So, can we all agree that DM's claim..... | Syracusefan.com

So, can we all agree that DM's claim.....

44PRIDE

All Conference
Now that DM's true colors have been exposed, I just wanted to clear the air on something that's been nagging at me since this whole fiasco started.

I think its safe to say his claims that fan hate mail is what drove him away was all a bullshit copout excuse he used to justify his exit. Maybe there were some nastygrams sent, but I always though it was a shitty move to blame the fans.

Now that DM's true colors have been exposed, I just wanted to clear the air on something that's been nagging at me since this whole fiasco started.

I think its safe to say his claims that fan hate mail is what drove him away was all a bullshit copout excuse he used to justify his exit. Maybe there were some nastygrams sent, but I always though it was a shitty move to blame the fans.

Sadly, I think you're right. I was a big Marrone fan from the git-go, but blaming the fans for one of his reasons for moving on was kind of bush league. What about the numerous fans like myself and others who supported him through thick and thin? We didn't need a thank you, but an acknowledgement on his part that there were supportive fans along with the FloridaSteve types would have been nice. But I have moved on: The Doug is dead! Long live The Shaf!

Bottom line is it appears he only saw the negatives and refused to look at why fans were negative. There is no excuse for people sending mail that attacks him or his family, but I am sure a lot of that mail wasn't as much hate mail, as it was strongly opinionated(see this board when closed practices were announced). He refused to look at the fans who stuck with the team through its worst decade, or the ones who showed up after he and his coaching staff lead the team to a 5 game collapse to end the season.

Doug only sees an 8-5 season, and it seems he doesnt recognize that he left a lot to be desired on the field at different times over his four years. Doug Marrone seems to be Doug Marrone's biggest fan.

Lastly, he is going to get rocked by mail in buffalo. No question he is in fort a rude awakening.

Doug is dead to me but didn't see quote where bashed fans... I'm sure he did however

Teos girlfriend sent them. She's awful

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

After more than a decade of futility the Bills only average around 65,000 in an open air stadium. It's a passionless fanbase that always has good things to say about the Bills mgmt team. He's on easy street.

Eh, you're probably right but I would at least point out that, as someone who worked for local newspapers, it doesn't take many misguided, ill-informed letters from fans or parents to make think, "F them." Having said that, however, it certainly wouldn't be the reason to leave a job and I would think it essentially comes as part of territory for coaches these days.

Eh, you're probably right but I would at least point out that, as someone who worked for local newspapers, it doesn't take many misguided, ill-informed letters from fans or parents to make think, "F them." Having said that, however, it certainly wouldn't be the reason to leave a job and I would think it essentially comes as part of territory for coaches these days.

We certainly don't know all the factors, but in the end, HCDM either lost his affection for the job or simply BS'd everyone from the start about "dream job", building young men who behave and act with integrity, statements about leaving the program in great shape (and then gutting the coaching staff), etc.

He did a decent job while here - particularly in his final season... but his exit exposed that he was yanking our chain about alot of stuff he said. He went out on a limb and said a lot of stuff about being a dedicated alma mater alum, dream job, building men that act with integrity... lots of stuff he didn't have to say... and words that rightfully bite him in the arse after his mercenary-style exit to the NFL...

Decent 4 year track record here for sure and I am very happy he ressurected us from the depths of Hell... VERY happy... An that is a good part of his legacy...

It's also quite possible he always viewed this job as a stepping stone and if/when tapped for an NFL HC job, he would bolt to his real "dream job"... and his comments otherwise were simply insincere. I think that many feel that is the case, hence the problem with how he exited.

But his exit puts a black mark on his legacy... and it should...

We certainly don't know all the factors, but in the end, HCDM either lost his affection for the job or simply BS'd everyone from the start about "dream job", building young men who behave and act with integrity, statements about leaving the program in great shape (and then gutting the coaching staff), etc.

He did a decent job while here - particularly in his final season... but his exit exposed that he was yanking our chain about alot of stuff he said. He went out on a limb and said a lot of stuff about being a dedicated alma mater alum, dream job, building men that act with integrity... lots of stuff he didn't have to say... and words that rightfully bite him in the arse after his mercenary-style exit to the NFL...

Decent 4 year track record here for sure and I am very happy he ressurected us from the depths of Hell... VERY happy... An that is a good part of his legacy...

But his exit puts a black mark on his legacy... and it should...

I made fun of his developing men with integrity stuff from day 1. I also think 4 years is long enough to sour on any job -- dream job or otherwise. And, as for "gutting" the staff, the NFL is a zero sum game. If those are the guys he thinks can help him win and win quick, he really has no choice but to bring them along. I think it's more surprising that he wanted all those guys -- not knocking them but I was just surprised.

maybe wheatley and adkins felt slighted they werent offered the oc job, that could be why they left. as for henderson and anselmo, they were personal friends of marrone... i wonder why they are going to buffalo with marrone, this gutting the staff comment is getting extremely overblown

I made fun of his developing men with integrity stuff from day 1. I also think 4 years is long enough to sour on any job -- dream job or otherwise. And, as for "gutting" the staff, the NFL is a zero sum game. If those are the guys he thinks can help him win and win quick, he really has no choice but to bring them along. I think it's more surprising that he wanted all those guys -- not knocking them but I was just surprised.

Yeah - look at his Bills presser... stated "...will be hiring assistants with thorough NFL experience..."

We can all see how that worked out...

Either the guys he wanted did not want to work with him (and/or more likely) had zero interest going to the the coaching graveyard that is Buffalo...

Hence, plan B, take my Cuse assistants...

Marrone is what he is. Despite looking like a big tough guy that does big tough guy things the bottom line is he's pretty sensitive and seems to have fragile confidence.

Marrone is what he is. Despite looking like a big tough guy that does big tough guy things the bottom line is he's pretty sensitive and seems to have fragile confidence.

I don't think it's a confidence thing... I just think he might get easily PO'd over things he can't directly control (like fan and media scrutiny, fannies in the seats, etc.)

If that is true, he's got a tough slog in Buffalo where scrutiny is concerned...

based on what?

based on what?
Aye yi yi

Based on his treatment of the media, comments about the fans, occasional thinned skin reactions.

I really didn't make a bold claim there, boss.

It's amazing to me that anyone on the board would hate on the man who brought us back from the dead. He left for the NFL, not tennessee or wisconsin or Rutgers!! he was an offensive coach who brought his offensive guys with him. All the defensive guys stayed, maybe shafer wanted his own system in place, we are in good hands going forward
by the way, im a bills fan and i love the hire

Aye yi yi

Based on his treatment of the media, comments about the fans, occasional thinned skin reactions.

I really didn't make a bold claim there, boss.
Thats all it is though... a claim
fan support does suck on the hill, im not at all suprised he called us out, as for the media blackouts, get over it, we still got to watch the team on saurday, its been a lot better football these past four years

when did marrone say fan support was the reason he left?

He didn't publically, that is for sure.

It was more how his wife and kids were treated. Not him. Let's get some facts straight.

I don't think it's a confidence thing... I just think he might get easily PO'd over things he can't directly control (like fan and media scrutiny, fannies in the seats, etc.)

If that is true, he's got a tough slog in Buffalo where scrutiny is concerned...

Agree. I think he is a borderline control freak personality