Sleigh-ride | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sleigh-ride

Of all the things that struck me about that play was the thought that JB has been saying McCullough needs to gain weight and get stronger. I'm sure kids who think of themselves as going pro after one year tend to blow off things like that at times. Well, I doubt that there will ever be a more vivid demonstration for kid like Chris than to go up for a rebound and literally get crowd surfed out to the three point line!

And then to add insult to injury be fouled out on the play! You have to admit, it is kind of funny. I've never seen a play like that in decades of watching basketball. As far as BS calls go, it will go down with SUPLEX in preposterous Syracuse calls lore.

It WAS funny, in an ironic way. Because it was another layer of awful calls in a game full of awful officiating.

Horrendous that it was a foul on CMac. Borderline indefensible.

I would estimate that from the point he jumped from, to where he got dumped, McCullough was carried 11 feet.

And its not like Villanova didn't undercut our players earlier in the game without getting away with it. One one long rebound, Tyler Roberson chased the ball down, but had Pinkston dive into his legs and take Roberson down--only to have the foul go against Roberson.

I mean--What.

Plus Cooney out near midcourt, Gbinije on a backdoor layup, and Roberson on the early alley-oop. Some dangerous plays in there.

The Roberson one, by the way, involved the chap without an fouls in his stat line. Ochefu came over Roberson's back on the rebound, pulled his right shoulder away while chasing down the loose ball, and then hit with in the head after Pinkston undercut them

I did..you are taught to box out and get position. He didn't know Chris was completely off his feet. He lost his balance cause of Chris's total weight on him and that's when he fell back with Chris on him. To me it seems like an obvious over the back call. If players and teams were reversed would you think it wasn't an over the back call on Villanova?

He didn't just box out he turned then pushed back because he was late boxing anyone out. Boxing out is being in front of the opponent and using your body position to give you the advantage for the rebound against that opponent. The Villanova player was in front of McC but hadn't matched up to box out any specific player. The Nova guy waited till the ball had bounced out too far to actually box out and pushed back after McC had jumped to get the rebound. Boxing out is done before the ball hits the hoop not after it's trajectory is known. McC has the right to the space below him to come down not to have his legs taken out by pushing back while he's in the air. Boxing out doesn't give one the right to the space behind them .

Last edited:
He didn't just box out he pushed back because he was late boxing out. Boxing out is being in front of the opponent and using your body position to give you the advantage for the rebound against an opponent. The Villanova player was in front of McC but hadn't matched up to box out any specific player. The Nova guy waited till the ball had bounced out too far to actually box out and pushed back after McC had jumped to get the rebound. Boxing out is done before the ball hits the hoop not after it's trajectory is known. McC has the right to the space below him to come down not to have his legs taken out by pushing back while he's in the air. Boxing out doesn't give one the right to the space behind them .
I just rewatched it again and again. you are correct. Chris is entitled to his space to come down. Tho it wasn't intentional and looked bad, the nova player did move back into him. It was a bad call. I'll eat my words on this and admit I was wrong.

I just rewatched it again and again. you are correct. Chris is entitled to his space to come down. Tho it wasn't intentional and looked bad, the nova player did move back into him. It was a bad call. I'll eat my words on this and admit I was wrong.

Spot on--because a player is entitled to come down in their vertical space. Clear foul on Nova.

the tough part was the ref calling the foul because of what happened after he missed the call. if CM doesnt get carried 10 ft he probably makes no call at all.

but the refs struggle to even get the clock right on replay.. last game was even worse at the end with resetting the clock