So at what point does someone start taking heat for this | Syracusefan.com

So at what point does someone start taking heat for this

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
2nd year in a row a major player has had eligibility issues, when does this ever happen at Duke, Unc, Kentucky Indiana etc. I love Coach but someone needs to be held accountable this is getting ridiculous.

I think someone just did but you are correct. This is unacceptable. They know who is in trouble or on the borderline. They need to sit on him. Don't do your school work. You don't play. It really is that simple. and only one person can demand that.

Maybe we take academic performance a little more seriously than some other teams?

the only time a player gets suspended here is when JB is forced to by NCAA regulations. he won't sit a player for any other reason. has he ever?

James Southerland is accountable. Like the OP said, tutors, study halls, and mentors are in place to help the student-athletes get their work done. Anything short of passing their classes is entirely, 100% on the student athletes. The players get punished in practice if they miss meetings with tutors and mentors or miss study halls. That's the only involvement needed by the coaches.

I'm disappointed in James and James only, here. He's accountable and that's it.

James Southerland is accountable. Like the OP said, tutors, study halls, and mentors are in place to help the student-athletes get their work done. Anything short of passing their classes is entirely, 100% on the student athletes. The players get punished in practice if they miss meetings with tutors and mentors or miss study halls. That's the only involvement needed by the coaches.

I'm disappointed in James and James only, here. He's accountable and that's it.
I dont get why more people dont get this. They must not have kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont get why more people dont get this. They must not have kids

JS is certainly responsible I dont think anyone is disputing that, but two years in a row at a top 10 bball program, thats not acceptable, period.

JS is certainly responsible I dont think anyone is disputing that, but two years in a row at a top 10 bball program, thats not acceptable, period.
Maybe the kid just doesnt care? Obviously he doesnt seeing this almost happened to him last year. Thats on the kid

So, in the last two years we've had two players not fulfill their academic requirements (if that's what JS' ineligibility is related to). How is this anybody else's fault other than the two players? They didn't do their work and they're paying the consequences. The coaches can't have somebody take their exams for them.

Btw, one of the schools you noted as not having issues like this, UNC, is in the middle of a controversy involving students taking an Afro-American Studies class that apparently didn't exist. Nice example.

Maybe the kid just doesnt care? Obviously he doesnt seeing this almost happened to him last year. Thats on the kid

I dont disagree but at a program like Syracuse its simply cant happen less two years in a row. There are supposed to be safeguards in place, again this doesnt happen at UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Indiana, Lville, etc

Marsh, obviously it is on the kid. Go to school. But when off the court stuff keeps happening here, something isn't right. The football team seems to keep their kids playing. Why is that?

Marsh, obviously it is on the kid. Go to school. But when off the court stuff keeps happening here, something isn't right. The football team seems to keep their kids playing. Why is that?
I hear ya

I dont disagree but at a program like Syracuse its simply cant happen less two years in a row. There are supposed to be safeguards in place, again this doesnt happen at UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Indiana, Lville, etc
Agreed. Kentucky will be getting theirs sooner than later. Paging pat forde

Is this the reason our director of operations suddenly resigned a few weeks ago? Just guessing?

Jeremy and dasher are right - this has been going on for decades. If kids know that they won't sit for blowing off schoolwork, there's one fewer incentive and they're more likely to take things to a crisis point.

Syracuse provides every resource possible to help its student-athletes academically, team managers are assigned a player to make sure they go to class, people are available to help with homework and studying, and the players are punished in practice if they miss class or don't show up for studying/mentoring sessions. What more do you want JB or the program to do? Eventually, you have to blame these adult, student-athletes for being immature.

Syracuse provides every resource possible to help its student-athletes academically, team managers are assigned a player to make sure they go to class, people are available to help with homework and studying, and the players are punished in practice if they miss class or don't show up for studying/mentoring sessions. What more do you want JB or the program to do? Eventually, you have to blame these adult, student-athletes for being immature.
there is still one more thing. You don't pass your classes, you don't play. Discipline isn't something you do to someone. It's something you do for someone. JS will need his degree. He obviously needed a kick in the @ss. He gets them for not getting back on defense.

there is still one more thing. You don't pass your classes, you don't play. Discipline isn't something you do to someone. It's something you do for someone. JS will need his degree. He obviously needed a kick in the @ss. He gets them for not getting back on defense.

This. Or you don't play if you miss X number of classes. Or bomb an exam. Or plagiarize.

But that penalty does not exist in the basketball program.

It's primarily the fault of the student who didn't do his job. No doubt about it. But there are other ways to encourage them to do the right thing, and not all of those are in place on this particular team.

Southerland didn't pass, or whatever the infraction is, and JB and the school (not the NCAA) are punishing him for it by not allowing him to play. It seems to me that the program is doing the right thing. Just like with Fab Melo's suspensions, the school and JB suspended him both times. It's not like they waited for the NCAA to get involved before disciplining him.