SMU vs BC Fenway Bowl | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SMU vs BC Fenway Bowl

well their coaches were fired or were allowed to leave.

were you ever in a class with substitute teachers? It was a lose/lose situation. I would have rathered this team play in a cold weather environment with some Syracuse fans there. It may have pushed them to compete a bit more. They went on a vacation essentially which i'm fine with but it was lose/lose
That's no excuse for not bothering to give effort.
Garrett showed up hurt against Wake Forest to get them to a bowl game after Dino was fired.
That was disgraceful to not bother to give their effort, after what Garrett did for them.
When someone like Garrett plays through injury, you need to man up.

SMU looked okay, they will compete in the ACC. Hafley is going to have to do something at QB. Tommy C just is not a good passer.

SMU looked okay, they will compete in the ACC. Hafley is going to have to do something at QB. Tommy C just is not a good passer.
Agreed on the smu part. They’re no top 25 team. They are a mid tier ACC team for sure. I’m willing to bet this was a sobering game for the SMU fans. ACC is perceived as the red headed step child of the power conferences, so I’m sure their fanbase was pretty confident in beating a .500 ACC team. The ACC is a stronger conference then perceived is what I’m saying

Rutgers looks like they are going to give a beat down to Miami. SMH.
Miami's started their #3 QB. His first snaps of the season. Their top rusher and 3 edge rushers went into the portal. The best guard and 2 starting safeties opted out for the NFL. Their second RB got carted off the field in the 1st quarter. A blocked punt was the difference in the game.

Agreed on the smu part. They’re no top 25 team. They are a mid tier ACC team for sure. I’m willing to bet this was a sobering game for the SMU fans. ACC is perceived as the red headed step child of the power conferences, so I’m sure their fanbase was pretty confident in beating a .500 ACC team. The ACC is a stronger conference then perceived is what I’m saying
Agree with what you’re saying. I’m sure it’s being justified (cold weather, rain, home game for BC, etc), but it’s sobering to be run on like that by BC.

The danger for BC, SU, and other mid to lower ACC teams is that they’ll only get better. It reminds me of when USF, Cincinnati, UConn, etc entered the Big East. None of those programs were better than Syracuse, but pretty soon they were beating us consistently on the field. It was depressing. Hopefully we will rise again before a team like SMU can cement itself in the upper echelon of the ACC.

Miami's started their #3 QB. His first snaps of the season. Their top rusher and 3 edge rushers went into the portal. The best guard and 2 starting safeties opted out for the NFL. Their second RB got carted off the field in the 1st quarter. A blocked punt was the difference in the game.
All true but Rutgers still beat Miami and watching Schiano and that team win a game like that is still sickening.

VT ran all over Tulane who supposedly has one of the best run defenses.

USF was an automatic loss when we decided to do the wildcat thing again. Against the worst passing D in FBS no less.

And give them credit because they brought the same effort vs us that they did against Bama. Our effort was very good the last 4 games so w/e very few snaps next year are going to guys on the current team outside of the notable stars like Wax, OG, Villari etc.

All true but Rutgers still beat Miami and watching Schiano and that team win a game like that is still sickening.
Miami isn’t good. Let’s hope they don’t get it together next year when they finally come to the Dome.

The Dungey drop kick season was their only genuinely successful season in 20 years of playing in the ACC so of course we played them that year.

Miami isn’t good. Let’s hope they don’t get it together next year when they finally come to the Dome.

The Dungey drop kick season was their only genuinely successful season in 20 years of playing in the ACC so of course we played them that year.
Playing them in 2017 cost us Gus Edwards as a transfer, their dickhead AD blocked him from transferring here because we were on their schedule. That may have cost us a bowl bid, considering the many close losses, and poor running game, we had before Dungey got hurt

They didn’t have a TE or RB available to take the majority of the snaps?

No instead they let their third string quarterback actually run their base offense. Apparently he was able to get enough snaps during the season to learn it. Weird.

Last edited:
Just add in that they didn't care about the game because they were hoping for a better bowl/playoffs and you'd have the Yahtzee.

Bowl Mania in the '20s, gotta love it!

Just add in that they didn't care about the game because they were hoping for a better bowl/playoffs and you'd have the Yahtzee.

Yup and rutgers went all in to win it. All their starters played.

Looked like they cared to me. It’s odd that we don’t give teams a pass in the regular season when they have lack of depth from injuries but are quick to flip the script on bowl games. A loss is a loss whatever the reason.

I thought Rutgers looked like a well coached team yesterday. They were night and day better than the way SU looked in their bowl game. Their defense looked good, there special teams scored a TD and their running back runs hard.

We could have played in the JMA and we would have gotten smashed.
Probably true. Marginally better result I would guess up north.

Neither here nor there. Don't care about that game once Dino was fired. Season ended then. The bowl eligible was the part that was good because the kids got a vacation out of it. Which is important for the team, the band, the cheerleaders, etc.

On to 2024

Probably true. Marginally better result I would guess up north.

Neither here nor there. Don't care about that game once Dino was fired. Season ended then. The bowl eligible was the part that was good because the kids got a vacation out of it. Which is important for the team, the band, the cheerleaders, etc.

On to 2024
Yeah it means nothing going forward, would have been nice to see sone effort but it gives Fran a clearer picture of who should stay and who didn’t seem to care

Miami was the cheapest and least disciplined team I have ever seen..their WR *#3 cost them the game. I hate Rutgers and Schiano but they are more disciplined than us, and equally as talented.

Miami is such a weird program. Part of the problem is their faculty was horrified by image of the university the football team created in the 80s. Some of what “revenue certainty” from joining the ACC was the ability to quietly de-emphasize football. But they’re also in a huge market, and with their historical success not having a good program creates negative media blowback.

Somehow they’ve managed to thread the needle that Syracuse tried to pull off in the 90s - invest enough to be just successful enough that boosters and local media feel like big success is right around the corner, while never actually investing enough to realize that level of success.

If and when the ACC implodes, some of the blame should go to Miami. The ACC was expecting they were adding a top ten program; Miami didn’t really want to be that. The ACC thought they were adding a Lamborghini, instead they were adding a Camry. Dependable, reliable 8-4 program that doesn’t really impress anyone - but gets the job done for the university.

I doubt SMU fans found much reason for concern in a bad weather bowl game which was essentially a road game. They were a marginal top 25 program this year, which all the metrics showed as well - it’s not like this was a top 10 team that lost to a .500 club.

Miami is such a weird program. Part of the problem is their faculty was horrified by image of the university the football team created in the 80s. Some of what “revenue certainty” from joining the ACC was the ability to quietly de-emphasize football. But they’re also in a huge market, and with their historical success not having a good program creates negative media blowback.

Somehow they’ve managed to thread the needle that Syracuse tried to pull off in the 90s - invest enough to be just successful enough that boosters and local media feel like big success is right around the corner, while never actually investing enough to realize that level of success.

If and when the ACC implodes, some of the blame should go to Miami. The ACC was expecting they were adding a top ten program; Miami didn’t really want to be that. The ACC thought they were adding a Lamborghini, instead they were adding a Camry. Dependable, reliable 8-4 program that doesn’t really impress anyone - but gets the job done for the university.
I’m not sure the “somehow” is much of a mystery.

When you’re in arguably the most fertile recruiting ground in the US, you can get by even if not really trying.