So at what point does someone start taking heat for this | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So at what point does someone start taking heat for this

we've got a coach pulling down give or take 1 cool million a season and who's success any season largely hinges on the GPA'S of roughly 5 top players and he can't get a handle on it. JB should have known about southerland 5 weeks ago.
You are an idiot! So the coach is responsible for going to class with kids and helping them study.

short answer yes. the head coach is responsible for putting a system in place to keep his top players eligible .
if you lose an athlete due to injury then it's just tough luck. when you lose an athlete thru academic or disciplinary measures then your system has failed and you shoulder the blame. that simple imo.

short answer yes. the head coach is responsible for putting a system in place to keep his top players eligible .
if you lose an athlete due to injury then it's just tough luck. when you lose an athlete thru academic or disciplinary measures then your system has failed and you shoulder the blame. that simple imo.

And I suppose the coach is responsible for taking their tests, writing their papers and generally ensuring that they are engaged in class? I think not!

And I suppose the coach is responsible for taking their tests, writing their papers and generally ensuring that they are engaged in class?

When it happens repeatedly it means either:

A) the coach is bringing in the wrong types of characters, or

B) the school does not know how to game the system. we might have a 2nd trophy last April if not for SU regulators playing the role of overgrown boy scouts. NCAA sanctions can take away scholarships and post-season appearances, but they can't erase memories of glory and celebration.

JB has stated in the past that he treats the players like adults and not kids. Therefore they are responsible for their own actions and consequences. Former players have stated he runs the team like an NBA team by treating them like adults and not treating them like kids as if they were in high school. I kind of find it funny that when things like this happen they are shocked. The times JB steps in is when it affects eligibility, otherwise he allows the players to deal with any issues, take responsibility and deal with consequences outside the game. I am not saying he is not there for them, I am sure he is and gives advice as needed and/or requested, however that is between him and the player and we will never be privy to what goes on behind closed doors. So to assume JB is not aware or involved is naive in my opinion. So lets stop blaming JB, the program and even the school and place the blame where it belongs...on the ADULT player.

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

When it happens repeatedly it means either:

A) the coach is bringing in the wrong types of characters, or

B) the school does not know how to game the system. we might have a 2nd trophy last April if not for SU regulators playing the role of overgrown boy scouts. NCAA sanctions can take away scholarships and post-season appearances, but they can't erase memories of glory and celebration.

This has got to be the dumbest post i have seen in a while. You want JB to risk a reputation that he has built almost 40 years and risk a program that he has literally put his life into for a few wins and possible championships? Then you are obviously not an informed fan of the program and JB.

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

This has got to be the dumbest post i have seen in a while. You want JB to risk a reputation that he has built almost 40 years and risk a program that he has literally put his life into for a few wins and possible championships? Then you are obviously not an informed fan of the program and JB.

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

I could care less about JB's reputation. He is reputed for many things, and not all are saintly, so let's end the charade that he is running a Catholic charity on the hill for the last 40 years. All the top programs are corrupt - it's just a matter of who gets caught and who is willing to roll the dice. As a fan I want the program to win at the highest level. Nothing more or less. It'd be nice if the players studied, went to class, and volunteered with Habitat for Humanity so we can tell our wives and children that they are wonderful role models. We may pull for those players to succeed, but that's not what makes us fans. We're fans because we want to be entertained and it provides a nice outlet from our responsibilities in this world. If you can't be honest with yourself, then I suggest seeing a shrink.

I could care less about JB's reputation. He is reputed for many things, and not all are saintly, so let's end the charade that he is running a Catholic charity on the hill for the last 40 years. All programs are dirty - it's just a matter of who gets caught and who is willing to roll the dice. As a fan I want the program to win at the highest level. Nothing more or less. It'd be nice if the players studied and went to class so we can tell our wives and children that they are wonderful role models, but that's not what makes us fans. We're fans because we want to be entertained and it provides a nice outlet from our responsibilities in this world. If you can't be honest with yourself, then I suggest seeing a shrink.

So you are for doing whatever it takes? Reputation means nothing? You obviously do not know what being a true fan means. I am assuming you dont know what the word ethics means...i pity you...

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

I don't understand the "don't blame JB" argument. I approach it from 2 perspectives:

One, these kids were recruited to play hoops. We know that most of them could not have gotten admission otherwise. Academically they need help. Further, as I understand it, and is the practice at every major program, the need guidance and monitoring. It appears someone dropped the ball.

Second, this is a business which is riding on the backs of 18-22 year old kids that often don't have the skills or maturity to do it alone. They need oversight and guidance. The business needs their performance.

I'm not sure if JB is responsible or the AD but 2 years in a row is unacceptable.

I don't understand the "don't blame JB" argument. I approach it from 2 perspectives:

One, these kids were recruited to play hoops. We know that most of them could not have gotten admission otherwise. Academically they need help. Further, as I understand it, and is the practice at every major program, the need guidance and monitoring. It appears someone dropped the ball.

Second, this is a business which is riding on the backs of 18-22 year old kids that often don't have the skills or maturity to do it alone. They need oversight and guidance. The business needs their performance.

I'm not sure if JB is responsible or the AD but 2 years in a row is unacceptable.

The difference is they are not kids but adults. If they can not succeed with all the assistance they get in school what are they gonna do out? JB treats them like adults as that is what they are and what they are going to have to deal with after college. Better to learn lessons now rather in the real world...JB treats them like adults in the real world. When would people suggest they start getting treated as adults, responsible for their own actions and consequences? After high school? After college? I would argue that after college it is too late.

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

So you are for doing whatever it takes? Reputation means nothing? You obviously do not know what being a true fan means. I am assuming you dont know what the word ethics means...i pity you...

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

Let me know when WikiPedia has a definition for "true fan". I'm dying to read it.

It's not one fail. He's a senior. You have no idea how a GPA is calculated. To be where JS is means you have had 4 years of c's and just got an I or F.
Yes I do have and idea of how GPA is calculated. (BS and graduate studies here!) As a senior, on line to graduate, JS should have high enough GPA to survive 1 F or I. Summer studies should actually put him a little ahead at this pont, so they can take barely enought to matriculate these last 2 semesters. If he has a 2.000 GPA, yeah one class could pull him below, but one whould hope that his GPA was like 2.1 or 2.2 and one F shouldn't bring it below 2.0. Again, the statement said "eligibilty matter". Maybe it was something other than grades. Heaven forbid has to do with an agent!

Frankly, I'm just sick & tired of yet ANOTHER controversy in this program, academic or otherwise.
"Eligibility issues" could mean any number of things and to be honest I could care less.
Obviously, I want JS to be in good shape academically, graduate, get his degree- and lead the team to another NC.
But the days of smooth sailing over an entire season, seem to be a thing of the past for this program. And there's absolutely NO EXCUSE for that, IMO.
Its to the point now where you're no longer surprised, just disgusted. That's clearly unacceptable by any objective measure.

Marsh, obviously it is on the kid. Go to school. But when off the court stuff keeps happening here, something isn't right. The football team seems to keep their kids playing. Why is that?
You can't even remember the last football game? I understand frustration, I have it too. But it happens to all the programs and not just here. Its here that we feel it though.

I went on a recruiting trip with my brother who was being recruited for baseball. He was not the best student and struggled with academics in high school. What the head coach told him was "We have a system in place to get you any kind of help any TIME you need it. There will always be a tutor available any time of day in the athlete study hall. There was a mandatory 1 hour study hall session for your first two years after that it is on you. If you don't make grades you will not be allowed on the team."

So basically there is a system in place but it is on the individual to use the system. It is the RESPONSIBILITY of the player to use the system. It is not the responsibility of the program to follow around each individual player and make sure they go to every class and turn in every assignment.

If Southerland failed to meet the academic requirements then that is on Southerland not the program. The program and support in place for the student athlete if the student doesn't take advantage of said support then that falls squarely on the student.

"and place the blame where it belongs...on the ADULT player."

again as stated above this is what i find so funny about the fan base. depending on how it suits the argument it's either
"cut them some slack they're just kids" or "they should all be treated as responsible adults" i give up.

Let me know when WikiPedia has a definition for "true fan". I'm dying to read it.

Oh yeah wikipedia is 100% accurate and can be trusted to be a reliable source of information and knowledge...pffftt...:confused:

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

Blue Curtain, you are so far off base this time it's really sickening.
You want players to be available to play for you regardless of their input into academics. You want someone in the University to make it an easy slide to keep eligible regardless of what is done by the player.
This is a great lifetime example to set for a young man!
We have enough of our society already that always looks for somebody or something to blame instead of taking personal responsibility for their own actions.
Just creating another bozo with their lawyer on speed dial.

2nd year in a row a major player has had eligibility issues, when does this ever happen at Duke, Unc, Kentucky Indiana etc. I love Coach but someone needs to be held accountable this is getting ridiculous.

Google the following - Duke Lance Thomas or Corey Maggette, Kentucky Enes Kanter, Indiana Hanner Perea or Peter Jurkin, North Carolina and ummm that's probably enough.

Let's find out exactly what the issue is before we start holding someone accountable.

You hit the nail on the head there. This certainly isn't Duke.

No doubt about that. What surprises me is that you haven't rec'd the "Duke are a bunch of whiners" response and the Duke sucks responses.

44cuse

The number of people here arguing about who should be held accountable without even knowing what JS was suspended for in the first place is quite comical.

The number of people here arguing about who should be held accountable without even knowing what JS was suspended for in the first place is quite comical.

Pretty sure it isn't even academics. Probably improper benefits which could really be anything.

And people claiming academics should be more focused is funny. They get so much help and work with tutors that they're forced to go to it's funny. Boeheim and the support staff can only do so much.

The attitude most college athletes have is "D's get degrees". Let's go ball. I'm not here for school.

Pretty sure it isn't even academics. Probably improper benefits which could really be anything.

And people claiming academics should be more focused is funny. They get so much help and work with tutors that they're forced to go to it's funny. Boeheim and the support staff can only do so much.

The attitude most college athletes have is "D's get degrees". Let's go ball. I'm not here for school.
Well, the article by Mike Waters (see OE above) quotes a source close to Southerland as saying "The suspension is due to an academic matter".

Well, the article by Mike Waters (see OE above) quotes a source close to Southerland as saying "The suspension is due to an academic matter".

fair enough. lazy and didn't read it.