So about this 4 running backs thing | Syracusefan.com

So about this 4 running backs thing

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
We've heard this mentioned several times now that Coach feels you need four running backs.

I'm wondering a little bit what for?

Last season we really only had two. Gulley was the third back and got 13 carries. I suppose he may have managed a little more if he hadn't been injured.

The season before that we also really only had two. Collier had 12 carries and Mike Jones had 8.

Certainly you want some insurance on the depth chart, but given the track record so far it looks like we really only have a two back offense. Obviously Carter and Bailey were far ahead of #s 3 and 4 on the depth chart, so maybe it's just as simple as the two were both so good that they were the only ones that were going to see the ball. Maybe this year there's Ant and three guys without much separation between them, so we need all four?

I don't know. The statement insisting on four backs just seems weird to me given recent history. Maybe it hints at where this offense should be headed I hope. But, if Smith and Ameen-Moore really are that close, I'd prefer to see the guy that can redshirt take the year and learn.

Whoa, crazy. I'm a lame-o responding to my own post, but I went back and looked at 2008 just to see how many guys got carries and noticed something insane.

Depending on how Ant does this season, if he goes to the NFL the backfield from 2008 would have included 5 NFL players.

Brinkley
Hogue
Carter
Bailey
Fiametta

That blew my mind.

Whoa, crazy. I'm a lame-o responding to my own post, but I went back and looked at 2008 just to see how many guys got carries and noticed something insane.

Depending on how Ant does this season, if he goes to the NFL the backfield from 2008 would have included 5 NFL players.

Brinkley
Hogue
Carter
Bailey
Fiametta

That blew my mind.
Yeah we were loaded that year with running backs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom