So any chance we see some 3-3-5? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So any chance we see some 3-3-5?

Bingo. You have to live and breath your defensive philosophy. Its a culture. You cant be ready to change things around because of one DT. You will never be good defensively when you do things like that. True schemes don't waiver. They find a way to get it done. Its next man up mentality. You recruit and develop players for situations like this.

Who do you think fills the void assuming Williams is out an extended period of time?

I think I posted something misleading - I wasn't proposing a full shift to 3-3-5.

More thinking along the lines that the likelihood we see 3-3-5 alignments may be increased with this injury.
A single injury doesn't dictate defenses - offenses and personnel dictates alignments. With the injury if a team has 2xTE packages you will never see the 3-3-5. The injury is irrelevant.

No inside info, but I expect Tuazama to contribute this season. Based on everything we've heard about him as a prospect, and a few mentions in the spring, just makes sense. Harper needs to step up. Would be nice to find another surprise (Ruff 2018 campaign) between Morton, Harper, Shaq Gros.

There are teams that primarily run a 3-3-5 as their base defense. They accept the tradeoff of the positional alignment.

If the next DT up is a seive, we may very well have a better chance against the run with a different alignment.
I'm not a coach, so people can correct me if I'm wrong, but losing one of your big lineman would make it harder to run a 3-3-5, wouldn't it? Usually using 3 down lineman means they all have to be bigger so they can eat up O lineman and allow the back 8 the freedom to make all of the tackles. Our DE's are too small except for situational use of a formation like that, which I think we already did on passing downs.

Hopefully, the backup DT's are good enough to hold their ground in relief of the starters. They don't have to make plays. They just have to keep from getting blown up and let the LB's run clean.

We'll likely roll a DE inside and run more stunts to get penetration vs having a bulldozer like Slayton or Bear pushing 2 blockers into the backfield to collapse the pocket. Kind of how Ruff does it anyway and Coleman is damn sure strong enough to do so... Thanks to his dedication to S & C.

We'll probably give up a few more chunk plays but will also net more tfl's. Just thankful we have the bulls in the secondary with the physicality and smarts to run downhill and fill

Just my 2 cents, but I think the chances are slim and none. 3-3-5 requires much different personnel in the front than what we have. We've got the db's to play nickel sets, but up front it would be a difficult (and unwise) change.

How about this...let's have a little confidence that we've got younger guys who will respond when they get thrown into the fire. Curtis Harper, Grosvenor, and Zach Morton have all been on the shelf, but each one can play. A few of the frosh may surprise as well, I'm thinking Tuazama and Rondi here. The door is open for those guys to take their best shot. Let's see what happens.
I think we will see way more 4-3
Our secondary can hang with anyone and an extra LB will help shore up the run D. With Richards versatility. Dino said he could play DE, LB, and even safety my gut tells me he is going to see a ton of snaps.

Who do you think fills the void assuming Williams is out an extended period of time?
As a coach you have to believe in your ability to development the underbelly. Guys like Harper and Grosvenor have been in the program 3 years now. They have to contribute . Maybe they slide Kingsley inside for a few snaps. Maybe they go to a freshman DL for some snaps hoping to not blow his redshirt. Guys like Rondi or Tuazama

As a coach you have to believe in your ability to development the underbelly. Guys like Harper and Grosvenor have been in the program 3 years now. They have to contribute . Maybe they slide Kingsley inside for a few snaps. Maybe they go to a freshman DL for some snaps hoping to not blow his redshirt. Guys like Rondi or Tuazama
I also think it’s way too hard to switch 3 man front full time as it’s all new techniques and gaps that have to be covered where when we go 3 man on pash rush it’s dont care where ya go as long as u go fast and hard.

I favor a 5-5-5 with the cheerleaders distracting the refs.

Iowa St runs a 3-2-6. For someone like Syracuse who rarely ever will get the beefy, college ready DT's, this could be something that would suit us well.

Iowa St runs a 3-2-6. For someone like Syracuse who rarely ever will get the beefy, college ready DT's, this could be something that would suit us well.
I don't have the in-depth knowledge or experience that many here do, but I am wondering why not consider a 3-4 with the types of linebackers we have? Maybe not so much this year as it is a big change from what we have been running, but what about next year?

Iowa St plays in a pass happy BIG12. Could you imagine that defense in the ACC Atlantic? Dillon, Etienne, Akers, throw in Pitt's running game and that would be disaster city...

I don't have the in-depth knowledge or experience that many here do, but I am wondering why not consider a 3-4 with the types of linebackers we have? Maybe not so much this year as it is a big change from what we have been running, but what about next year?
Don't you usually need DE's that are nearly DT size and bigger linebackers to run a good 3-4? Alabama's is so good because they get NFL sized guys as freshman. With having difficulty finding/growing the DT's we have and having to get our LB's to grow from 210ish to D1 size now, it seems like it would be hard to run a base 3-4. I know we did it under Mac and in the first couple years of P though.