Sleigh-ride | Syracusefan.com

Sleigh-ride

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
Of all of the horrible calls in the game, that 5th foul on McC takes the cake. Goes straight up and takes a Christmas sleighride 10ft in the air. Almost should have been a flagrant 1 on Nova and somehow is on Chris. Just awful.

Of all of the horrible calls in the game, that 5th foul on McC takes the cake. Goes straight up and takes a Christmas sleighride 10ft in the air. Almost should have been a flagrant 1 on Nova and somehow is on Chris. Just awful.

They followed that masterful call up by ignoring the over the back on Roberson on the other end.

One guy going over his back, the other pushing through him from his left not even making a play on the ball. Did the refs think the kids legs just snapped and he fell down of his own accord?

Every time I thought they couldn't get worse - they got worse. I guess that's something to be impressed by.

Boeheim would've been justified going absolutely crazy on that one. I can't believe he didn't. I thought that over the back in the L Tech game was one of the worst calls I've ever seen, but this one topped it by a lot.

The Villanova guy never saw who was behind him, had his eyes on the ball. McCullough jumped on his back. The Villanova kid pushed back to box out for postion to get the ball. He didn't know Chris was totally off his feet, probably just felt weight. Villanova kid lost his balance cause of the total body weight of Chris on him. I thought it was an over the back on Chris the whole way.

The Villanova guy never saw who was behind him, had his eyes on the ball. McCullough jumped on his back. The Villanova kid pushed back to box out for postion to get the ball. He didn't know Chris was totally off his feet, probably just felt weight. Villanova kid lost his balance cause of the total body weight of Chris on him. I thought it was an over the back on Chris the whole way.
Watch the video above. Chris goes up for the rebound and the Nova kid backs into him and takes him for a ride.

I did..you are taught to box out and get position. He didn't know Chris was completely off his feet. He lost his balance cause of Chris's total weight on him and that's when he fell back with Chris on him. To me it seems like an obvious over the back call. If players and teams were reversed would you think it wasn't an over the back call on Villanova?

I did..you are taught to box out and get position. He didn't know Chris was completely off his feet. He lost his balance cause of Chris's total weight on him and that's when he fell back with Chris on him. To me it seems like an obvious over the back call. If players and teams were reversed would you think it wasn't an over the back call on Villanova?
Chris went up for the ball. The Nova guy was moving backwards. I'm not saying it was intentional, but McC didn't jump over his back, IMO. And yes, I would think the same if the teams were reversed.

Chris went up for the ball. The Nova guy was moving backwards. I'm not saying it was intentional, but McC didn't jump over his back, IMO. And yes, I would think the same if the teams were reversed.
Ok fair enough... What would be the foul on the nova player there then... Accidental undercutting?

Ok fair enough... What would be the foul on the nova player there then... Accidental undercutting?
Undercutting. Intentionality has nothing to do with it. Its the same as a guy who slips and trips a guy. Just because he accidentally slipped, doesn't mean it isn't a foul.

Looking at it again, it didn't look intentional. I don't think that matters for flagrant fouls though.

Undercutting. Intentionality has nothing to do with it. Its the same as a guy who slips and trips a guy. Just because he accidentally slipped, doesn't mean it isn't a foul.
The Villanova displaced him on the box out which you technically can't do I beleive. Refs will never call that tho. I didn't think the call was as bad as some others. I didn't rally think the over the back call was a terrible one

The accidental undercut was meant to be a joke

Speaking of which, they called CM for traveling when Hart fell into him. One of many painful calls.

Eh. The Nova player never made a move for the ball. Never jumped. Chris reached over him and got the ball, and that's when the Nova player back into him and undercut in.

If that's allowed then I would start a team of midgets to run around and undercut players.

You have to allow the bigger player the ability to reach over the smaller player, that's kind of what basketballs all about.

The Villanova displaced him on the box out which you technically can't do I beleive. Refs will never call that tho. I didn't think the call was as bad as some others. I didn't rally think the over the back call was a terrible one
I thought it was a pretty bad call and made worse by the fact that they reviewed to see if Chris committed a flagrant. Clearly, that wasn't the most important bad call of the game, but I like the fact that a thread entitled "sleigh-ride" stays towards the top of the forum with Christmas coming up. :)

I was completely astounded by that one. I was left absolutely, positively speechless. I looked at a replay on another thread (which was strangely removed) and I have no explanation.

I was completely astounded by that one. I was left absolutely, positively speechless. I looked at a replay on another thread (which was strangely removed) and I have no explanation.
I posted a replay link above in this thread.

I posted a replay link above in this thread.

Gotcha, that's the one. Maybe Jarhead deleted his own thread with that clip after he saw it was a duplication?

Someone has to set that gif to a Christmassy song. Ive never seen anything like that. Reverse stage dive.

Eh. The Nova player never made a move for the ball. Never jumped. Chris reached over him and got the ball, and that's when the Nova player back into him and undercut in.

If that's allowed then I would start a team of midgets to run around and undercut players.

You have to allow the bigger player the ability to reach over the smaller player, that's kind of what basketballs all about.

And its not like Villanova didn't undercut our players earlier in the game without getting away with it. One one long rebound, Tyler Roberson chased the ball down, but had Pinkston dive into his legs and take Roberson down--only to have the foul go against Roberson.

I mean--What.

Of all the things that struck me about that play was the thought that JB has been saying McCullough needs to gain weight and get stronger. I'm sure kids who think of themselves as going pro after one year tend to blow off things like that at times. Well, I doubt that there will ever be a more vivid demonstration for kid like Chris than to go up for a rebound and literally get crowd surfed out to the three point line!

And then to add insult to injury be fouled out on the play! You have to admit, it is kind of funny. I've never seen a play like that in decades of watching basketball. As far as BS calls go, it will go down with SUPLEX in preposterous Syracuse calls lore.