So are y'all buying the Big 10 hype | Syracusefan.com

So are y'all buying the Big 10 hype

SouthernCuse

Starter
I have watched very little big10 basketball, more ACC, BIG12, and SEC, but they are being projected for 10 bids, even 11 bids on some boards?
I know Penn State handled us pretty easily, and Iowa with a little more trouble. But that was the team that got embarrassed by Virginia at home, I believe we are a much better, though still limited, squad.
But I wonder, is the B10 that good this year?

Last edited:
They are going to get 9, 10 or 11 teams in the tourney. They are deep but lack elite tems.

I don't think they are as good as that on the floor, so I don't expect them to dominate the tourney, and they probably will not even have any top 2 seeds.

But based on the way they do the metrics they have earned those seeds. It's a flaw in the metrics that really helps conferences with high % of fairly good teams, but very few mediocre ones. You could tell by mid_December this was coming because as a group the conference was doing quite well OOC and had very few duds. (2 of 14 teams were not good heading into January)

They will have a good first weekend, then attrition will hit.

I still think depending on brackets they can get two in final four

It will be interesting to see how the committee splits them up accross the bracket especially since they will probably have 8 teams between the 3 and 7 seed lines.

With 11 teams, technically you can avoid intra-conference matchups until the round of 16. Rules do permit conference mates to meet in the round of 32, as long as they only played once all year. But despite that rule up to and including 2018 you can see in the brackets still had an unwritten policy that the committee tried their best to ensure conference mates did not meet until the elite 8..

Last year it was clear they abolished that unwritten policy and it became 100% about location , and there was much more opportunity for conference mates to meet in the round of 32 and the round of 16. I suspect the same will happen this year.

While they could spread 10/11 teams accross regions, I suspect they will not and there will be multiple 3/6 and 4/5 BIG matchups in the second round.

The B1G has made Rutgers relevant. I'm not buying it.

‘nuff said

like another poster said, they have a number of decent/good teams but no special teams

We dislike the BIG. And while they have not won the title in 20 year, it is historically a conference that has had a fair amount of trips to the final four, and some with average seeds.

So I can see that happening. It's also a numbers game this year.
I can also see them being severely underwhelming the first weekend like the Big East did back in 2011. (due in large part to perennial tourney chokers like Georgetown, Pitt and Notre Dame)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom