breweries are EPIC located at 825 S State Street and Proper located at 857 Main St. These are a short uber from downtown. Both have tasting rooms and are an absolute BLAST. A perfect place for Friday between games!!!

Have fun and we'll see you around!

Last edited:
So, the two bars I mentioned, Beer Bar and Beehive are definitely local favorites. They offer a GREAT selection of all kinds of beers. And they are both really, really fun!

BeerHive is at 128 South Main Street (15 minutes from Vivant). If you want more of a dive bar feel (sort of like the the old Generic Bar from my days on the Hill), I'd suggest Murphys which is just down the block from BeerHive.

Beer Bar is at 161 E 200 S. It has a beer garden feel, long picnic tables. Great food too. It's 20 minutes from Vivant.

If you want a place closer to Vivant (fun but not as cool as the above mentioned taverns), try Bout Time which is located at the Gateway Mall.

The SU tailgate is at Squatters. It's located at 141 W Broadway. As far as breweries go, its very average but it is close to Vivant. About a block away is Red Rock Brewery which I highly recommend. Great bar.

My favorite two breweries are EPIC located at 825 S State Street and Proper located at 857 Main St. These are a short uber from downtown. Both have tasting rooms and are an absolute BLAST. A perfect place for Friday between games!!!

Have fun and we'll see you around!

Thanks!!! You may be my new(temporary, at least) favorite poster on here! Be careful, that may endanger you with a certain subset! ;) Seriously, I am looking for the exact opposite of pretense that you can find, because that is what feels authentic to me. My team is downtrodden, why should I look for anything different? I may poke my head in Squatters(because the name reminds me of what I do when camping), to put my finger into the wind as to what some of you are like in real life(or if there are more normal/decent SU fans IRL than on here!), but Murphys sounds the coolest from your description, and not just because I am racist against rich people! ;)

Mind you, I can get beer anywhere, I'm just looking for a cool atmosphere, devoid of the pretense that even is noticed on here. I want to walk in somewhere and feel like a common man, and of course, want that to be where common men are accepted also(lol?). But I mean common in the sense of lacking prestige, not common in the sense of those you can note on here who seek it(prestige).

As much as I'd like to be among the other SU squatters(I do like camping and am seriously considering trying to get on TV's "Alone"), I almost always enjoy whatever place has the least pretense possible, as long as it is not ghetto.

Last edited:
Thanks!!! You may be my new(temporary, at least) favorite poster on here! Be careful, that may endanger you with a certain subset! ;) Seriously, I am looking for the exact opposite of pretense that you can find, because that is what feels authentic to me. My team is downtrodden, why should I look for anything different? I may poke my head in Squatters(because the name reminds me of what I do when camping), to put my finger into the wind as to what some of you are like in real life(or if there are more normal/decent SU fans IRL than on here!), but Murphys sounds the coolest from your description, and not just because I am racist against rich people! ;)

Mind you, I can get beer anywhere, I'm just looking for a cool atmosphere, devoid of the pretense that even is noticed on here. I want to walk in somewhere and feel like a common man, and of course, want that to be where common men are accepted also(lol?). But I mean common in the sense of lacking prestige, not common in the sense of those you can note on here who seek it(prestige).

As much as I'd like to be among the other SU squatters(I do like camping and am seriously considering trying to get on TV's "Alone"), I almost always enjoy whatever place has the least pretense possible, as long as it is not ghetto.

All the places I mentioned are completely devoid of pretense. All are very laid back and fun! You’re going to enjoy yourself here. We moved 2 years ago from NOVA (hence my old tag, FairfaxOrange) and just love it.

We’ll be downtown today for the open practice at four then will probably head over to Beerhive or Murphy’s.

PM me and I’ll send my cell...maybe we can all meet up for a beer :). I’ll be the one with the orange and blue high tops.

I can vouch for llandz and her group. They were good people and a fun atmosphere when I visited incognito(as I tend to do when making the increasingly rare public appearance). The waitresses did seem a bit slow, but where else can you get Old Style while visiting AZ? It kind of gave me Flashbacks to the set of TV's Shameless. I seem to recall some sort of theme for the artwork...I think chicks dressed as refs or something of that nature. Anyhow, I vouch for the place, although I'm not sure it will be what some of those who want to appear "high roller"(as exhibited in this thread) would be into. It's a place where you go to have fun, not look like a scenester(although it's definitely not nearly a dive bar, which I think deserves endangered species protection!...and my patronage if I can find one!).
Wait you’re a real person?!? Linda pls confirm.

Thanks to OIG for the most relevant thread on this thing, odd to see it sunk so low down the frontpage before my reply.
If you want to see a movie at a pub, Brewvies is a classy little joint you'd probably enjoy.;)

Also, just FYI isn't my site. I think I have a handle over there but I haven't posted in a long time.

What's the ghetto in SLC? The guys only have two wives?